UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest sonofdays

My phone has nothing in the /data directory. I have a Vibrant (Galaxy S) with T-Mobile and am not sure what you all are using that puts data in the /data directory but it seems like our phones might be doing different things. Should I be looking somewhere else for my data?

Guest DistortedLoop
My phone has nothing in the /data directory. I have a Vibrant (Galaxy S) with T-Mobile and am not sure what you all are using that puts data in the /data directory but it seems like our phones might be doing different things. Should I be looking somewhere else for my data?

Your'e rooted already?

It's hard to imagine there's no data in your /data directory. I don't think a phone would operate properly if you had an empty data partition... a lot of important stuff buried in there and the subfolders.

What are you using to check with?

well finally got around to testing this. all i can say is WOW! definitely not a placebo effect. couple it with a good lowmem setting this thing flies. installing stuff, moving between tasks, live wallpaper previews, market etc. all very noticeable improvements.

but from browsing this thread, so far notice several issues reported:-

4) hang at quandrant test 3/4 (io test)

I have the same issue, but I have not applied any of Paul's scripts or used the method in this topic. All I have is MoDaCo r2, with around 7 pages full of apps... The database writes takes somewhere between 30 seconds and 4 or 5 minutes for me. (780~790 score btw)

Edited by jjwa

Guest AndyCr15
Your'e rooted already?

It's hard to imagine there's no data in your /data directory. I don't think a phone would operate properly if you had an empty data partition... a lot of important stuff buried in there and the subfolders.

I'm using Estrong File Explorer and it says /data/ is empty and /disk/data/ is also empty...

I'm having odd things happen. It will work fine for a few hours, then it seems like it maybe unmounts the SD and all of a sudden some of the apps (e-mail, Tapatalk) wont open (blank black screen and then Force Close). If I reboot the device, everything is fine. Any ideas?

Guest Rajesh Pandey

I followed the exact steps as mentioned but am facing a very weird problem. Most of my program fail to install saying Installation failed. Happened with NFS Shift, Asphlat 5, Advanced Task Killer etc. Any help anyone?

On JG5+1Gb ext4

Thanks in advance

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm using Estrong File Explorer and it says /data/ is empty and /disk/data/ is also empty...

I'm having odd things happen. It will work fine for a few hours, then it seems like it maybe unmounts the SD and all of a sudden some of the apps (e-mail, Tapatalk) wont open (blank black screen and then Force Close). If I reboot the device, everything is fine. Any ideas?

Don't use eStrong. You need an app that supports root access. Astro and eStrong don't. Try Root Explorer, or plug into your computer with USB and use adb shell and then cd /data and then ls command. Root explorer's not free, ADB would be.

I just tried eStrong and it also tells me my /data is empty, but Root Explorer doesn't. If you dig into the menu options for eStrong, you'll see that Root options are not on by default, and that they're only supported on Cyanogen and HiAPK ROMS.

Try one of the options I listed above and let us know.

Guest AndyCr15

Okay, thanks. I'm going to use root explorer.

Right, so I used the code a couple of pages back to undo this and now I'm going to try it again. In the first line, copying everything I get loads of errors -

cp: can't preserve ownership of '/disk/data/....' read only file system.

Maybe I'll try re-partitioning?

Could this be my initial problem, I lose write access?

Guest DistortedLoop
Okay, thanks. I'm going to use root explorer.

Right, so I used the code a couple of pages back to undo this and now I'm going to try it again. In the first line, copying everything I get loads of errors -

cp: can't preserve ownership of '/disk/data/....' read only file system.

Maybe I'll try re-partitioning?

Could this be my initial problem, I lose write access?

I wrote some undo instructions a few pages back, but I hadn't tested them. Are those the ones you're talking about? They should work; but I am far from an expert at this.

Also, I am a little confused by what you wrote. Are you saying that you successfully undid the fix by following those instructions? If so, that's good to know.

The problem you're getting (can't preserve ownership) happens when you try to follow the original post's instructions?

If you're getting read only file system errors it sounds like you're not root (lost write access).

Are you using the su command? Busybox?

Are you doing it from adb, adb shell, or the phone's terminal?

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest AndyCr15

I'm beggining to think it's a partitioning problem, will see if I can get it formatted on a Linux machine.

Also, I'm using v3 (with ext3) but I wonder if v4 is any more reliable? If I Odin up to v4 does it wipe?

