Broken screen... after 4 days

Guest timlardner

Guest timlardner

My Dell Streak lies beaten by the three foot drop onto my carpeted floor. The fancy gorilla glass did nothing to protect the LCD. Thankfully I have insurance, but according to o2 insure, it's out of stock and they don't know when it'll be back in...

photo.jpg

Edited by timlardner

Guest timlardner
this is 2 in a very short period of time

I'm surprised about how easily it broke. I'm back to my old iPhone which has been through much worse and although it looks pretty scuffed, it still works perfectly. This doesn't bode well for times to come.

Guest yosemite-sam
I'm surprised about how easily it broke. I'm back to my old iPhone which has been through much worse and although it looks pretty scuffed, it still works perfectly. This doesn't bode well for times to come.

I bet it screamed as it fell! I emailed those otterbox folk as they don't list anything on their site.

we need shockproof bouncability!

My Dell Streak lies beaten by the three foot drop onto my carpeted floor. The fancy gorilla glass did nothing to protect the LCD. Thankfully I have insurance, but according to o2 insure, it's out of stock and they don't know when it'll be back in...

photo.jpg

It looks like your phone got hit with something in the lower part of your screen about the size of a 1/4" in diameter. Those cracks are not conducive to the phone dropping at any height... sorry i don't mean to be a dick but you can't cheat physics. so unless you dropped it on something that was 1/4" in diameter that was laying on your carpet the glass broke some other way :)

Guest slymi

Also, is that an apple keyboard in the background? Apple buying adwords on google for Dell Streak search results, Apple buying Dell Streaks and breaking them to make customers not want to buy them? Conspiracy! JK!

Wow that sucks I'm definitely going to have to find a nice case before buying the phone.

Edited by slymi

Guest timlardner
It looks like your phone got hit with something in the lower part of your screen about the size of a 1/4" in diameter. Those cracks are not conducive to the phone dropping at any height... sorry i don't mean to be a dick but you can't cheat physics. so unless you dropped it on something that was 1/4" in diameter that was laying on your carpet the glass broke some other way :)

That would be my thumb... I found that after the screen cracked, applying pressure to it seemed to make the display work for a short while. Until it cracked under there too :D

Guest Wonford

hmm. really bad luck, I'm a clumsy git and have already dropped mine about 5 times and onto a hard wooden floor at that.. and aside from giving myself a near heart attack each time no harm was done whatsoever...

Earlier today i even tossed it onto my bed which it then bounced off, hit the sofa and landed with a wallop on the floor - in one piece! UPSY! >.<

Guest yosemite-sam
hmm. really bad luck, I'm a clumsy git and have already dropped mine about 5 times and onto a hard wooden floor at that.. and aside from giving myself a near heart attack each time no harm was done whatsoever...

Earlier today i even tossed it onto my bed which it then bounced off, hit the sofa and landed with a wallop on the floor - in one piece! UPSY! >.<

am i one of the only buggers who took out insurance too? i know it seems a rip off but even if some crazed loon tries to eat it, i should be covered. I do look after mine but do think i'll have some s*** luck some time and need to call on it!

my question really is if we didnt have insurance, what cover would we have for a cracked screen like that?

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest WilhelmsBrick
am i one of the only buggers who took out insurance too? i know it seems a rip off but even if some crazed loon tries to eat it, i should be covered. I do look after mine but do think i'll have some s*** luck some time and need to call on it!

my question really is if we didnt have insurance, what cover would we have for a cracked screen like that?

If we didnt take out insurance, something like dropping is classed as a users fault and theres nothing you can do. It has to be the fault of dell to pretty much warrent a return - like the random crashes and vibrate fits people have, smashed screen would be refused a refund.

Guest yosemite-sam
If we didnt take out insurance, something like dropping is classed as a users fault and theres nothing you can do. It has to be the fault of dell to pretty much warrent a return - like the random crashes and vibrate fits people have, smashed screen would be refused a refund.

phew! glad i got it then, im as clumsy as the next mr clumsy so need peace of mind. and if some bugger tries to nick it, i'll gorilla glass their ass then claim for a replacement lol

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest timlardner
Is it just the LCD that is cracked or the corning glass on top as well?

It's just the LCD that's gone. The glass looks perfect :)

Guest prawnballs
It's just the LCD that's gone. The glass looks perfect :angry:

Mine did the same, although mine clipped the handle of a mug just before it hit the carpet. Glass was fine, but the LCD screen looked exactly like yours. I took it back to o2 shop and argued it must have had some kind of inherent fault. They agreed to send it off for repair and the engineer would decide who's fault it was. If mine then I'd pay for repair, if there's they'd pay. The repair centre then lost my phone so had to replace it with a brand new version in a sealed box. The best bit is that I sent off just the phone (minus the battery, memory card, sim card & back plate) so I now have about £100 (at Dell's ridiculous prices) worth of spares for my new phone! Oh and I didn't have insurance then.. but I do now. I just dont think I can trust the LCD screen to hold out for the duration of my contract!

Guest mobiholic

Paul had his LCD break beneath the Corning glass too, he didn't drop his though, it simply broke :angry:

A few other people have reported that the LCD has broken despite the Corning glass above it being undamaged in whatever accident caused the LCD smash. Lets hope this isn't a trend, otherwise what the hell is the extra layer of glass there for!? :D