Removing Stock Apps

Guest AndyCr15

Guest AndyCr15

So, I'm apparently running out of space and I see some stock apps I just don't want...

I'm rooted, so how do I go in and remove (or backup and then remove) stock apps such as 'ThinkFree Office' or 'AllShare'?

Thanks.

Guest DistortedLoop
So, I'm apparently running out of space and I see some stock apps I just don't want...

I'm rooted, so how do I go in and remove (or backup and then remove) stock apps such as 'ThinkFree Office' or 'AllShare'?

Thanks.

I haven't tried, but you might be able to use "adb uninstall" or "adb shell" and then the rm command on the specific apk packages you want to get rid of.

Root Explorer with r/w enabled and navigate over to the apps or system partition wherever the apk you want to get rid of and deleting the apk might work as well.

Not might fault if you screw something up! ;-)

You might search around on XDA and one of the more popular devices (so more users with knowledge) and see how they're doing. Same technique should work for us on the SGS.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop
Well, the main thing I wanted to check is where they are. Someone's told me they're in /system/app/ :angry:

Oh, LOL. I'd have just poked around with ls or a GUI explorer looking for them.

Anyways, yes, that's where they are.

Looks like it's dlna.apk and thinkdroid.apk that you're after (your examples in the first post).

You could back up by adb pulling them.

I wonder if you could just move them to your ext partition if you've done mimocan's fix and still wanted to use them but needed to free up space. I might try that later today, don't have time to mess with it this morning.