Guest DistortedLoop
I have the same issue, but I have not applied any of Paul's scripts or used the method in this topic. All I have is MoDaCo r2, with around 7 pages full of apps... The database writes takes somewhere between 30 seconds and 4 or 5 minutes for me. (780~790 score btw)

My phone was virtually unusable with MCR r2 without the fix scripts, lag, crash and stall constantly.

You have to go stock or apply the fixes in my opinion at this point in time. The fixes are there for a reason, after all. :angry:

Don't use eStrong. You need an app that supports root access. Astro and eStrong don't. Try Root Explorer, or plug into your computer with USB and use adb shell and then cd /data and then ls command. Root explorer's not free, ADB would be.

I just tried eStrong and it also tells me my /data is empty, but Root Explorer doesn't. If you dig into the menu options for eStrong, you'll see that Root options are not on by default, and that they're only supported on Cyanogen and HiAPK ROMS.

Try one of the options I listed above and let us know.

For my MoDaCo'd (r2) phone, the Cyanogen mod option failed, but the HiAPK rom option works perfectly :angry:. I stopped looking for alternative root/file explorers after I enabled that.

My phone was virtually unusable with MCR r2 without the fix scripts, lag, crash and stall constantly.

You have to go stock or apply the fixes in my opinion at this point in time. The fixes are there for a reason, after all. :D

I know. I am wondering which method to use tho. Paul's fix can give issues with stuff that needs a lot of space (and maybe also with simply a large number of apps?), and mimocan's fix seems tons faster but I read quite a number of rather unexplainable issues... What I was secretly hoping for was MoDaCo r3, based on JG5, with an easy option to apply this fix (in a relatively safe/issue-free way).

Guest AndyCr15

So, it was all working fine, then I went into the Market and tried to install an app, the point it wanted to actually download the app it FC the market.

I think I'll head to root explorer to see what's going on, no... that wont run either. After a 4 or 5 second black screen it says because it can't get root access... although it's still in Superuser as having it. :angry:

**EDIT** In fact, I can't adb in with root access. When I type su is tells me permissions denied.

I'll try v4

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest DistortedLoop
So, it was all working fine, then I went into the Market and tried to install an app, the point it wanted to actually download the app it FC the market.

I think I'll head to root explorer to see what's going on, no... that wont run either. After a 4 or 5 second black screen it says because it can't get root access... although it's still in Superuser as having it. :angry:

**EDIT** In fact, I can't adb in with root access. When I type su is tells me permissions denied.

I'll try v4

I would try re-running the update.zip that gives root in the first place. I had to do that after re-flashing JG5. I don't think it would hurt anything. Use the one mimocan posted a few back.

Guest aluxzen
I followed the exact steps as mentioned but am facing a very weird problem. Most of my program fail to install saying Installation failed. Happened with NFS Shift, Asphlat 5, Advanced Task Killer etc. Any help anyone?

On JG5+1Gb ext4

Thanks in advance

the same here...I open a post dedicated to the issue

http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-...d-unsuccessful/

Alex

Guest sonofdays
Your'e rooted already?

UPDATE - I managed to reinstall the Kies USB driver (found in C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\USB Driver) and that helped me a lot. After regaining access via adb shell,

su -

# ls

gps

misc

wifi

local

data

app-private

app

property

log

dump

fota

dalvik-cache

lost+found

HALGPS_conf.cfg

CGPS_LOG.txt

GNB_DEBUG.txt

NMEA_DEBUG.txt

NAV_DEBUG.txt

EVENT_LOG.txt

SUPL_EVENT_LOG.txt

GPS_NV_Data.bin

anr

system

backup

#

I found all of that in /data =)

Edited by sonofdays

Guest jdomnia

yahoo!!

Finally guys,

i was about to give up with this fix.. have so much trouble before. but then, i give it a try once more time and it works!! on Kingston 16GB class 2.

score on Quadrant is 1637.. but still the test I/O takes about 15min to complete.. however i notice that FPS test are considerably higher.

used Gparted to partition the card and root explorer to mount the disk. i have no problem with market also.

thanks mimocan for the awsome job.

cheers.

p/s kingston card does works after all. was surveying for sandisk yesterday...hahha save my money..

Guest iLiquid
yahoo!!

