I desire a Desire on contract

Guest Spook Tooth

Guest Spook Tooth

Is it true Vodafone have not had any HTC Desire's available for 2 months?

I just called them to buy a pay monthly contract and had previously been offered a discount for the HTC Desire but was told they don't actually have any phones.

They did have the Legend but that only comes with 512MB of mobile data a month. More than enough data the salesman says... Yeah, right? I haven't metered my usage but now I don't have access to broadband for the next few months I can see myself using a fair bit of data, if only for the odd video clip at the BBC website/gadget reviews places and the like.

They won't discount the Nexus One, just HTCs though I didn't ask about other Android phone suppliers.

I was initially going to get a SIM only Vodafone (UK) deal through Quidco.com. Was looking at 900 mins/1GB mobile data on the 12 month pack. Wanted to stay with Vodafone to add the family subscription. But now I'm wondering who exactly does have these available on contract?

Sorry about the cheesy title... Are there any good deals out there?

Edited by Spook Tooth

Guest EddyOS

I got my upgrade on Carphone Warehouse, unbranded and unlocked, on the 2nd day they were released end of March/beginning of April - they should have stock

Steer clear of phones from providers as they'll be locked with their own FW on it

Guest Spook Tooth

I never considered branding. Hmm. Would that be true of the Nexus One too? Guess so.

Presently I am just using my T-Mobile Pulse and have experimented a little with custom roms but didn't like the instability. As I really need some kind of contract phone I was hoping to maybe get a better phone as part of a deal. I could probably live with the branding for a while though understand I'd be at the mercy of the telco for fw upgrades.

Maybe I should put my hand in my pocket and see if I can rustle up enough shapnel to go for a sim-free phone? A Desire would be nice... Any good deals out there chaps?

Guest dreamdealer

I found my deal from here. http://www.omio.com/ the best deal was a 12 month contract on Vodafone with unlimited internet for £40 after i cancelled the optional insurance and extras they give you free for a set number of months. It took me to a site called mobiles.co.uk but that's the website part owned by the car phone warehouse, it had a 500 mb fair usage policy but I did my research on the Vodafone eForum and if you have the unlimited internet deal, they wont come knocking on your door if you go over the usage, just if you take the piss then they would call you and try to get you on another plan. I am a heavy user not with tethering but with everyday use and maximum data I ever transferred a month is 480 mb.

Always a good idea to go for an unbranded model in my personal opinion, then you can choose the sim deal offered from a site like mobiles.co.uk or the http://www.omio.com/ which would suit your needs.

Guest EddyOS

The Nexus One, apparently, is as it comes...only thing different is the UK product code as opposed to the US one (although might wanna confirm that on the N1 forum)

Guest Spook Tooth

Thanks fellas. I am looking into the links you've given me and taking onboard what you've told me. Very educating, cheers.

:)

Guest FatherD
Is it true Vodafone have not had any HTC Desire's available for 2 months?

I just called them to buy a pay monthly contract and had previously been offered a discount for the HTC Desire but was told they don't actually have any phones.

They did have the Legend but that only comes with 512MB of mobile data a month. More than enough data the salesman says... Yeah, right? I haven't metered my usage but now I don't have access to broadband for the next few months I can see myself using a fair bit of data, if only for the odd video clip at the BBC website/gadget reviews places and the like.

They won't discount the Nexus One, just HTCs though I didn't ask about other Android phone suppliers.

I was initially going to get a SIM only Vodafone (UK) deal through Quidco.com. Was looking at 900 mins/1GB mobile data on the 12 month pack. Wanted to stay with Vodafone to add the family subscription. But now I'm wondering who exactly does have these available on contract?

Sorry about the cheesy title... Are there any good deals out there?

I bagged my desire from eBay, then unlocked it from one of the recommendations here on Modaco (can't remember which) I would recommend this route as it lets you switch around the offers for sim-only. I started on Tesco (piggy-backing on o2) but the data cap was 500Mb and the data speed was awful, could not get above 40kbits!! anywhere. Now I am on the 3 network, gives me 1Gb data, 350 mins, 3500 texts. Monthly contract at £15.

What about upgrades!? I hear you cry .. well I buy/sell around every year or so, probably spending £100-150 in the process, and get the newest phones from people who don't want them before most providers even offer them! I think the economy works out pretty well for me and the choice is absolutely mine to make. 3 networks coverage is good, speed is excellent, often between 2-3Mbps. Hope this helps!

