O2 Sim Unlock

Guest yosemite-sam

Guest yosemite-sam

I just spoke to an O2 advisor through their online help and arranged to get my streak unlocked. I knew it was a long shot with all this talk of it being exclusive, this was my result....

:angry:

lol

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest vinokirk

They basically said, we arent unlocking streaks at the moment, and even if we were you wouldnt be able to do it anyway as the phone isnt registered in your name and theres no way to register it in your name so you wont ever be able to get your Streak unlocked by us

Guest yosemite-sam
this is total crap it doesn't matter who's it it is all they need is the imei

it is total crap, i got an email saying they cant do it and it was a mistake to say they could. exclusive my ass!

Guest talboy
we really dont have a hope in hell we need someone to devleop a software unlock but its unlikley with the minimal support

Hi guys i am new to modaco, i got a dell streak off ebay yesterday, and only just come across this area on this website about the dell streak... i am a little worried that i have bought a dud as i am contracted to orange..

I have never come accross a phone which cannot be sim unlocked before, normally this is easy from even just the little used phone shops etc or using forums online...

I ordered a rebel sim card yesterday and it should arrive over the weekend, but after reading some stories of it not workign on here i am a little gutted and now think that i wont be able to use my phone on orange at all?

is this true? Does the rebel sim not actually work?

Guest jayesh9092

I HAVE UNLOCKED DELL STREAK.I REALLY WANT TO HELP U GUYS HOW CAN I COPY COMPLET ROM AND RADIO FROM MY DIVICE SO THAT U GUYS CAN FLASH YOUR CURRENT O2 ROM. PLEASE GUIDE ME WILL SURLY DO IT WHEN I GET INSTRUCTION.

MY DELL STREAK DETAILS.

FIRMWARE 1.6

BASEBAND VERSION:GAUSB1A110700-EU

KERNEL VERSION : 2.6.29-PERF

OEM VERSION:GAUSB1A110700

BUID NUMBER:4399

Guest Fawaad

So what if someone gets the Unlock code from O2.

What are the chances the code is same for all the devices? It must be related to IMEI #

Guest treble4
Hi guys i am new to modaco, i got a dell streak off ebay yesterday, and only just come across this area on this website about the dell streak... i am a little worried that i have bought a dud as i am contracted to orange..

I have never come accross a phone which cannot be sim unlocked before, normally this is easy from even just the little used phone shops etc or using forums online...

I ordered a rebel sim card yesterday and it should arrive over the weekend, but after reading some stories of it not workign on here i am a little gutted and now think that i wont be able to use my phone on orange at all?

is this true? Does the rebel sim not actually work?

it works fine on 2g but not on 3g i think this device is gonna sink theres just no support for it its buggy as hell im sick of it locking up on me i think im gonna go back to the iphone 4 but i will miss the screen size though

Guest Fawaad

As far as I understand Rebel Sim works fine on 2G but as soon as you lose signal, for eg going through a tunnel, you have to take the sim out and swap it with some other 2G unlocked phone.

That makes it useless.

Guest mobiholic

Most completely new handsets have this problem at release, the iPhone was the same but with such a huge market it was bound to be unlocked quickly. It's just one of the hazards early adopters face, so you need to give it time for someone to come up with a hack and accept the fact that living on the cutting edge of technology comes with risks.

I'm hoping that we'll see an unlocking solution soon but I am prepared in-case it never materializes.

Think about this though, while the market for the unlock is small there's no real motivation for the hackers looking to get paid to invest the time and money needed to create an unlock for it. Once the US gets the Streak and the owner base increases dramatically, selling an unlock solution becomes a far more lucrative prospect to those looking to get paid so they are more likely to invest in trying to find a way to unlock the handset. Sure the open community might come up with something between now and then (crosses fingers), but if they don't at least we know that with more people using the device it is considerably more likely to have a paid unlock in the future.

All speculation I know but what else can we do :angry:

EDIT: Even for the open community, hacking a device that has a low profile isn't a priority like it is with a high profile device so once it hits in the US and it receives more publicity then I would expect more effort to go into unlocking it. Not to mention the US release will get it into the hands of more people with the skills to unlock it.

Edited by mobiholic

Guest Magxs

I went to the O2 store from which I bought my Streak and talked to them about unlocking. Much to my surprise, they told me that my Streak could be unlocked at any time, because I am on a contract. But I had to call the customer care centre for that.

So, I did. Again, much to my surprise, I was told that O2 would be willing to unlock it for me, but that this was technically not possible on the Streak. To clarify, I asked if this also meant that the Streak would never be unlocked, even after the contract period is over and this was confirmed.

In Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile Networks there is an option to network unlock. But, indeed this greyed out. If I had an unlock code, I could not enter it.

As you can never be quite sure about the quality of information provided by these hotlines, can this really be true??

This would be big blow.

Guest vagouar
I went to the O2 store from which I bought my Streak and talked to them about unlocking. Much to my surprise, they told me that my Streak could be unlocked at any time, because I am on a contract. But I had to call the customer care centre for that.

So, I did. Again, much to my surprise, I was told that O2 would be willing to unlock it for me, but that this was technically not possible on the Streak. To clarify, I asked if this also meant that the Streak would never be unlocked, even after the contract period is over and this was confirmed.

In Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile Networks there is an option to network unlock. But, indeed this greyed out. If I had an unlock code, I could not enter it.

As you can never be quite sure about the quality of information provided by these hotlines, can this really be true??

This would be big blow.

This is O2's bullshit.

Ofcourse they can provide an unlock code (they have a key generator for each and every phone they lock) and ofcourse you can enter the code to your phone.

Just put another sim (other than O2) and your streak will prompt you to enter an unlock code.

So simple (just an IMEI and in a minute they can provide the code), but so full of lies and crap from O2.

Edited by vagouar

Guest mobiholic

This would be big blow.

No i will go out on a limb and say this is nonsense.

At some point all the uk o2 and carphonewarehouse units were locked. This means that they can be unlocked, after-all the hardware is the same as the Dell direct ones which come fully unlocked.

Perhaps o2 cant do it for you but that doesnt mean it cant be done.

Guest vagouar
As far as I understand Rebel Sim works fine on 2G but as soon as you lose signal, for eg going through a tunnel, you have to take the sim out and swap it with some other 2G unlocked phone.

That makes it useless.

In many networks yes, that's what the situation is.

But in my country Greece, with some networks it works ok (only with one doesn't find the signal after it looses it in a tunnel), and the only problem in that occasion is the 3g that makes incoming phoncalls impossible.

All in all, you can't rely on a rebelsim card...

Guest marra2

You get the opportunity to enter an unlock code if you put a non o2 sim in as just tried with an orange sim card, you get 10 attempts !

Guest Magxs
This is O2's bullshit.

Ofcourse they can provide an unlock code (they have a key generator for each and every phone they lock) and ofcourse you can enter the code to your phone.

Just put another sim (other than O2) and your streak will prompt you to enter an unlock code.

So simple (just an IMEI and in a minute they can provide the code), but so full of lies and crap from O2.

Thanks for the info! A bit relieved now.

As O2 told me that they would unlock it, if it was possible, I gave them another call and asked them for the unlock code anyway. Now the answer has changed somewhat. In essence they told me that it was correct that it is impossible to unlock it, but not because of technical constraints, but because they don't want to. Exclusivity and so on.

I asked when the Exclusivity period ended, but they wouldn't say. Has anybody heard/read anything about this?

The fact that it is actually not exclusive to O2 anymore, didn't seem to be of much interest...

Edited by Magxs