New to Android - Desire rooting steps confirmation

Guest ace3029

Guest ace3029

Hi

I've just bought a Desire and i'm eager to root, i came along this forum. I've been reading this forum for about a week now dithering on whether i should root. Can someone please look at this list of rooting steps to acheive Pauls Froyo rom and tell me if i'm on the right lines. Came from Nokia (smartphones?!?) which seemed much easier and less scary to hack.

step 1, Root using Pauls riskfreerooting guide.

2 download rom manager.

3, install from rom manager clockworkmod.

4, partition sd for app2sd.

5, perform nandroid backup using rom manager

6, use rom manager to flash from sd card the downloaded froyo rom in this forum.

Much appreciated if someone could confirm these are the right steps in order.

And thanks Paul, without i would be waiting for froyo amongst other goodies for months..cheers.

Edited by ace3029

Guest ace3029
Hi

I've just bought a Desire and i'm eager to root, i came along this forum. I've been reading this forum for about a week now dithering on whether i should root. Can someone please look at this list of rooting steps to acheive Pauls Froyo rom and tell me if i'm on the right lines. Came from Nokia (smartphones?!?) which seemed much easier and less scary to hack.

2 download rom manager.

6, use rom manager to flash from sd card the downloaded froyo rom in this forum.

Much appreciated if someone could confirm these are the right steps in order.

And thanks Paul, without i would be waiting for froyo amongst other goodies for months..cheers.

Guest bhu73

I am just going throught the same existential crisis, it would be nice not to have to go through two or three 60,70,80 page threads to establish what exactly us noobs should be doing.

my trawling so far leads me to believe :-

you are correct but/and :-

THe process can be shortened by exchanging the update.zip for the kitchen bakey froyo thingy you can get by subscribing.

I "think" you only need the "fake-flash clockwordmod stuff" to make things easier if/when you want to update or change roms.

it would be nice if someone who actually knows what they are talking about could confirm this

Guest h0mer_
That looks like a reasonable sequence:

2 download rom manager.

Consider also the making of the goldcard, that is part of the riskfreerooting process, however it is probably a significant step in itself.

Here is a recount of my rooting experience that I posted to another forum. A bit long-winded, however that's how I felt the process was after enduring it the first time; as it's no where near as straight-forward as say the 6 easy steps you have suggest it is (I don't want to make it sound difficult or dangerous or anything else, because in hindsight it is easy and straight forward, but you need to employ knowledge that at the start of the process for the first time many people may not be aware that they have :angry: )

There's a bit of an order to it all, that for me wasn't obvious until I was wading around in it for real.

First thing, download 'MyBackup' from the app store and follow your nose through backing up your Desire's data and apps to your sd card. Then copy these backup files to your computer. There's a few backup programs about that people mention. This was one of them and worked okay for what I was doing.

The need to make a goldcard was first. So that meant installing HTC Sync and also the Android SDK on the lappy.

When making the goldcard, work out if you need to use the one and only micro-sd card you have – the one that came with the phone – or if you have others around the place that can be used. You'll loose the contents of it, so back-up, back-up and back-up. Also, plenty of people report that they go through a few micro-sd cards before finding one where the goldcard process completes. For me, it worked, eventually, on the first one I tried.

Once the goldcard was done, then use the *correct* R6 Root package from the MoDoCo site. I went with the first one on there initially and it kept failing, then I hit my head and realised how stupid my error was, quietly downloaded the -Alt package and never looked back – worked like a charm :D

From here on in, the phone is now rooted. Let it start up, plonk in your google account details and head off to the app store. The next not so obvious tip that I eventually worked out: download and install the app 'Rom Manager'. Once installed, follow your nose in the app's menu options to download and install the 'ClockworkMod Recovery' thingo. This app lets you boot into the recovery console whilst the phone is up and running. This gives you the ability to load up a zip file that isn't named 'update.zip' – a limitation I noticed when booting into the recovery console via the key-press combo at start-up. Once that's installed then your right for the next step...

