2.1 for 'normal' users from HTC website

Guest hp1

Hi all i'm using R5 but my mate who is happy to use standard official ROMS from HTC is confused as to what he needs to do to update his Orange UK Hero to 2.1.

I notice on the website there are TWO packages involved in the update. FRom what I can see he needs to manually update to 2.73.405.5 using the RUU and only then will he receive a notification from HTC that he can install the OTA? Is this right?

cheers

EDIT: The Orange Build Numbers are different from the generic HTC ones. Does he now have to wait for the Orange RUU to enable the OTA update (IIRC Orange Serial Numbers wont work for the generic RUU download)

Edited by hp1

Guest uk786

Hi there,

I can not guarantee this (worked with a friend) but apparently if you change the date to a year back, then check for software updates via phone it should find the OTA update.

Hi there,

I can not guarantee this (worked with a friend) but apparently if you change the date to a year back, then check for software updates via phone it should find the OTA update.

There is no option to check for updates in 1.5, at least on the version he has installed. Maybe thats the functionality the first RUU adds?

Edited by hp1

So this will bring him upto 2.1 Official Generic ROM without the need for OTA. One assumes that if he DID want to wait he will have to wait for the Orange version?

Guest sambartle

If it's an Orange phone my guess is he can't until HTC Release an Orange based update.. which could take a while given the slow speed HTC work at.. coupled with the Slow speed Orange work at!

The normal RUU wont work. (That is... It will work technically but it wont install on an Orange branded phone)

Orange will want to test it thoroughly (especially since it appears that 2.1 partially breaks voice mail notifications for Orange users) and so it'll be a couple of months yet most likely.

Edited by sambartle