Motorola Milestone XT720

Guest Nereus

Guest Nereus

Hi all,

I'm Milestone XT720 user from Singapore. It' been nearly a month since it's released in SG. I heard that it's coming to T-Mo in US also. Please post any XT720 related Q&As here. I hope we'll get a Forum in time.

The main question right now is how to root this phone. I've had no past experience with Android OS. Is there anyone who's already rooted the XT720?

Been searching for ages but still can't find anything about rooting the XT720. Most discussions end up talking about the Korean MOTOROI, which I believe is actually a different model (XT701). Is this phone even available anywhere else other than Singapore? Both the Motorola and Starhub websites have NOTHING about this phone, they can't even agree on the spec sheet. I'm holding the phone here in my hand, but I can't find any info on it :(

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, the XT720 has been rooted! However, this doesn't deal with the signed bootloader, ie. you still can't flash a custom ROM. But you can run apps that require root, letting you do things like overclocking and WiFi tethering. Also, note that the current method as shown on XDA-Dev is not for the faint of heart. Some Linux command line experience is recommended.

Guest Quist09

Nice to hear that progress is being made. Sounds like OC is working and they've managed to get 720p video recording to work better.

At the same time, I'm really hoping to hear somebody figure out how to get A2SD+ to work on it. Within the first 2 weeks of having my Desire, the constant out of memory warning is what pushed me to root and have never looked back since.

Also, folks are asking for a way to unroot the phone to prep for a froyo upgrade down the line, but there again, I'd bet rerooting after said upgrade will be harder or impossible (similar to what we've seen with the Desire OTA upgrade). That said, getting cooked roms to install and having some sort of nandroid backup would definitely make this THE phone to have, at least until the Beam works its problems out and begins shipping outside Singapore.