Navigation (Motonav) on Samsung Galaxy S

Guest oachim

Guest oachim

Hi,

I have successfully installed Motonav of my Galaxy S but I have 2 issues:

- Motonav is running very slow (animations, scrolling);

- GPS position is wrong by 20-50 m and triggers route recalculation at every crossroads. This seems to not be device problem since iGO myway is not having the same issue.

Please share your experience using Motonav or any other navigation software.

Regards,

Ovidiu

Guest Rithina
Hi,

- GPS position is wrong by 20-50 m and triggers route recalculation at every crossroads. This seems to not be device problem since iGO myway is not having the same issue.

Regards,

Ovidiu

Aren't motonav supprot 854 resolution? I got the software on my milestone but I can't install it over in my SGS to test

Guest FerdiBorbon

use copilot live 8 much better faster and supports device native res.. i love IGO8 aswell but not working properly... so Copilot is the best alternative..

Guest Werner99

agree about Copilot, also maybe take a look at Navigon this app works also perfect.

The only issue i have with Copilot is that it has very old maps :), if it would have newer maps then i could use it without a issue in my Region but the map data is so old that many streets are missing :D.

The Advantage is that it is very cheap.

Navigon has very good map data but on the other hand it is very expensive compared to copilot.

About Motonav, beside the reason that there is no official version avaible for our devices, i find that motonav runs very slow compared to Copilot and Navigon.

I am also very disapointed about that because before that on WM6.5 i used iGo and i loved it, and now there is not a working version for android at all :P

Regards,

Werner

Guest oachim

Hi,

would your share with us your experience with Navigon? which version are you using? how are Navigon's map comparing with the Igo's ones?

Regards,

Ovidiu

agree about Copilot, also maybe take a look at Navigon this app works also perfect.

The only issue i have with Copilot is that it has very old maps :), if it would have newer maps then i could use it without a issue in my Region but the map data is so old that many streets are missing :D.

The Advantage is that it is very cheap.

Navigon has very good map data but on the other hand it is very expensive compared to copilot.

About Motonav, beside the reason that there is no official version avaible for our devices, i find that motonav runs very slow compared to Copilot and Navigon.

I am also very disapointed about that because before that on WM6.5 i used iGo and i loved it, and now there is not a working version for android at all :P

Regards,

Werner

Guest fuzzyorange

Using Copilot 8 in South Africa

Regarding map accuracy - we've been having major highway redevelopment for the past months

and I was very surprised to find that their data is already updated with new flyovers and on/off ramps that only opened

very recently.

Navigation instructions take getting use to since they are not as frequent as some GPS devices.

So if driving along a long stretch of road often will double check to make sure I'm on course because Copilot keeps quite until about 2km before a turn.

Overall: I find it works very well, does what it's supposed to and has an attractive price point

Guest oachim

Hi,

I have just installed Navigon from Android Market. Download and installation worked well.

Navigon is running smooth on my SGS with no crash or delay when pressing buttons. Also, GPS position is correctly shown on the map.

For Romania, Igo is providing a better map. Navigon has some problem with street numbers.

Concering Copilot and Sygic, I have checked map coverage and unfortunately for Romania they have only main roads + major cities.

Regards,

Ovidiu

Hi,

would your share with us your experience with Navigon? which version are you using? how are Navigon's map comparing with the Igo's ones?

Regards,

Ovidiu

• 4 weeks later...
Guest esp_leo
Hi,

I have just installed Navigon from Android Market. Download and installation worked well.

Navigon is running smooth on my SGS with no crash or delay when pressing buttons. Also, GPS position is correctly shown on the map.

For Romania, Igo is providing a better map. Navigon has some problem with street numbers.

Concering Copilot and Sygic, I have checked map coverage and unfortunately for Romania they have only main roads + major cities.

Regards,

Ovidiu

navigon says i have no sd card inserted. i have already installed navigon fresh and i have 32 Gb external card while the phone has 1.9 Gb free on the internal. any help or advise?

thanks

Guest amacrobie

I've had so little success using the SGS as a navigation system both in the car and when walking I've abandoned the handset for that purpose. In all other respects it fulfils my needs, the GPS is the one area it fails and am now using my g/f's streak for satnav duties. Shame on you Samsung...

