Vote of thanks

Guest Paul Gillingwater

Guest Paul Gillingwater

Just logged in to support Modaco with an ad-free subscription. I've been rocking Modaco 3.0 Core for several months, and now I'm getting excited about 4.0.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I have a few assumptions:

1) 2.1 will support Google Navigation with voice prompts

2) I'll be able to stream audio via Bluetooth and pair more reliably for file transfer

3) 2.1 will support tethering natively (without an App)

4) The Hero will be faster, smoother and use memory without constant errors about running out (this is getting more frequent)

There's a scrolling bug with the 1.5 kernel that seems to intermittently cause a major jump when scrolling through long lists. Is this fixed with the 2.1 firmware?

Most importantly -- is it true that HTC are unlikely to ever port 2.2 to the Hero, and does this mean we can contemplate a community-supported 2.2 -- and perhaps beyond?

Finally, I'd like to add a vote to the request for two versions of the kernel -- with and without overclocking.

cheers!

Paul

Guest toxic-hero

1. yes, if you're using it in a country where this google's service is enabled (uk, usa...). i don't know about voice prompts.

2. yes.

3. no.

4. for me hero with MCR 3.2 was already very smooth and fast. opinions about 2.1 vary but it certainly isn't FAR MORE faster or smother.

yes, it seems we'd never seen official 2.2 on hero. there is a project of porting Cyanogen Mod with 2.2 to hero but it's in alpha stage at the moment and also doesen't include sense UI. i doubt we'll se 2.2 with sense in any stable form on our heros.

Guest Skywrit3r

1) Navigation works in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and Switzerland.

For other countries download Maps Brut

3) USB tether yes. Wireless tether no

Edited by Skywrit3r

Guest Paul Gillingwater
1) Navigation works in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and Switzerland.

For other countries download Maps Brut

3) USB tether yes. Wireless tether no

Thanks for the info. I'm in Austria, so hopefully navigation should work here, however there is an implementation question: will it work if you lose 3G coverage, by "anticipating" the route and downloading all maps at a reasonable resolution before you actually get there? Perhaps this is a dream, but it seems to me that pre-caching the maps on a calculated route would provide good coverage for those times when you have a GPS signal but no 3G.

Regarding Wi-Fi tethering -- yeah, I see that's a 2.2 feature. Hopefully it can be backported, or 2.2 shoehorned in on the Hero.

Finally, does anyone remember a small Scandinavian company which claimed to be able to substantially improve the JIT performance of the Dalvik JVM? I wonder what happened to them.... I'm not referring to this: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/201...dalvik-jit.html

cheers!

Regarding Wi-Fi tethering -- yeah, I see that's a 2.2 feature. Hopefully it can be backported, or 2.2 shoehorned in on the Hero

Just install Wireless Tether for Root Users. Works fine (tho never managed to get it to work on bluetooth).

Edited by hp1

Guest Paul Gillingwater
The only scrolling bug I see is when scrolling through messages.

With 1.5 I see this scrolling bug in pretty much any really long page of text. I've tried a couple of different Web browsers, which tells me it's not in the App. The behaviour is regular scrolling with several flicks, followed by one flick which causes scrolling to go much further (usually to the end of the document.) I'm not aware of a shortcut gesture for "scroll to end".

BTW, is there a link to the Hero kitchen now I'm a subscriber? :-)

Guest Dan Mullen

Voice prompts definitely work in the UK - I used Google Navigation over the weekend and it worked extremely well. Didn't use too much data either.