UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest rob989_69
Any reason the primary has to be fat 32? Could it be NTFS??

Answered my own question. Kind of a bummer, I want to throw a movie over but it's too big....

Guest DistortedLoop
Answered my own question. Kind of a bummer, I want to throw a movie over but it's too big....

Yes, it's incredibly lame that we're stuck with a decade old file system that has no modern features like large files, symlinks, etc.

Guest dantze
Ok.

I think I know what the problem is. There is not enough room in the /system partition.

we will make some room there, here it goes:

adb shell

su -

mount -o remount,rw rootfs /

mv /system/media /disk

ln -s /disk/media /system/media

this should fix the bug.

I just rant the Quadrant Benchmark after applying this lag fix and I got the score of 1535 using 2GB Sandisk card (not sure what class)

However when I tried to run this market '2nd fix' I got the error message : "Unable to move, crosslink data" upon executing this line mv /system/media /disk.

I tried the benchmark again and still got the 1535 score.

Will try to download some apps from the market and see if anything funny... going on

Guest DistortedLoop
What class of SD Card is recommended? Some say Class 6 some Class 2?

Check out this thread here in the forum.

Based on the benchmarks people are reporting, I think the brand of card is more important than the class. I've got a class 6 Transcend, and I've got fairly low scores compared to others who are using Sandisk and aData class 2 cards. There could be other things impacting the difference in speeds we're all getting, though, such as other apps running, size of the partition, whether ext 3 or ext 4 is used, etc, etc.

Most of the apps2sd crowd on other devices suggest that you'll hurt performance if you don't get at least a class 4, and they're essentially doing the same thing we are with mimocan's fix, so who knows for sure.

What we really need to answer this definitively is to find a benchmark app that ONLY tests the i/o speed of the ext partition to see if the i9000 reads/writes any faster in real life to any particular brand, and whether ext 3 or ext 4 performs better.

I've been wanting a 32gb card to replace my 16gb card, but was holding off until the 32s came out in Class 6...I may do just as well grabbing a Sandisk class 2.

Guest googlymoogly

I've read pretty much the entire thread, and couldn't find, or missed, any info about what happens with the phone with this fix, if you USB-mount the phone. I'm on Windows if that matters (since Windows can't read EXT* filesystems out of the box).

Pretty tired of the slowness of this phone...

Guest DistortedLoop
I've read pretty much the entire thread, and couldn't find, or missed, any info about what happens with the phone with this fix, if you USB-mount the phone. I'm on Windows if that matters (since Windows can't read EXT* filesystems out of the box).

Pretty tired of the slowness of this phone...

Nothing happens to this hack when you mount the phone by USB to your computer. The ext partitions are not mounted, only the FAT32 /sdcard and /sdcard/sd directories.

The only problem you'll hit with this is if you physically remove the sdcard itself.

Guest googlymoogly
Nothing happens to this hack when you mount the phone by USB to your computer. The ext partitions are not mounted, only the FAT32 /sdcard and /sdcard/sd directories.

The only problem you'll hit with this is if you physically remove the sdcard itself.

Awesome, thanks!

Guest ragflan

Edit: Ignore my Quadrant benchmark scores. But I don't like the database storage low error. Anything else I can check?

I already applied the fix using ODIN. Ran the commands. I see /disk in when i use Root File Explorer.

Edited by ragflan

Guest ragflan

I get database storage low problem even after applying this fix. Is there anything I need to check? I assigned 1GB to ext3 on my external card...

EDIT: Does my newly formatted card need to be in the phone when I use ODIN (I ask before when u flash firmwares, no external cards are supposed to be in).

Edited by ragflan

Guest ragflan

Can someone advice me? I dont think the method fully worked for me. I see /disk. And there's media, lost+found and data. It should that /disk is 1G in size. Which is what I assigned. All's well.

But when I go into /disk/data, it says 46mb of 80mb used.

When I go into /data, I see data.bak as a folder. Inside all my apps are found. There's also /data/data.bak/data where all applications are again.

Finally I see /dbdata/data has all my apps again.

