UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest psmitty7373

The key sequence of Down + Home + Power does not seem to work on T-mobile Vibrant. Anyone have any luck with this?

-Smitty

Guest jdomnia

hello guys,

have quick question, i am using Kingston MicroSD 16GB class 2 card. have successfully done the fix with JG5 and ext4 (1gb) on second partition.

my problem is i don't see any improvement from stock JG5 f/w, in-fact it become less speed i think, i still can see black screen such as opening the dialer app, but only at initial launch.

can some one post video how fast the phone is as reference? mine cannot complete the Quadrant test, stuck at I/O test 3/4.

now i have reflash to JG5 and can feel that JG5 is faster than with the fix.

could it because i am using Kingston class 2 card? do i need to buy much higher class card i.e. sandisk class 4 or 6 to see the improvement?

please help.

TYA.

jd

Guest myslee_ovi

That's so crazy *g*

i think i've made a new highscore:

post-336755-1279245286_thumb.jpg

The system isn't a clean installation and could be much higher...

It's a very cheap SanDisk 8GB Class2 SDHC with a 1,5GB EXT4 partition.

This device is the best and fastest one, that i have ever seen before.

Thank you Samsung for this great device!

Thank you mimocan, for this great kernel-patch

I think that we can break the 2000 points with Froyo (Android 2.2)

Edited by myslee_ovi

Guest Kilack
hello guys,

have quick question, i am using Kingston MicroSD 16GB class 2 card. have successfully done the fix with JG5 and ext4 (1gb) on second partition.

my problem is i don't see any improvement from stock JG5 f/w, in-fact it become less speed i think, i still can see black screen such as opening the dialer app, but only at initial launch.

can some one post video how fast the phone is as reference? mine cannot complete the Quadrant test, stuck at I/O test 3/4.

now i have reflash to JG5 and can feel that JG5 is faster than with the fix.

could it because i am using Kingston class 2 card? do i need to buy much higher class card i.e. sandisk class 4 or 6 to see the improvement?

please help.

TYA.

jd

Another person with this issue... I am wondering if there are certain cards that just don't play nicely...

I had the same issue with my wife's phone using a kingston 8 gig card, class 4...

everything was fine, checked the symlinks etc data was definitely on the ext4 partition etc but was _slow_ and quadrant couldnt get past the i/o test 3/4..

Quite a few people are getting this.. I think it has to be down to the card, some are just causing issues....

Guest acjames

I cant find any partitioning SW that I understand. That Gpart stuff makes no sense and the free version of Paragon doesnt let you apply the changes. I guess will wait till there is a more simple way to do it.

Guest Sincci

I just found out that after flashing this kernel, I'm now unable to charge my battery properly. For example; when my phone is turned off it doesn't show that charging bar anymore like it used to and when it's on it doesn't charge past 80%. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Guest DistortedLoop
I just found out that after flashing this kernel, I'm now unable to charge my battery properly. For example; when my phone is turned off it doesn't show that charging bar anymore like it used to and when it's on it doesn't charge past 80%. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Is your phone actually not charging the battery, or is it just the fancy display isn't updating? Mine is charging just fine with this kernel...

Guest Sincci
Is your phone actually not charging the battery, or is it just the fancy display isn't updating? Mine is charging just fine with this kernel...

It was charging, but the battery display just didn't work because the data was on the sd card instead of phone's own memory. After re-flashing JG5 back it was working again like it used to be.

Has still anyone no idea, why Quadrant gets stuck at "Database writes" on some devices with the ext4 fix, while some others don't?

I'm just curious as there don't seem to be any other problems with it so far.

Anyone have try enter the commands like it say:

adb shell

su -

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox mv /data/data /data/data.bak

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

to fix market issues:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

busybox ln -s /disk/media /system/media

reboot

And done it in Phone terminal insted off in ADB?

As i did and got a very slow phone after a heavy day off use with it, but seems no other got that so maybe it need adb to get it right or shall normal terminal in phone itself work as good?

Guest Fredrich
I don't have the advanced version of quadrant to test your specific issue. Other apps seem to be holding their settings though. Do you have any other examples?

Hi, sorry to confuse you but I am not talking about the advanced version of Quadrant. The "GPS Test" was just one of the other programs that started to act funny after the fix. eBuddy is behaving the exact same way. I save my credentials and settings and all seems fine, but after a reboot its all wiped clean and I have to do it again. My guess is that if you are having the Quadrant problem with he test getting stuck at 3/4 of the I/O tests, then you might have the same problems with saving settings.

Could anyone verify this correlation?

