Unlock for free with O2

Guest ajw107

Guest ajw107

If you are a pay monthly customer, you can just go to the O2 website and in the support centre, search of 'unlock' fill in the form, and sometime within the next 28 days your phone will be unlocked for free. Simples...

Guest the_didge

Have you actually tried this? Have they sent you the unlock code?

O2 have said they wont be unlocking the streak as its exclusive to them...

Guest Magxs

Ok, I have tried it. Filled out the form and got the message they will get back to me within 28 days. But I doubt it'll work. Too good to be true.

Guest Loconinja

I think it is worth posting my correspondence with O2 after filling in the Handset Unlocking form on their website:

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your email.

We're sorry to inform you this. The Dell Streak can?t be unlocked, it?s an O2 exclusive handset and we want Dell Streak customers to have the best customer experience.

Kind Regards

Hitendra

I bought my Dell Streak on PAYG specifically because I do not want to be tied to a contract. There is no O2 reception in my area; how is that "the best customer experience"?. I own my handset, I demand to be able to use it on any network.

Please send me an unlock code, otherwise I will have to return my handset as it is useless without a reliable data connection.

Regards,

Alex Roebuck.

Good afternoon Alex

Thanks for emailing us about unlocking your Dell Streak.

We'll be unable to unlock your Dell Streak as all the phones sold on our network are locked to our network for 12 months. This is because we sell phones on subsidised rates.

If you want to return your Dell Streak phone, I'd request you to return it to the place from where you had purchased it.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience with this matter.

For further details about O2, please visit our online Help Centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Kind regards

Ahmed

O2 Customer Service

Telefónica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered

Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

I bought my Dell Streak on PAYG. By how much is it subsidised? As far as I am aware it will soon be available from Dell direct and unlocked for a similar price. Please unlock my handset and I will happily pay the "subsidy".

If not, what are my options for returning the phone? I bought it on 10th June from the O2 shop Crawley. I would happily stay with o2, but everywhere I have been so far, the reception has been appalling, whereas I get full HSDPA on T-Mobile.

Alex Roebuck.

Good morning Alex

Thanks for emailing us about unlocking your Dell Streak mobile phone.

Alex, as already informed you in previous email that the Dell Streak is an exclusive O2 offer and we are unable to unlock the Dell Streak at this time. I know this isn't the answer you're looking for and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

If you wish to return this mobile phone you can visit the point of purchase (O2 Store Crawley) and return the mobile phone.

I hope I've explained it clearly to you. If you have any further queries, please contact us or visit our excellent online help centre at:

Kind regards

Jyoti

O2 Customer Service

Thanks for your reply.

You write that the Dell Streak is exclusive to O2, but this is not the case. Dell have started selling the Streak unlocked:

http://www.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Periph...&redirect=1

The price is £449, which implies that O2 are subsidising the PAYG handset by £49. I will gladly pay £49 for an unlocking code for my O2 Dell Streak.

If you are still unwilling to satisfy my reasonable request, please provide me with confirmation that I will be able to return my Dell Streak to the O2 Store in Crawley, even though it is just over 14 days since I bought it. Perhaps you could contact them on my behalf.

Regards,

Alex Roebuck.

Good evening Alex

Thanks for replying to Jyoti's email about unlocking your Dell Streak phone.

Alex, I understand that you're willing to pay to get your Dell Streak phone unlocked.

However, I'm sorry to inform you that we'll not be able to unlock it until further notice, as it is available exclusively for O2 customers.

I hope I've explained to you clearly.

Thanks once again for taking the time to email us.

For lots more help and how to get the best from your O2 service, please visit our online Help Centre at:

Kind regards

Roshan

O2 Customer Service

Hi Roshan,

You are incorrect. As stated in my previous e-mail, the Dell Streak is not exclusive to O2. It is available SIM-free and unlocked direct from Dell:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Perip...pd.aspx?refid=d

ell-streak&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&redirect=1

Please try to explain to me why you have stated on several occasions that the Dell Streak is "available exclusively to O2 customers" when this is clearly not the case.

Regards,

Alex Roebuck.

There has been no response to my final e-mail. I have since cancelled my O2 SIM and returned my Streak to the O2 Store.

Guest Metoo
I think it is worth posting my correspondence with O2 after filling in the Handset Unlocking form on their website:

Hi Roshan,

You are incorrect. As stated in my previous e-mail, the Dell Streak is not exclusive to O2. It is available SIM-free and unlocked direct from Dell:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Perip...pd.aspx?refid=d

ell-streak&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&redirect=1

Please try to explain to me why you have stated on several occasions that the Dell Streak is "available exclusively to O2 customers" when this is clearly not the case.