Please advice.

Guest Calcvictim
Check out this thread here in the forum.

Based on the benchmarks people are reporting, I think the brand of card is more important than the class. I've got a class 6 Transcend, and I've got fairly low scores compared to others who are using Sandisk and aData class 2 cards. There could be other things impacting the difference in speeds we're all getting, though, such as other apps running, size of the partition, whether ext 3 or ext 4 is used, etc, etc.

Most of the apps2sd crowd on other devices suggest that you'll hurt performance if you don't get at least a class 4, and they're essentially doing the same thing we are with mimocan's fix, so who knows for sure.

What we really need to answer this definitively is to find a benchmark app that ONLY tests the i/o speed of the ext partition to see if the i9000 reads/writes any faster in real life to any particular brand, and whether ext 3 or ext 4 performs better.

I've been wanting a 32gb card to replace my 16gb card, but was holding off until the 32s came out in Class 6...I may do just as well grabbing a Sandisk class 2.

do you know if Android has the "dd" command in it, if it does it would be fairly simple to write a random padded file to a card and see how long it takes, then do the same thing with other cards

Guest DistortedLoop
do you know if Android has the "dd" command in it, if it does it would be fairly simple to write a random padded file to a card and see how long it takes, then do the same thing with other cards

I think busybox has dd command.

Guest Astridax

Can any body explain why after doing this fix, I have very good quadrant scores, 1600 ish. However every program takes like 5-10 seconds to boot, black screen then finally appears.

Guest kenxken
I have made a custom kernel to mount an ext3 partition on the sdcard at the boot time.

to be able to use it:

-- you need an external sdcard: partitioned as follows:

- partition 1 (fat32) / for your storage needs

- partition 2 (ext3) / for program database

This implies that instead of making a symlink to the /dbdata directory, you will make a symlink to the ext3 partition on the sdcard.

Advantages:

-- you have the freedom of creating that partition for your needs.It is reported that you have market download problems if you make it too big, ie larger than 2gb. ( mine is 1gb)

-- after applying the lag fix posted on the forum I still had that lagging after a while, but now my phone is flying

If I am allowed to post it here I will do that. Maybe Paul can shine on this.

And here it is:

Prerequisites:

-- an external sd card partitioned in 2

-- the ext3 partition must be the 2nd one, otherwise this won't work, so Partition 1 ishould be fat32, and partition 2 ext3

-- use gparted or paragon hard disk manager to make the partitions and format them (just google how to do this)

How to:

-- download the tar file attached to this post, this includes the modified kernel which supports ext3 and automounts the ext3 partition when you restart your phone

-- put the phone in download mode, just like updating the firmware

-- fire up Odin and attach the phone to the USB

-- choose only the PDA section and put the downloaded tar into there ( do NOT choose repartition or something else otherwise you will use settings)

-- it should finish within 5 seconds and wait till the phone is booted

when booted (assuming you already have busybox)

adb shell

su -

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox mv /data/data /data/data.bak

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

to fix market issues:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

busybox ln -s /disk/media /system/media

reboot

when booted you should see your 2nd partition of your external sdcard is mounted on /disk and your program database in residing in it.

If you do it like this you won't loose any personal data or settings.

Remember this does not depend on any specific firmware, so you are free to try it to on any firmware

If you want to try out the kernel with ext4 support I have attached it below. The same steps should be taken to mount the 2nd partition as ext4, but create the partition as ext4.

My personal experience and benchmark results are showing ext4 is faster than ext3. But ext3 is there for many years and ext4 is stable stated from kernel versions 2.6.3x.

Download v3:

http://www.multiupload.com/5QAVQBU6GB

Download v4 (ext4) support:

http://www.multiupload.com/Z8TGXRRNCS

gr, Mimo from Holland

Please update a Kernel with JP3 version ,or can you show us the step how to create my custom kernel ? thank you very much

Guest DistortedLoop
Can any body explain why after doing this fix, I have very good quadrant scores, 1600 ish. However every program takes like 5-10 seconds to boot, black screen then finally appears.

