MCR r23 Development Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kamasi36
eViL Sense ROM saves the day!

Yeah he laid it out didn't he. If you can live without FM radio his Rom is silky smooth with darkstar a2sd tweaks. 186 mg internal memory with over 100 apps and able to overclock to 1190. Sweet. The only thing I'm having problem with is Facebook pics not showing in contacts after sync, but I can live with that. 720p and 5mp works flawlessly. His Rom is killing all ports of Sense now. IMO. Plus BT is more reliable. Finally a Desire port that works properly with my game m.mafia. I don't know if Modaco can top Evil's latest build. He laid it out. Everyday Rom now. So long Enom and r23.

I couldn't get Evil's running perfectly.. Almost did, last night, but after a while all the apps starter closing after a few seconds. Not even force-closing, I'd just get kicked back to the launcher for no reason. At least there's plenty of space to install apps, unlike Kingxclick's mod... Though I don't like the theme on Evil's.

So far, Paul's Desire builds are the ones that have always been rock stable for me - only thing not working for me on this ROM is the video camera.

So.... it's back to Cyanogen for me!

Maybe I should really just buy a Desire lol

sns.

Guest bpoecell
Yeah he laid it out didn't he. If you can live without FM radio his Rom is silky smooth with darkstar a2sd tweaks. 186 mg internal memory with over 100 apps and able to overclock to 1190. Sweet. The only thing I'm having problem with is Facebook pics not showing in contacts after sync, but I can live with that. 720p and 5mp works flawlessly. His Rom is killing all ports of Sense now. IMO. Plus BT is more reliable. Finally a Desire port that works properly with my game m.mafia. I don't know if Modaco can top Evil's latest build. He laid it out. Everyday Rom now. So long Enom and r23.

Are you talking about his Q&D NXSense rom with the espresso theme? I've played around with it before, but I really miss the stock sense look on it.

Are you talking about his Q&D NXSense rom with the espresso theme? I've played around with it before, but I really miss the stock sense look on it.

In the thread on XDA there's a link to a zipfile you can flash with the origina ltheme...

I tried to flash and killed the ROM.. who knows why.

Either way, they all got their pros and cons... I still think getting a Desire is the best way to get HTC Sense lol

Guest bpoecell
In the thread on XDA there's a link to a zipfile you can flash with the origina ltheme...

Either way, they all got their pros and cons... I still think getting a Desire is the best way to get HTC Sense lol

Yea, it's looking like that's the case. I flashed that zip immediately after I installed and it killed the rom, then I wiped, installed and configured, then installed that zip and it worked. The only problem I still have is the flipclock is black, but I'm sure that can be fixed too.

Guest kamasi36

Agreed. Also that's darktremor, my bad. Yeah it's got some bugs but way more memory thanks to script. Haven't had force close, just the thing with facebook.

Got swype working on here too. 720p works and 5mp if the camera is what's important. I think this Rom is by far the fastest and smoothest of Desire ports minus Facebook HTC sync with contacts.

Edited by kamasi36

Guest bpoecell

After playing with eVil's rom for a couple of hours, I can't get my exchange account to work, and calendar sync doesn't show up at all for my google account. Getting better, but still not there. I'm going back to cyanogenmod 6 rc 3, where everything works.

Guest citronbitare
After playing with eVil's rom for a couple of hours, I can't get my exchange account to work, and calendar sync doesn't show up at all for my google account. Getting better, but still not there. I'm going back to cyanogenmod 6 rc 3, where everything works.

In case you want to give eVil's rom another chance: Just flash this fix in recovery and your problems with exchange and calendar sync will be gone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=1065

Guest adriandyb

I am starting to feel on the side of those complaining about being ignored here and also fed up with sync not working, so I went elsewhere!

I just installed eVil's and it works very well. The FM Radio even works with intersectRavens last kernel that I managed to get before it was pulled - you do loose the video camera though.

It seems these roms are just juggling functions that work or dont work - they look similar and it is hard to tell what has been done to them or what has been changed. Also, why so many problems in getting it all to work together at the same time? Somehow that does not really make sense to me and MUST be harming android's image or peoples perception of it. But then I am probably missing something...

It seems these roms are just juggling functions that work or dont work - they look similar and it is hard to tell what has been done to them or what has been changed. Also, why so many problems in getting it all to work together at the same time? Somehow that does not really make sense to

Because, as Paul discovered long ago, many functions of HTC Sense (fm radio, bluetooth, everything else bundled) have hooks deep in the kernel.

Using the ROM with Nexus ONe kernels, like IR's kernels, will therefore have limits because not all the hooks are there; kernel source was supposed to help, but obviously kernel source is extremely complicated and you can't just directly use the kernel for the Desire on the Nexus One I guess, since they are different phones (even though extremely similar).

That's my understanding of it, anyway. There's no conspiracy to keep us unsatisfied, just real technical hurdles and human limits.

me and MUST be harming android's image or peoples perception of it. But then I am probably missing something...