You're also finished with the goldcard, and can either remove that from the phone and put it aside for a rainy day, or format it when the phone starts up and use it again as normal.

Now you're at the point where you can download and plonk onto the sd card a custom rom that you've downloaded and want to try. Probably a good idea to at least give Muskie's a go. The golden rule here is to copy the zip file that you've downloaded to the root of the sd card, without unzipping it and most importantly *without* renaming it.

And once you've done that, go back to the phone, fire up 'Rom Manager', reboot to the recovery console, (you may want to select the wipe function before flashing your rom??) follow the prompts to let you choose a zip file on the sd card, select the file which is the Custom Rom you want to install, and wait a bit. When done, reboot, wait a bit more (the first reboot always seems to be a bit longer) and you should be using your new rom.

A tip when using the app 'Rom Manager' and are in its recovery manager – you need to press the trackball button to select your option, unlike the normal recovery console where you use tap the power button)

When you have your new rom up and running, I found it best to download all the apps that I wanted to have on there from the app store fresh again, and set them up again, etc.

Next, when I was finally happy with what I had achieved, I re-installed my data from those backups I made with MyBackup. In the end, I was only reinstalling SMSs, MMSs, call log. Google/Gmail took care of all my contacts and calander things. The rest of the stuff I started fresh.

So when all that was done I saw that thread on MoDoCo about the FroYo on Desire, so I did it all again...

Point to note, after loading the r21 FroYo rom I found that I was getting a few 'forced closes', the handset would not make any phone calls, yet SMS worked okay, the browser wouldn't access any websites and a few other major things not right. I ended up doing nothing else except wiping and re-installing the FroYo rom again and it worked fine, without any noticeable errors. When I was looking about the forums I noticed this had happened to quite a few others as well, and they fixed it in the same manner as well. Odd, but no biggie ;)

Also, be aware that this rom is actual a cut and shut from the released Nexus One rom, for what it's worth. In fact I recieved an email from Google congratulating me on updating my N1 a short while after starting it the first time – haha

And it's still working fine here now and I'm very impressed with the improvements.

I am just going throught the same existential crisis, it would be nice not to have to go through two or three 60,70,80 page threads to establish what exactly us noobs should be doing.

my trawling so far leads me to believe :-

It is the trawling through a few dozen threads, particularly the mega-page ones, prior to starting this process where you learn some of the information you will need to know to successfully root phone and flash your desired rom. Some, maybe a lot, of the information may make no sense at the point in time of reading, however when it comes to doing you will recollect what you have read, and know where to find the relevant information you need at the time. Hence making a return on the the investment of time and effort of reading some of these massive threads in the first place.

If you don't do the research initially then you're simply another person posting, 'how do I root my phone, please hand feed me...', and miss so much of the bigger picture. I'm not suggesting the two people posting in this tread are of that category - as they both post some very sensible stuff, and sometimes all what one needs is the reassurance that their understanding of what they have read is sufficient to be able to attempt to root their phone without any dire or obvious consequences.

THe process can be shortened by exchanging the update.zip for the kitchen bakey froyo thingy you can get by subscribing.

I "think" you only need the "fake-flash clockwordmod stuff" to make things easier if/when you want to update or change roms.

it would be nice if someone who actually knows what they are talking about could confirm this

It certainly makes it easier, as it allows you to use a rom image that isn't named 'update.zip' that the native bootloader will only look for. Also, it allows you to create or restore a nandroid backup at any time. Again, something else that the native bootloader doesn't let you do :D There's also some other more advanced uses it can perform however probably not necessary to be aware of at the moment :(

Guest ace3029

Thanks for the reply and the log of your first rooting experience. Yeah i did spend hours looking at others experiences but just needed confirmation that the steps/order was ok as i had to conbine several threads to root how i wanted, i'll try this tonight...cheers.

Guest spammyspam

Any particular reason why you're not looking at using unrEVOked? Although I used r6, if I was doing it now I'd stick to the one-click version.

Guest EddyOS

My 2p...

