HTC Desire Antenna Problem?

Guest elminster13

Guest elminster13

I was watching the Apple release tonight and was interested to see Steve Jobs mention that all smartphones suffered from Antenna issues. So, I tried gripping my Desire in different ways to see if I could get a result.

Speculatively, gripping my desire on the top side i.e. where the htc logo is; actually reduces the wifi and mobile internet signal.

It makes no difference to me, as I never grip it like that but thought I'd open the topic.

What does everone else think?

I think, the problem is this. News is so 'flash in the pan' that this is the hot topic of the day and it will be forgotten tomorrow, so it seems to me that this is just another news story gone mad.

Guest Abnormal1

For me, placing my hand at the bottom of the phone will cause the dbm to drop which when at home is enough to loose connection.

Guest Tomdibom

That should happen with almost any device that sends or receives data via electromagnetic waves. Try gripping the antennas of your router for example. The problem with the iPhone is/ was that a short circuit between the outer antennas (may) result in a dramatic decrease of signal strengh. Jobs is right when he states that any other cell phone acts similar. But placing the antennas outside the phone where their effect can be so easily altered is just, well...let's call it not so smart. It's plain physics, and it's not like Jobs hadn't known (Bloomberg).

Guest mariiiuusss

Stop it right there! I never had an antenna issue with HTC Desire and there is no antenna problem, and there will be no antenna problems with such a phone. Only stupid "phones" like the one Apple creates, have such issues.

LE: Jobs is an ignorant and a very stupid man. He does what he and only he believes is good ... he doesn't give a s*** about anyone's else opinion... Another mistake like the iPhone4 and Apple will go down for good!

Edited by mariiiuusss

Guest sonojo
Stop it right there! I never had an antenna issue with HTC Desire and there is no antenna problem, and there will be no antenna problems with such a phone. Only stupid "phones" like the one Apple creates, have such issues.

LE: Jobs is an ignorant and a very stupid man. He does what he and only he believes is good ... he doesn't give a s*** about anyone's else opinion... Another mistake like the iPhone4 and Apple will go down for good!

I agree 100%. There is no problem with desire antenna

Guest masi0
I agree 100%. There is no problem with desire antenna

in most cases i am using bt to speak through but when using the phone i do not hold it different :D i think that what jobs said was just a marketing gibberish to make people believe - although he is a very smart man because people DID believed and will get iphone condoms for free to hold it with :angry:

Guest FatherD

oh dear, oh dear .. the Job's FUD is obviously working ... very sad. the fact is that the iPhone4 suffers a very specific problem because the external antennae loop can be compromised by a typical hand-hold .. NOT the same as other smartphones AT ALL!

If I owned an iPhone4 I would join the class action .. but I don't live in the US .. and would never buy an iPhone .. hmmm :angry:

oh dear, oh dear .. the Job's FUD is obviously working ... very sad. the fact is that the iPhone4 suffers a very specific problem because the external antennae loop can be compromised by a typical hand-hold .. NOT the same as other smartphones AT ALL!

If I owned an iPhone4 I would join the class action .. but I don't live in the US .. and would never buy an iPhone .. hmmm :angry:

Yup, Jobs is just trying to throw people off the scent off the iphone 4 problem by saying it affects all mobiles. :D

I saw the iphone 4 'grip of death' in person recently. The user had to hold the phone on their hand with their palm spread out as if they were holding a plate, or it killed the signal and they had to turn off and back on the wireless to make it work again. However this person was an Apple fan, so even with this issue staring them right in the face they still wouldn't see it as a problem 'because it looks so good'. Impossible to argue the point with someone like that who doesn't even care if their phone can 'phone'! I guess this is probably why El Jobso hasn't had as many complaints as the problem actually warrants...

Guest Mr.r9

I have never asked any forum/moderator to close a topic, but this is going to be a first.

Paul, please close this topic.

P.S: I think Jobs is laughing in an evil and sinister way while he reads topics such as this.

Guest potter97
I have never asked any forum/moderator to close a topic, but this is going to be a first.

Paul, please close this topic.

P.S: I think Jobs is laughing in an evil and sinister way while he reads topics such as this.

HAHAHAHHAH your all crackers the OP was only asking a simple question, And the second post is Totally correct, of course if you hold anything with an antenna the wrong way it will reduce the signal strength a little, but that's just the way it is,

For those of you who are blindly dismissing that reply, i think you should go back to school and do some more science and physics lessons, coupled with electronics. Then you will clearly see this sort of problem will affect everything with an antenna.