That actually sounds like the phone did before the fix for me.

I think another thing we need to do on the Galaxy S line is to run AutoKiller or MinFreeManager, the more aggressive the better, in my opinion. Between the mimocan fix and AutoKiller, my phone's pretty much lag free, like 99% lag free...

edit: Well...maybe 95% lag free. All phones lag once in a while. ;-)

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest dekela

Please Please help!!!

I am a N00B and I have no idea how to re partition my SD card, How to install Roms, How to install the kernel and have no idea what G5 means and all the other words used here...

I am a technical guy, Buy I am trying endlessly to find a decent tutorial that will allow me to better understand my new SGS...

Is there anything on this forum that ca help me get going..

I need to know:

which apps to use for re partitioning.

What is the recommended sizes?

can it be done on a MAC?

how to install the kernel fix?

I just got my SGS yesterday and I really want to fix the lag issue.

Thanks,

Dekel

Guest DistortedLoop

Well, it's all the forums here if you search a little, so I'm not going to type a full tutorial just now, but some tips for you:

Flash with Odin instructions are available on the Samsung-Firmwares website, along with the various leaked firmwares, and the Odin program itself.

Paul's sticky thread for MCR rom has decent instructions on installing a ROM I think.

Get the GPARTED LIVE cd image (it's free and downloadable) and burn a CD or USB stick or VMWare image to run it to partition your sdcard. Make sure when you do it that BOTH partitions are marked as PRIMARY, and that the FAT32 partition is at the front and the EXT3 or 4 partition is at the end of the free space.

Partition size depends on how big your external card is. I have a 16gb card and I devoted 1gb to the ext partition, but I think I overcommitted. I've got dozens of apps, including some large games and apps like Asphalt and Google Earth and I've only used 103mb of the ext partition so far. I think you won't go wrong with 512mb size, especially if you're on a smaller sdcard (8gb or 4gb). You'll probably have better luck with a card reader than trying to do it on the phone.

Odin CANNOT be done on a Mac from within OS X. It's a windows app, and the timing on the drivers is too sensitive for VMWare. You can do it from Boot Camp, of course. GPARTED, as mentioned above is a Linux program, but it can be ran from VMWare, or from a bootable cd.

You'll also need the Android developer's toolkit stuff on your Mac (this stuff works on the Mac OS X) so that you can use ADB to issue the commands to run the lag fix. You could do them from a terminal app on the phone itself I believe, but adb is easier in my opinion.

G5 is actually JG5, that's just the short name for one of the various leaked ROMs you'll find on the samsungs-firmware site. ROMs are generally referred to by the last three letters of the long filename they come in.

You'll need to root the phone, this is easy enough with an update.zip file floating around here, and when you find it, the instructions should be clear. Essentially put the zip in the root of your INTERNAL sdcard, then reboot to recovery and it self-installs. When you find the zip, there should be clearer instructions if that's not self-explanatory.

You don't need to do the root thing if you install an already rooted ROM from ODIN (I think MCR is rooted).

You should also consider Clockwork ROM Mgr from the Market. It might even root the phone as part of its installation, but I'm not sure of that. Use this app's NANDROID backup feature to make a restorable image of the phone before you do anything else to make sure you have a safe configuration to return to if you screw something up.

The kernel fix installation instructions are clearly spelled out in the first post. Read that a few times and it should be clear, but in a nutshell, do it like this, root your phone, clockwork nandroid backup, repartition your external sd card with gparted, install mimocan's kernel via Odin, type the terminal commands EXACTLY as listed (REPEAT: EXACTLY as listed) and then reboot, you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. There's a lot going on here to do this stuff, it's worth a few hours of reading/research to make sure you understand what you're doing so if something goes wrong you've got an idea on how to fix it on your own.

Please Please help!!!

I am a N00B and I have no idea how to re partition my SD card, How to install Roms, How to install the kernel and have no idea what G5 means and all the other words used here...

I am a technical guy, Buy I am trying endlessly to find a decent tutorial that will allow me to better understand my new SGS...