I'd always use the TinyCore Linux method, only one that's ever worked for me, and for flashing ROMs I use Fake-Flash as I don't like a GUI interface to do things for me. I prefer to see what I'm doing

Guest Elbereth

I rooted my HTC Desire with the r4 method, I got some failures on Win7 x64 at that time, which were fixed by r5 iirc. Not sure how Unrevoked works but the 1 click root process seems easy, I think I would go with that if I had to do it now.

I am using Clockwork 2.5.0.1 (Fake-Flash) myself which is easy to use, much easier/safer to flash stuff than before. :angry:

Guest bhu73

Many thanks to everyone here for their replies, my concerns were founded upon reading through the various threads and finding that there were sometimes conflicting and (to me) not entirely clear sets of instructions, and as the noob that I am, I am incapable of establishing their merit or level of correctness. :-)

Any particular reason why you're not looking at using unrEVOked? Although I used r6, if I was doing it now I'd stick to the one-click version.

I have indeed looked at this as well :-)

Well I have successfully made a gold card and as soon as my hangover recedes to manageable proportions I will crack on and see if I can avoid bricking my phone.

Once again, thanks to everyone, it is nice to join a forum and discover newcomers and noobs being treated so gently ;-)

Guest ace3029

cheers, hopefully i wont need a goldcard as my desire was unbranded from cfw...with unrevoked can any answer what the nandroid option backs up prior to flashing a custom rom? Is it a back up of your current rom? Also believe that rom manager will not flash once unrecked has been used?

Guest Fiouz

unrevoked3 doesn't put a custom ROM on its own: the recovery image is flashed with ClockworkMod which let you dump boot/recovery images, system/data/cache partitions (/dev/mtd/mtd[1-5] actually) or flash a custom ROM if I'm not mistaken (you also get superuser apk/executable installed)

Edited by Fiouz

Guest le_lutin
unrevoked3 doesn't put a custom ROM on its own: the recovery image is flashed with ClockworkMod which let you dump boot/recovery images, system/data/cache partitions (/dev/mtd/mtd[1-5] actually) or flash a custom ROM if I'm not mistaken (you also get superuser apk/executable installed)

Someone posted a guide to the whole process (including custom ROM steps) here:

http://rootmydroid.co.uk/guides/desire/how...our-htc-desire/

Edited by le_lutin

Guest ace3029

Rooted fine, thanks - very easy. But tried to flash this rom 02/Jul r21 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen - Froyo FRF91 which just hangs on the HTC boot screen, had to Nandroid restore?! Prob try another rom!

Guest h0mer_
Rooted fine, thanks - very easy. But tried to flash this rom 02/Jul r21 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen - Froyo FRF91 which just hangs on the HTC boot screen, had to Nandroid restore?! Prob try another rom!

Congrats on getting through the root process. Not far to go now, if you aren't even there :angry:

My first rom flash was similar, when it started it would force close everything. So I rebooted via Rom Manager, performed a wipe of the /system /cache partitions and reflashed and it worked fine when it restarted. Then I had to download and reinstall all my apps again.

I've had to do it that way every time I've flashed, as there is always some amount of force-closing going on if I don't wipe prior to flashing.

And yes, the nandroid backup ability makes for an awesome restore in about 5 minutes if I think it all is simply not worth it. :D

I have never had a phone that actually really felt like it was "mine" before. Now I do.

Great feeling - well done ;)

im avin same prob..seems nobody wants to teach us dummies..iv found a few little gems...video tutorials on goldcards and rooting iv just made my goldcars so heres the links

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-cr.../#comment-33726

from there u can see the 'how to's' and all the roms u need for diff fones...much better for us dummies than these sites for techies

Guest chipstx
Consider also the making of the goldcard, that is part of the riskfreerooting process, however it is probably a significant step in itself.