But to be fair the design of the Iphone 4 was a FAIL, as holding it like they do there is infact causing an extra short circuit reducing the signal even more that it should.

Also check out WIKI Radio Frequencies as this will let you in the RF world.

And please stop being so dumb, yes we dont have iphones and we dont really like them, but leave you fanboy at the forum DOOR!!!!!!

Edited by potter97

Guest Diggedy
HAHAHAHHAH your all crackers the OP was only asking a simple question, And the second post is Totally correct, of course if you hold anything with an antenna the wrong way it will reduce the signal strength a little, but that's just the way it is,

For those of you who are blindly dismissing that reply, i think you should go back to school and do some more science and physics lessons, coupled with electronics. Then you will clearly see this sort of problem will affect everything with an antenna.

But to be fair the design of the Iphone 4 was a FAIL, as holding it like they do there is infact causing an extra short circuit reducing the signal even more that it should.

Also check out WIKI Radio Frequencies as this will let you in the RF world.

And please stop being so dumb, yes we dont have iphones and we dont really like them, but leave you fanboy at the forum DOOR!!!!!!

this man speaks wise words.

Hell I remember when a mate of mine used to cup his nokia 3330 to make it lose signal mid conversation when his missus rang at work because he couldnt be bothered to talk to her. This is the nature of wireless devices. The iphone problem is a different beast altogether but apple wont go down because of it, some people who bought it probably dont even know the issue is there even if they are experiencing it. I used to own an iphone, it wasnt for me but I dont hate it, in fact if it wasnt for the iphone pushing google and other providers to provide better hardware and software in the hope of building the "iphone killer" then we might not have the phones we have today.

Guest slaguru
this man speaks wise words.

Hell I remember when a mate of mine used to cup his nokia 3330 to make it lose signal mid conversation when his missus rang at work because he couldnt be bothered to talk to her. This is the nature of wireless devices. The iphone problem is a different beast altogether but apple wont go down because of it, some people who bought it probably dont even know the issue is there even if they are experiencing it. I used to own an iphone, it wasnt for me but I dont hate it, in fact if it wasnt for the iphone pushing google and other providers to provide better hardware and software in the hope of building the "iphone killer" then we might not have the phones we have today.

Thanks for the sanity.

I have an iphone 4 and a HTC desire that do different jobs for me and they are both great. Yes I get signal loss on the iP4, but I have a case for it (just like all my other phones and my £400 desire (coz I like to keep them looking new), and with the case I get no issues.

All the people that want Apple to sod off and fail please be happy that this is a HTC Desire forum and concentrate on that.

And as a parting shot for all the anti-applers, consider why you always compare modern phones to the iphone if its so poor. The reason is because the iphone is a great phone that has a whole set of problems, but it is still a great phone. If you have the smartphone without problems then please let me know what it is, as it will obviously be the last phone I buy. After all, if it was perfect then why would I need another.

Thanks for the sanity.

I have an iphone 4 and a HTC desire that do different jobs for me and they are both great. Yes I get signal loss on the iP4, but I have a case for it (just like all my other phones and my £400 desire (coz I like to keep them looking new), and with the case I get no issues.

All the people that want Apple to sod off and fail please be happy that this is a HTC Desire forum and concentrate on that.

And as a parting shot for all the anti-applers, consider why you always compare modern phones to the iphone if its so poor. The reason is because the iphone is a great phone that has a whole set of problems, but it is still a great phone. If you have the smartphone without problems then please let me know what it is, as it will obviously be the last phone I buy. After all, if it was perfect then why would I need another.

whats is it that u do as a profession? i would like to know that because if u can drop over a G for 2 premium smartphones!?!! i would like to know the secret to be able to afford that.

my 2 cents is that people are going all the way against apple not because of the device or mainly because of its failures, but most and foremost because of the arrogance of apple CEO jobs.

the guy is way to arrogant with his speech in the intro of the devices. a bit of humbility and a grain of honesty would bring this apple company way ahead of where it lies now.

I personally dont like apple products nor do I hate them, I just think that they are exorbitantly expensive for a device that is not really doing something more that other devices available.

All I care about is my hard earned money, so throwing a lot of money for something that is just showed out of proportion..... i dont think its something i can do.

Guest poldie
. If you have the smartphone without problems then please let me know what it is, as it will obviously be the last phone I buy. After all, if it was perfect then why would I need another.

Newer, faster hardware? Your old phone starts to look tatty or the design dated? Battery old and failing, and replacements expensive?

I like this: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34473/ipho...-end-call-decal