Regards,

Alex Roebuck.

There has been no response to my final e-mail. I have since cancelled my O2 SIM and returned my Streak to the O2 Store.

What they're probably trying to say is that the Streak isn't carried by any other network, so is only available on the High Street, or included as part of a subsidised contract, via O2. That's no different to the iPhone, Palm Pre, etc. which have all had network exclusivity deals and thus have been locked to a provider, despite being available SIM free elsewhere. Otherwise there would be point them paying a hefty premium for the 'exclusivity' deal in the first place.

Edited by Metoo

Guest shEEEsh
If you are a pay monthly customer, you can just go to the O2 website and in the support centre, search of 'unlock' fill in the form, and sometime within the next 28 days your phone will be unlocked for free. Simples...

I am in the USA with an unlocked Streak on T-Mobile but 28 days?? Wow .. that is a long time isn't it ?? On the other hand, T-Mobile probably NEVER would have given an unlock code. They would tell you to just buy another. I understand that in the UK you have much better laws protecting the consumer than we have here.

Guest nobnut

Just to clarify this position, o2 will not provide an unlock code for the Streak... ever.

The Streaks you can buy from Dell's website are locked to o2, they are just SIM free i.e. no SIM!

Don't get excited, Streak = o2 / Rebel SIM.

The end.

Guest nobnut

Am I?

Read this

Some folk clearly don't understand the meaning of the word 'exclusive'. As in exclusive to o2.

Right.

PS My trouble and strife works for Dell.

Edited by nobnut

Guest Metoo
Just to clarify this position, o2 will not provide an unlock code for the Streak... ever.

The Streaks you can buy from Dell's website are locked to o2, they are just SIM free i.e. no SIM!

The end.

Ignores quoted email from O2 in this thread saying that the Streak is locked to O2 for 12 months - not "ever".

Ignores links and screenshots posted by Loconinja proving Streak from Dell direct is sold as SIM free and unlocked.

Am I?

Read this

Some folk clearly don't understand the meaning of the word 'exclusive'. As in exclusive to o2.

Right.

PS My trouble and strife works for Dell.

Ignores posts in his "Read this" link stating Streak was bought on eBay not from Dell.

Clearly some 'nobnuts' can't understand what they read, irrespective of who their wife makes tea for!

/plonk.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Dunhamzzz

Oh wow, loconinja really couldn't let it go!

The Streak is exclusive to O2 in that you cannot buy it from any other carrier ie Vodafone, Three etc. Their argument is that you could buy a phone from them and stick a vodafone sim in whereas they have a deal to be the only carrier who distributes the Streak - and they got it early.

Guest Loconinja

The Streak is exclusive to O2 in that you cannot buy it from any other carrier ie Vodafone, Three etc. Their argument is that you could buy a phone from them and stick a vodafone sim in whereas they have a deal to be the only carrier who distributes the Streak - and they got it early.

I don't dispute it. That's not what nobnut said in his post though:

The end.

Guest Metoo

We know all that, indeed I said so in an earlier post. The reason we're still wasting our breathe over it is that every point that nobnut stated "to clarify" was incorrect, so was not "the end". What's more he didn't accept the corrections from loconinja or read the contents of his own links, but instead tried to insult everyone else by implying they could not read, then throwing in some tenuous stuff about his wife and Dell to try and give credence to his incorrect statements.

Obviously, the username is apt :)

Edited by Metoo

• 1 year later...
Guest aweAMsome

Forget O2, all network providers are out to make as much money from consumer as possible and screw us all over again and again ... to eternity, just remember nothing is for free in the commercial world. Into 6 months of my monthly contract with o2 when I hear that o2 are offering to unlock the Dell streak for free (I often traveled oversea and wanted to use other country Sim card). So I phoned them up and guess what ... I was told 'yes but and it's a big BUT and a catch (well, I wasn't surprise), we can but not until you are with us at least 12 months and only then we can unlock your device for a fee of £20'. WTF, I know I can unlock my dell streak at the local mobile shop for £20. So let me ask you a question, in what way are o2 providing us a good service .. NO WAY come to mind. F**k O2, pay your local mobile shop the money to unlock your Dell streak and free yourself from o2 (wait until your contract end 1st should you already got one, lol). Remember, only buy what you needs and not more because any more than, then it only benefit the seller.