/sdcard/sd & update.zip & general use of external card

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

Some questions about the external SDCard:

Most important, when you're told to put a file in the root of your SDCard - like an update.zip file, or an unlock key, is it the root of the internal or external?

What's the overall intended purpose of the external? Obviously it adds more storage for media (pics/music/videos), but since the OS sees it as folder only on the internal "/sdcard" programs aren't going to use it for anything unless you can force the particular program to store its data someplace other than the folder on /sdcard they default to.

How is anyone else with an external SDCard using it?

It mounts it as the /sd folder under the /sdcard (/sdcard/sd), but what's the int

The back story on why I'm asking this:

I pulled the 16gb external SIM out of my EVO and stuck it into my Galaxy S. I was hoping my applications from the Market would just recognize the SDCard was there with all their data but the few I tried didn't. They all just create their own folders on the internal drive and ignore the external and ignore the stuff on the external. Not surprising, I guess.

Would be nice if there were a setting that allowed you to specify where apps put their data - sort of like apps2sd in the latest Cyanogen mods on my Nexus One.

Guest Darkstriker
Some questions about the external SDCard:

Most important, when you're told to put a file in the root of your SDCard - like an update.zip file, or an unlock key, is it the root of the internal or external?

Always on the internal SD-card.

How is anyone else with an external SDCard using it?

I pumped it full of HQ music (16GB is awesome but microSDs of that size are slow and so anything that requires performance is better lodged internally). I use my phone as MP3 player replacement.

Guest Birba

I had extactly the same problem. Titanium Backup didn't find my backups until i noticed that i looks for the internal sdcard.

Isn't that possible with symlinks?

@paul: can you make a script to do that?

external storage: /sdcard/sd/ shoud be /sdcard/

internal storage: /sdcard/ should be /sdcard-internal/ (something like that)

Is this possible?

Guest DistortedLoop
Always on the internal SD-card.

I pumped it full of HQ music (16GB is awesome but microSDs of that size are slow and so anything that requires performance is better lodged internally). I use my phone as MP3 player replacement.

Yeah, I figured out the internal for all the certificates and stuff.

Is Class 6 sdcard too slow? I never notice slowdowns with apps2sd on Nexus One keeping them on the Class 6 sdcard ext4 partition.

I'd gotten in the habit of just moving the sdcard from phone to phone to bring apps data along effortlessly. Guess those days are numbered with this new setup.

Interesting issue with BeyondPod and this...even copying the contents of its data folder from external to internal it wouldn't recognize the data. In the past I had just cloned the folder to other sdcards to avoid having to set things up and download again. Hmmm.