ODEXing

Guest EddyOS

Guest EddyOS

It seems that having a ROM odexed helps with speed/memory but how do you do it? The new 2.06 ROM isn't odexed and I wanna do it but have NO idea what to do!!

Guest h0mer_
The new 2.06 ROM isn't odexed and I wanna do it but have NO idea what to do!!

Would someone be able to give a 5 second explanation, or a link, to what odexing even is please? Coz I have no idea at all :D

Thank-you :angry:

Guest klutsh
I`ve used this erlier, and it works wery well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

Dont know if its support the new 2.06 or if that has some thing to say...

Dont know if there is easyer method to just odex a rom tho...

This is the only one i`ve used...

The kitchen does a de-odex not a odex.

@EddyOS

I'm just figuring out a nice script to do this, I've got my 2.06 /system/app odex'd, end up with 114Mb free on internal.

Few more bug's exist with the rom though, Froyo's Apps2SD is broke.

Guest EddyOS

Ah, nice one!...still actually running MCR r4 at the mo but wanna know how to do it for future use so I can get into posting up my ROMs for those interested in using what I use. Wanted to give 2.06 a blast if there's more bugs than 2.04 I'll wait for now

Guest klutsh
Ah, nice one!...still actually running MCR r4 at the mo but wanna know how to do it for future use so I can get into posting up my ROMs for those interested in using what I use. Wanted to give 2.06 a blast if there's more bugs than 2.04 I'll wait for now

Actually paul posted a good script, that I found 5 minutes ago: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...r-unodexd-roms/

Guest h0mer_
Would someone be able to give a 5 second explanation, or a link, to what odexing even is please? Coz I have no idea at all :D

Thank-you :angry:

Using the link that klutsh posted I was able to answer my own question ;)

From http://code.google.com/p/smali/wiki/DeodexInstructions if anyone else had been wondering:

General information about odex filesĀ¶

In short, an odex file is an optimized version of a classes.dex file that has optimizations that are device specific. In particular, an odex file has dependencies on every "BOOTCLASSPATH" file that is loaded when it is generated. The odex file is only valid when used with these exact BOOTCLASSPATH files. dalvik enforces this by storing a checksum of each file that the odex file is dependent on, and ensuring that the checksum for each file matches when the odex file is loaded.

The BOOTCLASSPATH is simply a list of the jars/apk from which classes can be loaded, in addition to the main apk/jar that is loaded. A normal android system has 5 jars in it's base BOOTCLASSPATH - core.jar, ext.jar, framework.jar, android.policy.jar and services.jar. These can all be found in /system/framework. However, some apks have dependencies on additional jar or apks files beyond that of the base 5 jars. For example, for applications that use google maps, com.google.android.maps.jar will be appended to the BOOTCLASSPATH for that application's apk.

These odex dependencies make life a bit difficult for a couple of reasons. For one - you can't take an apk+odex file from one system image and run it on another system image (unless the other system image uses the exact same framework files). Another problem is that if you make any changes to any of the BOOTCLASSPATH files, it will invalidate every odex that depends on that file - basically every apk/jar on the device.

Guest EddyOS

Paul (or Klutsh) how do you do it off a device? I wanna odex a ROM before flashing so don't want it on my phone - or do you do it that way and then take off the phone to the PC? I don't get it, lol!

• 2 weeks later...