Is there anything on this forum that ca help me get going..

I need to know:

which apps to use for re partitioning.

What is the recommended sizes?

can it be done on a MAC?

how to install the kernel fix?

I just got my SGS yesterday and I really want to fix the lag issue.

Thanks,

Dekel

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

This is actually a duplicate post of something I posted in another thread, but since that one doesn't get much attention, I thought it might be interesting to those in this thread, and might spark some more conversation about what the real problem with lag on the i9000 is.

I mentioned the DD command, I tried the command through ADB shell and it works as expected on my Acer Liquid (Android 2.1) so I think if would work on the Galaxy just fine, the test consists of writing a file and then reading it to ram in order to see what the speed is. I ran the command from a terminal on the phone itself and no time was displayed so it only works from ADB

total read speed=10.04 MB/s

Excellent instructions, thanks. I'll give them a try when I get a chance over the weekend.

Just finished running this test on four different parts of my phone, the internal sdcard, the external sdcard, the external ext4 partition, and the internal /data partition (the default area for our ROM stuff that we're moving to the ext partition).

I ran four reads of a random.txt file in each directory. There appears to be some kind of read cache-ing going on, since the tests consistently read faster at least the 2nd and 3rd time conducted, the 4th usually not the best speed, so what's up with that?

Anyways, the results were a bit surprising to me:

BEST SPEED ON EXTERNAL SDCARD EXT 4 = 15.79 MB/S

BEST SPEED ON EXTERNAL SDCARD FAT32 = 15.6 MB/S

BEST SPEED ON INTERNAL SDCARD FAT32 = 13.1 MB/S

BEST SPEED ON INTERNAL ROM AREA = 13.6 MB/S

All these speeds suggest class 6 performance on both the internal and external cards, ROM or SDCard areas alike.

What's more interesting to me is that the ext 4 partition only performs about 16% faster than the internal ROM on the reads of a 100mb file. Given that most of our apps are much smaller than that, I don't think the actual speed of reading a raw file off the memory cards is what fixes the lag problem. I mean if it only takes 6-7 seconds to read a 100mb file, and most apps are under 20mb, the perceivable difference on a read of a file under 20mb is only 0.19 seconds. Is that enough to account for the amount of lag that makes the phone seem unusable to many of us? I doubt it.

This is obviously a very simple test and I'm probably reading more into than should be in terms of lag, but it makes me wonder what the real issue on the i/o of having /data/data in the ROM memory area vs the /dbdata (Paul's fix) or the ext 4 /disk/data (mimocan's fix) really is? Additionally, claims by those on newer ROMS that Samsung's somehow fixed that on later ROMS (JG5, JMx...) without resulting to using an external card suggests this isn't the problem.

The mimocan fix obviously works, the difference in lag and usability of my phone with and without are obvious, but I wonder what's really going on behind the scenes.

# pwd

/disk/test

# dd if=/dev/urandom bs=512 count=200000 of=./random.txt

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 120.206 secs (851870 bytes/sec)

# dd if=./random.txt of=/dev/null

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.273 secs (14079472 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 6.182 secs (16564218 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 5.953 secs (17201411 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 6.730 secs (15215453 bytes/sec)

# 

BEST SPEED ON EXTERNAL SDCARD EXT4 = 15.79 MB/S

# cd /sdcard

# mkdir ./test

# cd ./test

/sdcard/test

# ls

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 121.238 secs (844619 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 8.807 secs (11627114 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.997 secs (12804801 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.438 secs (13767141 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 8.293 secs (12347763 bytes/sec)

BEST SPEED ON INTERNAL SDCARD FAT32 = 13.1 MB/S

# cd /sdcard/sd

# mkdir ./test

# cd ./test

/sdcard/sd/test

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 126.224 secs (811256 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.427 secs (13787531 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 8.998 secs (11380306 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.648 secs (13389121 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 6.249 secs (16386621 bytes/sec)