Guest Spook Tooth

Thanks FatherD. I've heard good things about 3.

Only problem for me is I'm using Vodafone UK's £5pcm family deal and to eliminate the need for carrying around more than one phone I was thinking Vodafone would be the best choice.

It looks like I've got more thinking to do. I've followed the above links to Omio and mobiles.co.uk and had a look at their - ahem - iPhone 4 deals. I know Vodafone say they are not able to discount them yet but if I was going to have to pay full price for something it might as well be something flash (no pun intended).

Then, on the other hand. If I could only source a decently priced (ie cheap) HTC Desire or other, then I could just get a SIM only deal as I originally intended. Or use carry on using my Pulse. It'd be nice if it was faster, had 2.1/2.2 and was stable.

Guest VeeDubZ

i got mine from mobilephonesdirect £3.99 delivery, free phone, 900mins 500texts 1gb data on Tmobile for £25 a month. unbranded and unlocked handset too

Guest Spook Tooth
i got mine from mobilephonesdirect £3.99 delivery, free phone, 900mins 500texts 1gb data on Tmobile for £25 a month. unbranded and unlocked handset too

That's an incredible deal VeeDubZ. I wish Vodafone could've matched it. I did actually call them back again today as I noticed they'd updated their stock notification to 'limited' and thought I might be in with a chance of bagging one.

I managed to resurrect the discounted offer I'd been given by a former sales guy for 900mins, 1GB data and what started off as unlimited texts (but now says 3000 pcm, which is way more than I need) on an 18 month contract for £30 for 15 months and £40 for the remainder (saving £150).

It's a pre-order and subject to a little bit of Vodafonery craziness since there's plenty of margin for error in getting my discounted deal applied when I receive the phone (in an undetermined couple of weeks). None of their sales staff seem to know what they're doing even when there's clearly a tonne of notes on their system.

Well, just wanted to say I should hopefully be joining you lucky Desire owners by the end of the month. I did check out mobilephonesdirect btw but couldn't find a better offer than I'd been given by the Voda-rep. Took ages to get them to acknowledge their previous offer but I got there in the end.

Cheers,

Guest Ricocchet
Well, just wanted to say I should hopefully be joining you lucky Desire owners by the end of the month. Cheers,

:D

It is an amazing phone it really is :)

Hope you enjoy it!

Guest Spook Tooth
It is an amazing phone it really is :D

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks. I will of course let you know when I get it and maybe be a little more active in this part of the forum.

My Pulse is nice but slow and I'm fed up waiting for an official 2.1 ROM but that's where I've been hanging out so far.

Android ftw!

And welcome to Modaco btw! :P

Guest Ricocchet
Thanks. I will of course let you know when I get it and maybe be a little more active in this part of the forum.

My Pulse is nice but slow and I'm fed up waiting for an official 2.1 ROM but that's where I've been hanging out so far.

Android ftw!

And welcome to Modaco btw! :D

Thanks very much for the warm welcome :P

Ive just rooted my Desire, I couldnt resist (couldnt wait for official 2.2 release) followed the tutorial here and it worked flawlessly :P

Just need to see how i flash custom roms now

Whoop! Whoop!! B)

Edited by Ricocchet

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Spook Tooth
Thanks very much for the warm welcome :D

Ive just rooted my Desire, I couldnt resist (couldnt wait for official 2.2 release) followed the tutorial here and it worked flawlessly :D

Just need to see how i flash custom roms now

Whoop! Whoop!! :P

You're welcome. Keep those posts coming!

Just to update, I still don't have my hands on a Desire despite having pre-ordered one with Vodafone (contract) a month ago. What stock they had didn't go my way so I reckon I'm gonna cancel and maybe either look at the new Galaxy S or just leave it and go SIM only (and keep using my Pulse).

Cheers :)

Guest Spook Tooth

Well, to update, after calling Vodafone UK I was offered another deal so went for a HTC Legend instead. Not a bad phone at all, though maybe a little small.

Got 900 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB mobile data for £25 pcm (1st 15 months) and £35 pcm for the remaining 3 months (18 month contract). Hoping this works out okay.

Cheers to all those who helped me out.