Best Regards,

Fredrich

Guest mt0004

mimocan,

Would you make the zimage for M110S or let me know how to make the change.

I tried your file on M110S.

After successfully flashing by ODIN, I lost the radio and some odd actions occured on my phone.

Maybe there is some difference between EU and KOR version.

Edited by mt0004

Guest kanzlr
Hi, sorry to confuse you but I am not talking about the advanced version of Quadrant. The "GPS Test" was just one of the other programs that started to act funny after the fix. eBuddy is behaving the exact same way. I save my credentials and settings and all seems fine, but after a reboot its all wiped clean and I have to do it again. My guess is that if you are having the Quadrant problem with he test getting stuck at 3/4 of the I/O tests, then you might have the same problems with saving settings.

Could anyone verify this correlation?

Best Regards,

Fredrich

no. I have the quadrant issue, but the apps save their settings just fine (tested with eBuddy and built in apps)

Guest kanzlr
Has still anyone no idea, why Quadrant gets stuck at "Database writes" on some devices with the ext4 fix, while some others don't?

I'm just curious as there don't seem to be any other problems with it so far.

it gets stuck on mine too, but I have the ext3 v3 version and a Kingston class 2 card (2GB)

Guest KLoNe Technologies

After the fix; my phone's speed is not affected at all. How is everyone doubling their speed and others aren't changing? :angry:

on Paul's R2 atm with a Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 2

Edited by KLoNe Technologies

Guest tanzhjoash
tanhz, just in case you haven't solve your problem, i have the same problem before.

what i did is install the root explorer advance (google it) and push the mount r/w button on the top right (default is mount as r/o (read only)).

that will solve your problem.

i have done mine but still have lag, and cannot complete the quadrant test. will redone the process again.

tq.

update: thx for your help! but i don't have root explorer since its a paid app.

instead, i typed in adb

mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

and then everything worked out after that.

Guest Daniel.z
Same problem here (quadrant freezed at database writeI) with kingston 16GB class 2

I think is not a problem.. only waited 10 minutes and then is gone.. 1596 points with 8Gb Kingston Class4 and 1.3GB Ext4

Guest NeidRider

JFB, with 16GB SanDisk Class 2, Ext4 of 2GB:

And with loads of widgets and apps active in background...

Any word on sideeffects with the increased read/write access to the microSD? There have been reports of failing cards with Apps2SD, and we're doing something similar here, aren't we?

Edited by NeidRider

Guest Kilack
I think is not a problem.. only waited 10 minutes and then is gone.. 1596 points with 8Gb Kingston Class4 and 1.3GB Ext4

waiting 10 minutes is not a problem?, it normally takes a few seconds.. interesting to know it finally finishes though and still gives a big score...

i would have thought that after having to wait 10 minutes it would have had a negative score... shows how reliable these benchmarks are hehe

Guest AndyCr15
(problem with edits is people might miss your question, I almost did.)

I know, but then I hate to double (triple) post :angry:

Anyways, even with JG5, just run the update.zip file that mimocan posted a few pages back. It's probably the same way you rooted the phone in the first place, but I'm not sure it's the same file. Download it, put it in root of the internal sdcard, reboot to recovery, select flash updates, voila you're rooted. I think that installs busybox as well. If not there are apps that do it for you on the Market...Titanium backup is one, and I think someone mentioned an app for busybox specifically earlier.

Awesome! Thanks, it's all working :D

Guest Fredrich

Yikes, that worked for me as well, thanks for the tip! Waited five minutes and suddenly it continued. I got a score of 1650. It would be nice to find a solution anyway because something is clearly not working as it should..

Best Regards,

Fredrich

Guest Bizzie

Did you guys give it some time to finish the 3/4 IO test ? I used the V4 file with ext4 on a cheap (chinese Kingston class 2 card 2GB).

I notice that it takes a while before it skips top 4/4 at the IO test. Afterwarts i got a score of 1660, so I'm happy :angry:

Guest Daniel.z
waiting 10 minutes is not a problem?, it normally takes a few seconds.. interesting to know it finally finishes though and still gives a big score...

i would have thought that after having to wait 10 minutes it would have had a negative score... shows how reliable these benchmarks are hehe

Ok.. it's a problem... :angry:

the problem is on 3rd test of I/O database writing

2D and 3D tests seems ok

How can we solve it?

hmmm going thru the responses here regarding Quadrant, I wonder if there is some bug in the benching routines, especially the i/o parts.

Does real world usages really reflect the speediness? espeically after using it for a while and not just after a fresh reboot. Beware of placebo effects too :angry:

Not to pour cold water...if it's true, it's really something to be happy about :D