No More O2 Unlimited Data

Guest the_didge

Guest the_didge

When i signed up to my 18 month contact, O2 told me (and i double checked) that there was no cap on my data usage.

I called up today after i read that they were no longer offering this and that it will be a 500mb allowance starting on the 1st of October. So i asked them to check if my contact will be affected by this new cap. Apparently YES they will be capping everyone, old and new despite it saying that it will only affect contacts signing up after 24th June (i was on the 9th).

I remember a few years ago (2006) O2 said that 0845 numbers would no longer be deducted form your monthly call allowance and instead be charged at a certain rate. This caused a big problem and hundreds of O2 customers were not happy with the change in the service details. What happened next was O2 was forced to terminate the contacts early, with no penalty to the customer meaning that all those involved got off their contracts early (some up to 15 months early).

Is anyone else angry at the fact that there is now a data cap on our streaks? Does anyone else use their streak for lots of data?

Guest Dogmann55

@the_didge

I did try to explaining this in another thread to some here as was sure this is what was going to happen and that unlimited data from the 1st October would no longer exist on any 02 tariff irrespective of when it was started but was told i was wrong. However if you can prove that you did have unlimited data and not subject to a Fair Use Policy then in the same way as happened before if the terms of your contract have been changed to your detriment you may well be able to cancel your contract with no penalty. Fortunately this doesn't effect me as i took mine on the Mobile Broadband tariff as wanted to make sure on the Streak i had more than enough Data and this way got 3GB per month with no FUP it really is 3GB per month.

Marc

Guest GriZlore

I have just (when the Streak was released) started a new contract,

However, my "unlimited data" was a separate bolt-on, costing £5. I think ost of the most recent "unlimited's" are actually 'bolt-on', which included in your overall tariff.

As 'bolt ons' they are not part of this cap, and therefore will not be affected with this recent change... well... this is what I have been told by o2

Guest the_didge

Mine is a Bolt On as well, but i was told differently.

Ill speak to my companies account manager and try to find out whats really going on.

Guest mobiholic

Prior to the 24th(?) of June O2 offered unlimited Data, anyone on those tariffs will continue to receive unlimited Data. Anyone who took out a tariff after this date will be subject to different terms and conditions (new smartphone plans in fact) that have a very specific cap (500mb / 750mb etc) however as a promotion O2 are offering these new tariffs unlimited data until the end of September.

The confusion comes because customer services often cannot make the distinction between the old and new tariffs without having it spelled out to them. Rest assured, if you were on the old tariff your unlimited usage allowance is protected and should things change (for those on the older tariff) then you will have grounds to terminate your contract.

Not sure about the Date so i'll double check that now.

There you go = http://news.o2.co.uk/Press-Releases/O2-int...-model-2a3.aspx

Edited by mobiholic

Guest Metoo
@mobiholic Thanks

See my post #8 here

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...iffs-for-july/#

Sounds to me it's just CS agents making it up as they go along (nothing unusual there then). If you want to be sure, use the contact form on the O2's web site to get a written response - and challenge it if it seems wrong (some of the 1st line responses come from offshore). But I really don't see how they can enforce a hard cap instead of FUP when both the press release and the CEO have publicly stated that contracts with unlimited data prior to June 24th will continue as before, for as long as they like.