Here is a recount of my rooting experience that I posted to another forum. A bit long-winded, however that's how I felt the process was after enduring it the first time; as it's no where near as straight-forward as say the 6 easy steps you have suggest it is (I don't want to make it sound difficult or dangerous or anything else, because in hindsight it is easy and straight forward, but you need to employ knowledge that at the start of the process for the first time many people may not be aware that they have :angry: )

It is the trawling through a few dozen threads, particularly the mega-page ones, prior to starting this process where you learn some of the information you will need to know to successfully root phone and flash your desired rom. Some, maybe a lot, of the information may make no sense at the point in time of reading, however when it comes to doing you will recollect what you have read, and know where to find the relevant information you need at the time. Hence making a return on the the investment of time and effort of reading some of these massive threads in the first place.

If you don't do the research initially then you're simply another person posting, 'how do I root my phone, please hand feed me...', and miss so much of the bigger picture. I'm not suggesting the two people posting in this tread are of that category - as they both post some very sensible stuff, and sometimes all what one needs is the reassurance that their understanding of what they have read is sufficient to be able to attempt to root their phone without any dire or obvious consequences.

It certainly makes it easier, as it allows you to use a rom image that isn't named 'update.zip' that the native bootloader will only look for. Also, it allows you to create or restore a nandroid backup at any time. Again, something else that the native bootloader doesn't let you do :D There's also some other more advanced uses it can perform however probably not necessary to be aware of at the moment ;)

sigh ......woah is me I, like others in this thread like to think of myself as not being thick but ......I just couldn't wait till september for the froyo(who named it THAT ????).

anyway for someone who has built more than 1 pc in his time (4 to be exact) installing a new(er) os for his phone can't be that hard can it??????? I did all the right things, I learned about rooting (nothing to do with hair colouring by the way), I learned about goldcards without it even affecting my credit rating I even managed to create said goldcard (I think). so after googling how to root/flash/install rom/ I finally get the balls to have a go.

First one was the r6 alt thing I waited with baited breath, I paced up and down the room like an expectant dad .....nothing. (well I say nothing but what happens is I go to recovery and goto update sd card .and I get a message telling me that it cant verify the signature of the file).

I have tried the r6 version and most of the others all ending in the same way until................I stumble on a fandabi new method by unrevoked, now this is where I need the help of people who, unlike me, really know what they are doing (hopefully)so I try the unrevoked method and at first all seemed to go well, my phone rebooted on cue. I at this point start to get a warm feeling all over ....................................oh how I really thought I was finally going to surf with full 10.1 flash, but alas, It wasn't to be but to get to the point I now have no recovery of any kind, if I try to access the recovery from the bootloader. the phone just reboots to the bootlader again, and again, and again, and again you get the picture, the funny thing is, I still have an os. The phone still boots up to my 2.1 so the quandry is this do I leave well alone and wait for the ota in september or have I missed something out or made a newbie mistake. or or or ......Its now 3 am I am very tired I need some help PLEASE.

Guest h0mer_
sigh ......woah is me I, like others in this thread like to think of myself as not being thick but

Been there! Stick with it a bit more and you'll have it done and dusted too :angry:

Have you managed to root the handset yet, or not? (rooting is a preliminary step to then flashing a custom rom, that appears to be the stage where you are looping at??)

If it still boots to the 2.1, can you download from the market "Rom Manager" and then get into it's recovery manager? It has blue text rather than the white text of the native Android boot and recovery manager.

If you can get to this menu screen you will be able to select a custom rom on the root level of your sdcard and flash the handset with that. Thereby completing the process.

In one of my recent processes I tried to point out that this is a relatively easy process, once you have gone through all the steps. It appears awkward and frustrating getting to the finish line because in some part of the disconnected method of gathering the knowledge to get you to the next step. All the information is out there, finding it and applying it the first time is maybe not that easy. Once you've done it once you'll wonder why it wasn't all so obvious :D

seems nobody wants to teach us dummies..

I don't think that's necessarily true as such. Not many people want to spoon-feed someone who simply posts away without doing some research themselves. The rest of your post here proves that you certainly aren't in that category ;)

iv found a few little gems...video tutorials on goldcards and rooting iv just made my goldcars so heres the links

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-cr.../#comment-33726

from there u can see the 'how to's' and all the roms u need for diff fones...

