Help needed for novice who is new to gsm phones

Guest jbarrick

Guest jbarrick

I recently switch to Tmobile and found the b7610 which in theory I love. But I although I am a good novice on the computer I am new to gsm phones. I have been messing with various configurations and figured my way through the csc files to match my keyboard, but I cant get the right setup for mms sending of pictures. Niether can I get my wifi to connect to anything. Can someone help me out with a good configuration of files. I have been boucing back and forth from xxjc2 and xxil2 and used both full and lite roms.

If you can help I would buy you some beers :) Just tell me what you want to know and I will respond, I would just like to get this phone to work the way it is suppose to.

Guest Cisplatin

You need to go to your local operator's (T-mobile) web site and find your T-Mobile's MMS&GPRS settings! It is easy. T-mobile have good guides.

Where are you from? Because different countries have different settings. Tell me that and I can write you a guide.

Guest jbarrick

I am in the USA. I feel stupid for asking these questions because on one of my configuration I did have MMS working before. I even saved the webpage that I had previously found, but following it again I am not doing something right to get it working. So if you have a guide to give me that would be great.And to be clear I have never had a problem with sms or phone, only MMS.

Does this do anything for me? copied from samsung-omnia.org

Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer

With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#

Select 'Preconfiguration'

Enter code *#81230*# and select OK"

And my wifi problems are not with tmobile gprs, it is with getting it to conect to a local AP. Is the the problem is with my mac address? (I have had several before but currently it is 09af52cbd415) Both samsung wifi app and MS wifi shows the routers and lets me click on the connect button but after a few seconds it just says available again. But in contrast if I use the usb to the laptop I can access the web that way. But I want to do it wirelessly.

Currently I am using

csc b7610nxxil4 (but using the DBT german based file, it matches my keyboard, but so does the one from spain ATO)

eboot b7610nxxil2

movinand b7610xxil2

phone b7610xxil1

and I am using deskalog megalite 23568 (although I have install most of the samsung stuff back, but have also been tring full offical roms)

I will gladly compensate you for your time in helping me, I have looked at so much stuff I am now just confused and forgot what I have done and tried already.

So I guess I should start by asking if I have a good combination of firmware files?

Guest Cisplatin

For MMS try these. And MMS should work on any ROM on any carrier and in any country. You just have to know how to set it up.

EDIT: Cooked (unofficial) 6.5.X roms (but only 6.5.X --> 6.5 are OK) could be problematic. I say that because I know I had problems with my HTC Touch HD. You have build 23568 which is 6.5.5.

Anyway, here are the steps and settings:

Step 1. Setup GPRS connection for T-Mobile network:

Start > Settings > Connections (tab) > Connections > Advanced (tab) > Select Networks > New...

Enter the name for the profile (e.g. T-Mobile), then go to "Modem" tab and click "New...", enter name for the connection (e.g. T-Mobile Data), choose "Cellular line (GPRS, 3G)" in the drop-down menu, click "Next", the access point should be "wap.voicestream.com", click "Next", leave all fields blank on this page, click "Finish". Now go to "Proxy Settings" tab and select "This network connects to the Internet".

Click "Ok" all the way out.

Step 2. Setup MMS:

Start > Programs > Messaging > Menu > Tools > Options... > MMS > Servers (tab) > New

Server name: (you name it) (eg. TM USA MMS)

Gateway: 216.155.165.50

Port Number: 8080

Server address: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms

Connect via: (the connection you created in step 1)

Sending size limitation: 300K

WAP Version: WAP 2.0

Click "Ok", set this new entry as default

Tell me if it worked. Don't reflash rom, we will find the solution.

Now, wifi is another story. Maby your router is blocking the phone.

Edited by Cisplatin

Guest jbarrick

Ok I tried the cab but I dont see what it did nor did it do anything different. but following your previous post

Step 2. Setup MMS:

Start > Programs > Messaging > Menu > Tools > Options... > MMS > Servers (tab) > New

I dont understand where I am suppose to be going, i cant follow this tab order.

If I go back to the connections tab I can go to my mms network but I dont think this is correct. And if I go to samsung messaging I can edit my profile there with these headings. MMS profile / MMSC / Data connection / gateway / IP address / Port

So I added your listing there with your server address under mmsc, use the tmobile data connection I created, gateway is wap 2.0, ip is your gateway number, and your port. but still nothing

Guest new2city

i might not be so helpful here, but in my setup, whenever I power up my phone, it will detect a new sim card and ask if I want to reconfigure my 2G, 3G and so on. If I select my connection(3G), it will do all the configuration automatically. I have tried many customised(megalite) ROMS from Daskalos and it works every time, with one pre-requisite, you must have Samsung Settings installed.

It works everytime...

Guest Cisplatin
Ok I tried the cab but I dont see what it did nor did it do anything different. but following your previous post

Step 2. Setup MMS:

I dont understand where I am suppose to be going, i cant follow this tab order.

If I go back to the connections tab I can go to my mms network but I dont think this is correct. And if I go to samsung messaging I can edit my profile there with these headings. MMS profile / MMSC / Data connection / gateway / IP address / Port

So I added your listing there with your server address under mmsc, use the tmobile data connection I created, gateway is wap 2.0, ip is your gateway number, and your port. but still nothing

Ok, you have samsung messaging. These guide is for standard and I have Daskalos's "htc 1.5 messaging" atm, so I can't give you correct numbers.

Hm, now try these:

MMS Profile: TM USA MMS

MMSC: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms

Data Connections: name from step 1

Gateway: WAP 2.0

IP ADDRESS: 216.155.165.50

Port: 9201

Port number could be 9201 or 8080

EDIT: I edited IP address last digits are 50, not 050

EDIT 2: With these settings it should definitely work! And maby you should uncheck "This network connects to the Internet" in step 1.

EDIT 3: Do you use internet plan? try MMSC = http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Edited by Cisplatin

Guest jbarrick

just got back far a sad visit to the vet so I will try these new suggestions tomarrow. But I am puzzled by this to because the phone when first powered on says it detected a tmobile usa sim card and set the settings. Then in samsung settings I can go to the operator settings and it says that sms and mms setting are set for tmobile usa. It worked at one time so I know it is just figuring it out.

Thansk for the help everyone I will post tomarrow afetr I have time to work on it again.

BTW I currently do not have an internet plan just text picture messaging.

on your quick edit #3 should I try that only if I have internet or just try it anyway.

Edited by jbarrick