# 

BEST SPEED ON EXTERNAL SDCARD FAT32 = 15.6 MB/S

# cd ./test

/data/test

# ls

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 125.916 secs (813240 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 9.105 secs (11246567 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 8.828 secs (11599456 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.507 secs (13640602 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 7.178 secs (14265812 bytes/sec)

200000+0 records in

200000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 6.956 secs (14721104 bytes/sec)

BEST SPEED ON INTERNAL ROM AREA = 13.6 MB/S

Guest twisted_mind

my galaxy S screen goes black right at bootup.. i followed the instructions in the OP and created the first partition as fat32 of 6.5GB and the second as EXT4 of 995MB

please help

Guest morfic

user@host ~ $ adb shell

$ su

# echo anticipatory > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

# echo anticipatory > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/scheduler

# echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# echo 70 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

I would like to know what user who have not yet flashed the kernel to move /data/data/ to mmcblk1p2 experience with these settings. It's non destructive and non invasive.

Obviously i think this makes utter sense and i feel "the phone is snappy", hence the "what do you think.

There are a few more that are exposed in the Vibrant kernel, just need some more subjective testing on those, as they are new to me, above is more "proven oldies but goldies"

Don't like this at all, reboot or if you are not a fan of rebooting:

This is what you should find before applying the lines above:

user@host ~ $ adb shell

$ su

# echo cfq > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

# echo cfq > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/scheduler

# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# echo 75 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not tried yet what anticipatory does when changing it to the stl partitions, that's next.

stl partitions:

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if you think "But cfq is better for interactivity" yes and no, intention is to be better, but you have a stall, and the better your throughput, the shorter the stall. so you could see if deadline shortens stalls further w/o affecting your phone otherwise.

The move to a faster card is obviously right, the problem is compounded by slow devices, just thought it wouldn't hurt to try to make it more bearable with the slow partition. And no, i don't have the files needed to pack this into a nice clean boot.img.

Guest Astridax

Sorry I am a compete noob at bash and terminal commands in linux.

If I wanted to flash a different firmware and not have mimocan's fix how would I go about undoing the changes made. I assume I would have move the database of the sd card back to where it was supposed to be.

What are the necessary commands to perform this?

Guest DistortedLoop

Isn't there an app for that...? LOL

Seriously, this looks like the kind of stuff you can set with SetCPU or something similar. If there's not an app, perhaps easy to write it as a script for use with the ASE to make implementing routinely easier than a few terminal commands.

Also, you're specifically addressing people who haven't tried the move fix, but I'm sure most reading this thread have, so with that in mind, I think this should be in it's own thread as it's something new and a lot easier for noobs to do without screwing up their phones.

Finally, do you think this would have a positive impact on a phone in addition to the /data/data move type fixes? Seems like it should. I'm willing to give it a try on my lag-fixed phone, but not sure there's an objective way to test it at this point, my phone feels pretty snappy anyways.

user@host ~ $ adb shell

$ su

# echo anticipatory > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

# echo anticipatory > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/scheduler

# echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# echo 70 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

I would like to know what user who have not yet flashed the kernel to move /data/data/ to mmcblk1p2 experience with these settings. It's non destructive and non invasive.

Obviously i think this makes utter sense and i feel "the phone is snappy", hence the "what do you think.

There are a few more that are exposed in the Vibrant kernel, just need some more subjective testing on those, as they are new to me, above is more "proven oldies but goldies"

Don't like this at all, reboot or if you are not a fan of rebooting:

This is what you should find before applying the lines above:

user@host ~ $ adb shell

$ su

# echo cfq > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

# echo cfq > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/scheduler

# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# echo 75 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

I have not tried yet what anticipatory does when changing it to the stl partitions, that's next.

stl partitions:

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Now if you think "But cfq is better for interactivity" yes and no, intention is to be better, but you have a stall, and the better your throughput, the shorter the stall. so you could see if deadline shortens stalls further w/o affecting your phone otherwise.

The move to a faster card is obviously right, the problem is compounded by slow devices, just thought it wouldn't hurt to try to make it more bearable with the slow partition. And no, i don't have the files needed to pack this into a nice clean boot.img.