I recall using that page to make my goldcard, that page and about 4 or 5 others :lol: As I said, even though the information is on there, sometimes it takes it being said in a different way or simply going through the process to understand the fine point or three that I was missing, and consequently not being able to get to the 'next step'.

much better for us dummies than these sites for techies

Read and use them all :D And when you've got a better understanding give that back to someone else looking for a hand-up :( I'm sure there's plenty of people on here, myself included, who a month ago had as much of an idea on how to root a HTC phone as they did of writing the software for a NASA space shuttle.

Guest ace3029
Been there! Stick with it a bit more and you'll have it done and dusted too :angry:

Have you managed to root the handset yet, or not? (rooting is a preliminary step to then flashing a custom rom, that appears to be the stage where you are looping at??)

If it still boots to the 2.1, can you download from the market "Rom Manager" and then get into it's recovery manager? It has blue text rather than the white text of the native Android boot and recovery manager.

If you can get to this menu screen you will be able to select a custom rom on the root level of your sdcard and flash the handset with that. Thereby completing the process.

In one of my recent processes I tried to point out that this is a relatively easy process, once you have gone through all the steps. It appears awkward and frustrating getting to the finish line because in some part of the disconnected method of gathering the knowledge to get you to the next step. All the information is out there, finding it and applying it the first time is maybe not that easy. Once you've done it once you'll wonder why it wasn't all so obvious :D

I don't think that's necessarily true as such. Not many people want to spoon-feed someone who simply posts away without doing some research themselves. The rest of your post here proves that you certainly aren't in that category ;)

I recall using that page to make my goldcard, that page and about 4 or 5 others :lol: As I said, even though the information is on there, sometimes it takes it being said in a different way or simply going through the process to understand the fine point or three that I was missing, and consequently not being able to get to the 'next step'.

Read and use them all :D And when you've got a better understanding give that back to someone else looking for a hand-up :( I'm sure there's plenty of people on here, myself included, who a month ago had as much of an idea on how to root a HTC phone as they did of writing the software for a NASA space shuttle.

Thanks H0mer, problem is with rom manager is that i've rooted via unrevoked3, it has rooted me but when i flash a custom rom the rom after a reboot fails to boot hanging at the white HTC boot img. I've downloaded Rom manager but it wants to flash clockwork mod which has already been flashed using unrevoked3. I cannot find an answer on the net to find out if its safe to allow rom manager to reflash clockwork, would i lose my (life saving) nandroid backup which i did using clockwork recovery which was flashed by unrevoked? I think i should have tried the rickfreerooting method as unrevoked is a little new with not many answers on net yet....:lol:

Guest ace3029
You gentleman are the best,

rooted.jpg

I have never had a phone that actually really felt like it was "mine" before. Now I do.

bhu73, can i ask did you root using unrevoked3 and did you flash that custom rom using the installed clockwork mod in the recovery? My flashed roms will not boot! Thanks :angry:

Guest bhu73
bhu73, can i ask did you root using unrevoked3 and did you flash that custom rom using the installed clockwork mod in the recovery? My flashed roms will not boot! Thanks :angry:

No, i followed the "less simple" but well documented process. So I have a separate gold card which i flashed from with the test-image from "pauls riskless root". (you did remember to do the wipe right?)

I then copied the fake-root update.zip and my froyo.zip and followed the instructions. The only slightly heartbeaty moment was at the first boot when a mystic green icon appears for a while and the boot seems to take a lot longer than normal. After that though it behaves as normal. ( but better :-) )

Guest ace3029
No, i followed the "less simple" but well documented process. So I have a separate gold card which i flashed from with the test-image from "pauls riskless root". (you did remember to do the wipe right?)