Regards to software, I like both copilot and sygic - sygic has a generally better interface but I find copilot easier to use since it uses the android keyboard. Support at both companies is very hit and miss unless you get the right person. It took in excess of a month to get a new activation code from Sygic because a) SGS storage won't generate a device code, you HAVE to have an SD card installed and :) apparently the device code from the brand new class 10 MicroSDHC card I fitted didn't look right....

I've reactivated my Sygic MM10 (Thanks Matus !! - this guy is a total legend) on the SGS "in case" and moved my copilot licence to my g/f's streak for cross-europe navigation.

Edited by amacrobie

Guest DistortedLoop

Is Navigon not available in the US on Android? I can never find it in the market.

I have Navigon on my iPhone and it friggin' rocks. Fantastic navigation app, albeit a bit expensive (on the iPhone) when you consider Google Navigation does a pretty good job here for free...

Guest SpruceyB
Hi,

Regards,

Ovidiu

I didn't know that iGo MyWay worked on the SGS. I've got CoPilot installed on mine, used it on a trip Birmingham - Bournemouth and I had frequent GPS Position problems where it would place me on a nearby road and recalculate route (or when driving down Motorway or A roads say I was 'NEAR A31' instead of actually being on it), luckily I wasnt driving so I could concentrate on Navigation.

I'm going to try a couple of the 'fixes' listed over here when I get a chance. Also gonna install MotoNav and see how it performs

On the drive I also had it connected to a Charger and the battery still managed to drain quite a bit with the screen & GPS being constantly on.

Edited by SpruceyB

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mkrogh

I use Sygic - aka mobile maps 10.

Really nice, and with a lot of info and features.

A lot more than Navigon which I tried for 2 days.

Have a good one :huh:

BR

Mkrogh

Guest Dan Mullen
I use Sygic - aka mobile maps 10.

Really nice, and with a lot of info and features.

A lot more than Navigon which I tried for 2 days.

Have a good one :huh:

BR

Mkrogh

I'm a paid up user of CoPilot 8, but since Google Navigation was released I've found I don't use it anymore!

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm a paid up user of CoPilot 8, but since Google Navigation was released I've found I don't use it anymore!

Agreed...

Until you get out in the middle of the California/Nevada/Arizona desert where even on highways you might not get a cell signal, and probably only EDGE at best if you do. I speak from recent experience there taht Google maps not a reliable navigator in that situation unless you have a way to cache maps locally before heading out. Luckily I had Navigon on my iPhone - actually, my car has a decent GPS, but I like the 3D graphics of Navigon, really cool looking.

Guest sungshing

motonav works fine on my I9000. better turn by turn navigation experience and route recalculation is quick. tried copilot live before...response are slow and the don't like the overall experience maybe i have get used to igo on my previous WM phone. the interface is tailored to fit on i9000 by the guy that published the apk. program response is quite reasonable (to me), if you think you i9000 is getting slow try take a look at those widget/launcher/screen locker app..to my experience quite a number of them slowly causing my phone to heat up and slow to response and eventually hung..

Guest Andrew Luecke

Copilot screwed me around BADLY for their PC version, and I would NEVER use them again. Anticipate long term problems with them (such as having to buy new versions for new versions of Android).

On PC, Windows 7 was out, and their latest version available barely ran in Vista still, was buggy, and even after a new version was released, it was expensive.

Guest Compuse

Motonav looks pretty good, no shame there,.. for the stuttering i guess, .. just a bad port! :huh:

I use Sygic maps 10 and it's working fine, keypad could have been bigger thus easier to use .. so when driving, i usually use google maps navigation ;)

Guest skritikos

Anyone that tested the Copilot in Scotland? I will be in Edinburgh and then around Scotland in a few days on a car. Will be in Isle of Skye for 5-6 days. Is Copilot OK on those places?

Thanks!