Got my Galaxy S today

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

I got a 16gb Galaxy S today. Now what? LOL

It's from Singapore (I'm in Los Angeles). I had to manually set the APN information, but works fine on 3G and voice with AT&T SIM from my iPhone.

Out of respect for Paul and modaco, first web page I loaded up once I'd established working cell data was modaco.com! :)

Guess I've got a bit of reading to do, as rooting and custom roms are what Android's all about for me. That and the Google account and Google Voice integration.

I have to say, the Super AMOLED screen rocks. Not quite sure it's as sharp as the iPhone 4 I am testing, but it holds its own on the NewYorkTimes.com test that Apple loves to use to show off iPhone displays.

Guest aeo087
I got a 16gb Galaxy S today. Now what? LOL

It's from Singapore (I'm in Los Angeles). I had to manually set the APN information, but works fine on 3G and voice with AT&T SIM from my iPhone.

Out of respect for Paul and modaco, first web page I loaded up once I'd established working cell data was modaco.com! :)

Guess I've got a bit of reading to do, as rooting and custom roms are what Android's all about for me. That and the Google account and Google Voice integration.

I have to say, the Super AMOLED screen rocks. Not quite sure it's as sharp as the iPhone 4 I am testing, but it holds its own on the NewYorkTimes.com test that Apple loves to use to show off iPhone displays.

I've got the same one you have, as of right now I'd wait a little before flashing the new rom, there's an issue with the market right now.... Go ahead and download the JG1 firmware to get rid of the singtel crapware it comes with.

Guest DistortedLoop
I've got the same one you have, as of right now I'd wait a little before flashing the new rom, there's an issue with the market right now.... Go ahead and download the JG1 firmware to get rid of the singtel crapware it comes with.

Damn, seems there's always an issue with the market, every ROM, every phone! LOL.

I'm downloading the JG1 right now. Trying to figure out how to install it.

Looks like you need windows - then use the Odin.exe application. Lucky i have VMWare on my Mac.

I'll muddle through it, but I wish Paul had a sticky walkthrough on getting to JG1 rather than just the reference to making sure you have JG1 already installed before going to MCR.

Thanks for the warning on the Market.

Even this Singapore ROM looks slick, seems smooth - not sure I'd even bother with custom ROMs except I want superuser for some of my apps that require it. I have to say, though that MCR and Cyanogen totally rocked my Nexus One.

Guest Andrew Luecke

It works fine after you run the MCR scripts... I had the Singtel firmware too (keyword is HAD), and everything now works fine here in Australia with the Modaco rom. And no, I don't regret switching ROM's at all, especially since I have used kitchen to remove all apps which are available in the marketplace, so that I can uninstall almost any non-core app. I wish modaco marked the specific ones which are, so that people can create minimal installations easier

It's a pity that Mobile phone carriers can get away with trashing phones with their own ROM's, but it's probably also why most carrier specific stores don't leave working phones out on display (most choose to keep fake ones out, until someone asks to see a working example). It is also probably one reason why the iPhone has become so popular, because Apple refuses to add branded carrier crap onto their phones ruining the experience. Why the hell would Singtel believe that their users would definitely want their apps?

But yeah, the Modaco rom works great. Keep in mind:

1) When flashing JG1, use the OXE1 CSC, it's in english, whilst the SGE one is apparently in Russian.

2) I installed CSC/Modem/PDA.. Everything seems to work here in Australia, but haven't tested 3G yet (waiting on my 3G SIM which arrives tomorrow).

3) I wiped everything from /data by going to About phone==>USB settings==> Mass transfer first before installing JG1. Yes things will get screwy on the phone, but I prefer a fresh start, since /data doesn't seem to get wiped.

4) The kitchen I set up was: All core apps minus Maps (install it later from Market) + Swype + ASE . Everything else there (except maybe the modaco additions), you can install at any time from market.

5) If you mess up which flashing and get a phone -> computer exclamation mark and the battery charging symbol doesn't even show anymore, you have to disconnect from power, pull the battery, put it back in, and put it back into downloading mode before plugging it back in. This seems to be the closest to bricking the phone you can get, because the battery charging can seem to error out whilst showing battery state, but download mode always seems to work.

6) If you get acore errors and such, it happened here because I think I wiped /data after installing JG1 (and modaco), and certain intents went missing. So if you want a cleanish start, wipe /data BEFORE installing JG1/Modaco.

7) Remember to install MCR Lagfix, MarketJG1+MarketSpeedup (after running market once). Otherwise, as mentioned above, Market wont work properly.

All apps seem stable, wallpapers works, GPS works, FM radio works (I don't remember the Singtel rom having that but I may be wrong) and there are no probs. You also thankfully lose the annoying Singtel adverts on startup/shutdown.

Anyway, at the very least, it's well worth switching to JG1.. And from there to Modaco, its only a short jump anyway, so you might as well..

At least imho..

Guest DistortedLoop

Andrew- excellent post/advice. Especially the part about leaving out Market apps from the baked roms, and the warning on English and semi-bricked state. Thanks so much.

I can't even flash JG1 at this point. My VMware installation just won't see the phone for more than a few seconds. I get the Samsung Serial Device icon in the available peripherals tray, then when I click to mount it, it goes away. I've installed PC Suite 3 and Kies but still no luck.

Frustrating since I don't really have access to a Windows box that I would feel comfortable installing a bunch of drivers/apps on. :-(