returned my streak

Guest mobiholic

Guest mobiholic

Today I returned my second streak to o2. I don't think this is goodbye, instead I expect it is simply see you later!

I've really enjoyed my time using the device but even though I really wanted to like it and I mean really really, its just been lacking. I can't put my finger on any one thing that had made me take it back, instead it is a number of smaller imperfections that make me feel as though I am beta testing something for Dell that made me decide to return it.

I expect I'll get another streak from Dell direct once they come with 2.2 or later. On the plus side though I've just realised that I left the charger at home when I returned the box. The o2 salesperson even checked the box in front of me so it's not just me that thought it was in there!

I look forward to coming back here to ask for and provide help with froyo and beyond! in the meantime I'll be lurking while I search for that 'perfect device' ;-)

Guest mobiholic
Today I returned my second streak to o2. I don't think this is goodbye, instead I expect it is simply see you later!

I've really enjoyed my time using the device but even though I really wanted to like it and I mean really really, its just been lacking. I can't put my finger on any one thing that had made me take it back, instead it is a number of smaller imperfections that make me feel as though I am beta testing something for Dell that made me decide to return it.

I expect I'll get another streak from Dell direct once they come with 2.2 or later. On the plus side though I've just realised that I left the charger at home when I returned the box. The o2 salesperson even checked the box in front of me so it's not just me that thought it was in there!

I look forward to coming back here to ask for and provide help with froyo and beyond! in the meantime I'll be lurking while I search for that 'perfect device' ;-)

I thought it might be helpful to list the main problems which prompted me to return my Streaks so that we can identify problems as recurring issues or one-offs. There are other issues which are device specific that resulted in the return of the Streak but they are not what I would call problems with the device, just niggles which I didn't get on with :D

Knowledge is power and all that!

I classify these issues as problem issues only when 1) they interfere with the normal operating of the device, 2) someone else confirmed the issue while using my device (software) and 3) when I can be sure that it is Streak specific (Hero and Galaxy S also tested)

Unit 1 and Unit 2

Screen - Touchscreen would often not register taps. Tested by myself and my wife, unable to pinpoint what it was that was causing the problem but we saw it most often when selecting text boxes.

Unit 1 and Unit 2

Build - Plastic bezel area over earpiece came unstuck from the glue / tape that was holding it down. This started as a small raised corner which wasn't a concern but became less flush with the screen over the course of a few days as more of the bezel became unstuck. Applying pressure to the area would result in it sticking down again but often when the pressure was removed there would be a pop as the bezel came unstuck and lifted immediately. Sometimes the bezel would stay stuck for a short while and then lift.

Unit 1

Screen - Scratch on the Glass. The glass seemed to be more scratch prone than non toughed glass flying in the face of all the claims about Gorilla glass. This was not seen on Unit 2 since I didn't keep it that long, I like to think that Unit 2 would not have had this issue however.

Unit 1 and Unit 2

Software - Slowdowns within Android, seen on Galaxy S but not as obvious and not seen on the Hero (go figure).

Hopefully these are one offs but unless we record them we wont know - I am not bashing the Streak :) it's a fantastic device and one that I really want to make my only handset, but not right now.

Edited by mobiholic