I doubt it's harming Android's image. Most people don't bother taking one phone's ROM and trying to make it run on another phone...

sns

Guest prgopala
Because, as Paul discovered long ago, many functions of HTC Sense (fm radio, bluetooth, everything else bundled) have hooks deep in the kernel.

Using the ROM with Nexus ONe kernels, like IR's kernels, will therefore have limits because not all the hooks are there; kernel source was supposed to help, but obviously kernel source is extremely complicated and you can't just directly use the kernel for the Desire on the Nexus One I guess, since they are different phones (even though extremely similar).

That's my understanding of it, anyway. There's no conspiracy to keep us unsatisfied, just real technical hurdles and human limits.

I doubt it's harming Android's image. Most people don't bother taking one phone's ROM and trying to make it run on another phone...

sns

i agree... If u have a N1, u can just complain... No one's gonna listen... coz even if you say that N1 and desire are bro's and sis's, they are f*** diff phones...and the e.g. is tat even if the source for desire was released, tat many say (including paul) was the major problem to get BT working, none of these folks have got to a point where BT is pairing w/o any prob... forget A2DP :D lol :D

When these guys get to a point to pair BT successfully w/o juggling discoverable mode i would give a hats off to tat guy...

Odr than tat for all N1 folks get the CM rom or just go back to stock... even non 'sense' is better ;) or better get a Desire... or a DESIRE HD :D

Guest adriandyb

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I think you have very good arguments. Having done programming myself, I truly do understand. It's just that I thought this operating system might be something different with well thought out and shared objects, the hooks "pre-installed" as such? Like a circuit board that is just missing some components but there is a place for them. possibly too simplistic!!

Guest adriandyb

Also, just to be clear, I am not complaining. I love the N1 and enjoy trying to get things like the FM radio working. I think it is great people have the ability to work on the code now, unlike the mobile devices or OS's that have gone in the past.

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I think you have very good arguments. Having done programming myself, I truly do understand. It's just that I thought this operating system might be something different with well thought out and shared objects, the hooks "pre-installed" as such? Like a circuit board that is just missing some components but there is a place for them. possibly too simplistic!!

Nah, I mean what makes an HTC phone an HTC phone? HTC Sense of course, and all their proprietary apps and widgets and UI customizations... So even though the base OS has to be open-sourced doesn't mean that it's easy to port it from one device to another. HTC obviously wants to keep their stuff on their phones, as differentiation. Hence it's problematic.

I'm sure they didn't have all evil reasons to do it, either.. I'm sure it was just easier to do it this way, to build it from the ground up with the proper hooks everywhere, so that it worked flawlessly.

So in the end, again, things are gonna come eventually, whatever it is. And as usual the best way to get HTC Sense is to buy an HTC Sense phone lol.

sns.

Guest linuxluver
Nah, I mean what makes an HTC phone an HTC phone? HTC Sense of course, and all their proprietary apps and widgets and UI customizations... So even though the base OS has to be open-sourced doesn't mean that it's easy to port it from one device to another. HTC obviously wants to keep their stuff on their phones, as differentiation. Hence it's problematic.

I'm sure they didn't have all evil reasons to do it, either.. I'm sure it was just easier to do it this way, to build it from the ground up with the proper hooks everywhere, so that it worked flawlessly.

So in the end, again, things are gonna come eventually, whatever it is. And as usual the best way to get HTC Sense is to buy an HTC Sense phone lol.

sns.

HTC also put Sense on some of their WinMo phones, so they may also want to blur the OS.

Guest linuxluver
i agree... If u have a N1, u can just complain... No one's gonna listen... coz even if you say that N1 and desire are bro's and sis's, they are f*** diff phones...and the e.g. is tat even if the source for desire was released, tat many say (including paul) was the major problem to get BT working, none of these folks have got to a point where BT is pairing w/o any prob... forget A2DP :D lol :D

When these guys get to a point to pair BT successfully w/o juggling discoverable mode i would give a hats off to tat guy...

Odr than tat for all N1 folks get the CM rom or just go back to stock... even non 'sense' is better ;) or better get a Desire... or a DESIRE HD :D

It's funny. I really don't like Sense. It reeks of bloat.

Guest adriandyb

It sounds like a lot of the system is proprietary to HTC? Are those elements not open source - like sense?

I do like the N1 even though it was outdated two days after they started selling it - and I bought mine on day one!!

It IS a lot better than ANY other smart phone I have used. It seems the Desire is something to desire though!

Guest Sylar2010

The problem with Paul is that he feels obliged to buy every possible Android devices in the world and try to do CM for them, his new toy now is the Dell Streak and next week God knows which device he will buy and play with while we are waiting for months here :D

Edited by Sylar2010

Guest Stea1thmode
The problem with Paul is that he feels obliged to buy every possible Android devices in the world and try to do CM for them, his new toy now is the Dell Streak and next week God knows which device he will buy and play with while we are waiting for months here :D

Haha, I sense some resentment there. :D