Finally guys,

i was about to give up with this fix.. have so much trouble before. but then, i give it a try once more time and it works!! on Kingston 16GB class 2.

score on Quadrant is 1637.. but still the test I/O takes about 15min to complete.. however i notice that FPS test are considerably higher.

used Gparted to partition the card and root explorer to mount the disk. i have no problem with market also.

thanks mimocan for the awsome job.

cheers.

p/s kingston card does works after all. was surveying for sandisk yesterday...hahha save my money..

The IO test is something that bugs me. I think I was the first one to report the issue.

Writing to database took too long. In fact I always ended Quadrand before it ended the "database write" test.

But now that I installed Kernel v4 + ext4 the "database write" test takes about 6/7 seconds to execute.

The IO test is something that bugs me. I think I was the first one to report the issue.

Writing to database took too long. In fact I always ended Quadrand before it ended the "database write" test.

But now that I installed Kernel v4 + ext4 the "database write" test takes about 6/7 seconds to execute.

That issue is probably unrelated to any lag fix. I also have it on my MoDaCo r2 with no script or fix used. For me writing to database takes anything from 30 seconds to 4 minutes.

Guest Balthazar B

Has anyone tried any of these fixes on the Captivate variant of the SGS? Since it comes with a 16GB internal memory module and can take either 16 or 32GB MicroSD card (there's still some spec ambiguity on this), and perhaps subtle differences from the original SGS, would be good to know if we're setting ourselves up for unintended consequences if we begin messing around.

Thanks!

Guest DistortedLoop
Has anyone tried any of these fixes on the Captivate variant of the SGS? Since it comes with a 16GB internal memory module and can take either 16 or 32GB MicroSD card (there's still some spec ambiguity on this), and perhaps subtle differences from the original SGS, would be good to know if we're setting ourselves up for unintended consequences if we begin messing around.

Thanks!

Welcome to MoDaCo @Balthazar B - Doubtful if anyone's tried this stuff on the Captivate, since it's just out. We've only seen one or two people even talk about the T-Mobile version so far. I think someone reported either earlier in this thread or on another in this forum that he had some success rooting his Vibrant, but I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe you can be the guinea pig for us on the Captivate! :angry:

The thing about the Captivate is that AT&T are real pricks about this stuff apparently. I read the other day that the Bootloader is locked down on the Captivate and that even the ability to install non-Market apps is disabled in the software. There's even a rumor that the phone will self-destruct if you try to hack it, but that sounds a bit over-the-top to me.

There's probably better information regarding the Captivate over on the xda-developers forums. I think they have a forum for all five variants of the Galaxy S over there.

Guest psmitty7373
Welcome to MoDaCo @Balthazar B - Doubtful if anyone's tried this stuff on the Captivate, since it's just out. We've only seen one or two people even talk about the T-Mobile version so far. I think someone reported either earlier in this thread or on another in this forum that he had some success rooting his Vibrant, but I'm not 100% sure.

The thing about the Captivate is that AT&T are real pricks about this stuff apparently. I read the other day that the Bootloader is locked down on the Captivate and that even the ability to install non-Market apps is disabled in the software. There's even a rumor that the phone will self-destruct if you try to hack it, but that sounds a bit over-the-top to me.

There's probably better information regarding the Captivate over on the xda-developers forums. I think they have a forum for all five variants of the Galaxy S over there.

I've successfully rooted the T-mobile Vibrant. No issues there. However, I've yet to get the phone into download mode. The only hard keys are of course volume +/- and power. I've tried about every possible combination to find a download mode and have yet to find it.

Guest broona
make very sure your ext4 is correctly mounted by the phone. try going to your /disk and see if there are stuff there? if not, likely that it is not mounted correctly for some reason.

Going into the /disk folder with Root Explorer shows an empty folder with 34.32mb used, and 1.48gb free, I assume this is the ext4 partition, as that's the size I partitioned it to in Gparted?

Guest Balthazar B

Thanks, I've been haunting the XDA forums.

Here's what we know so far with the Captivate:

• It's been rooted (very easily, actually)
  • Sideloading possible (of course)
  • Easy to add non-market app setting to make DL/installation easy.

• Application of SGS custom ROMs
    • Creation of Captivate-specific custom ROMs
    • I/O tweaks as discussed in this and other MoDaCo threads
      Patiently waiting for someone to try the latter...
Edited by Balthazar B

Guest Kilack

Even with this fix, I notice lag creep back in after some time. It maybe better than what it was but definitely still laggy. My wife notices it too and we compared moving around on an old iphone 3gs and the 3gs is way more snappy than the galaxy even with this "fix".

Such a shame.