I then copied the fake-root update.zip and my froyo.zip and followed the instructions. The only slightly heartbeaty moment was at the first boot when a mystic green icon appears for a while and the boot seems to take a lot longer than normal. After that though it behaves as normal. ( but better :-) )

Ok, thanks, i've used the unrevoked3 method, didnt need the goldcard which rooted fine. I've just installed shadowfrost rom (didnt like it though) and that booted fine but the two modaco (look much better) roms i've tried to boot just hang at the htc boot screen then power off...hmph. I give up for now been on here hours...might have a snooze...cheers

Guest h0mer_
I've downloaded Rom manager but it wants to flash clockwork mod which has already been flashed using unrevoked3. I cannot find an answer on the net to find out if its safe to allow rom manager to reflash clockwork, would i lose my (life saving) nandroid backup which i did using clockwork recovery which was flashed by unrevoked? I think i should have tried the rickfreerooting method as unrevoked is a little new with not many answers on net yet....:angry:

Allowing Rom Manager to download and 'flash' the latest ClockWorkMod recovery file only places a copy of 'update.zip' onto the root of your sdcard. So, as a guess, yes, it should be quite safe to do that. If you're not sure, make a copy on your computer of whatever update.zip is already at the root of your card.

At this stage, where you are backing up files on your sdcard, back-up the folders and files in the directory that nandroid created, "\sdcard\clockworkmod\backup". That should ease your understandable tension about loosing your nandroid backup :D Also, copy the rom that you want to flash to the handset to the root of the sd card, if you haven't already done so.

If you can go so far as the recovery screen after booting, and then hold the volume up button and tap the power button, this should start-up the process that forces the reading and running of the update.zip file. From here you can follow the menus to flash a rom stored on your sd card.

Maybe it will all be clearer after your nap? ;) Hopefully some of that helps, and you get your phone going again. I'd suggest you're a long way from a brick, if that means anything.

***edit

reading your other post, you are aware that the phone can take some time to come back on fully after first flashing. It can quite easily give you the impression nothing is happening, or that it has locked up. Ignore the urge to pull the battery. It probably takes about not quite five minutes for my handset to work through this period, until the sim-code entry screen comes up.

Edited by h0mer_

Guest ace3029
Allowing Rom Manager to download and 'flash' the latest ClockWorkMod recovery file only places a copy of 'update.zip' onto the root of your sdcard. So, as a guess, yes, it should be quite safe to do that. If you're not sure, make a copy on your computer of whatever update.zip is already at the root of your card.

At this stage, where you are backing up files on your sdcard, back-up the folders and files in the directory that nandroid created, "\sdcard\clockworkmod\backup". That should ease your understandable tension about loosing your nandroid backup :angry: Also, copy the rom that you want to flash to the handset to the root of the sd card, if you haven't already done so.

If you can go so far as the recovery screen after booting, and then hold the volume up button and tap the power button, this should start-up the process that forces the reading and running of the update.zip file. From here you can follow the menus to flash a rom stored on your sd card.

Maybe it will all be clearer after your nap? :D Hopefully some of that helps, and you get your phone going again. I'd suggest you're a long way from a brick, if that means anything.

***edit

reading your other post, you are aware that the phone can take some time to come back on fully after first flashing. It can quite easily give you the impression nothing is happening, or that it has locked up. Ignore the urge to pull the battery. It probably takes about not quite five minutes for my handset to work through this period, until the sim-code entry screen comes up.

hi thanks, copied everything to pc, did try rom manager to wipe and install i can install the frost 1.4 rom but not the modaco roms i would like to try. The nandroid backup stayed. When i flashed and tried to boot the froyo modaco rom it hung on white htc screen then appeared to power off then on in a boot loop, does this sound ok then and to leave it for a while? I can always pull the battery and boot into recovery...nandroid is amazing..lifesaver..thanks

Guest ace3029

At this stage, where you are backing up files on your sdcard, back-up the folders and files in the directory that nandroid created, "\sdcard\clockworkmod\backup". That should ease your understandable tension about loosing your nandroid backup :angry: Also, copy the rom that you want to flash to the handset to the root of the sd card, if you haven't already done so.

Maybe it will all be clearer after your nap? :D Hopefully some of that helps, and you get your phone going again. I'd suggest you're a long way from a brick, if that means anything.

***edit

Thanks for help, flashed dj droid pretty good, titanium restored everything perfectly. Leanrt loads in the last week.