Can rooting remove simlock??

Guest Rajit

Guest Rajit

im planning on buying a desire on a 6 month contract.. but because i often travel overseas, i use international sims rather than piss away my money on international roaming...

so, my question is... would rooting the new device remove the simlock so that i can insert my own (not actually MY OWN hehe) sims???

Guest neilshoemark
im planning on buying a desire on a 6 month contract.. but because i often travel overseas, i use international sims rather than piss away my money on international roaming...

so, my question is... would rooting the new device remove the simlock so that i can insert my own (not actually MY OWN hehe) sims???

No, you'll need an unlock code

Guest Rajit

ok.. well is there any work around to this?? i also own a liquid and although i havent tried it myself (its already unlocked), a dev at the liquid section said about the liquid and i quote:

"No, but you can remove the simlock with the Acer Tool. The one used to flash 1.100.05.bin, select QCN file checkbox, and select the desimlock.xml floating around. I'll upload it for you. Don't forget to empy the C:\ACER_QCN directory, as it contains the SIM LOCK files in it.

So pretty much, use old acer tool to flash 1.100.05.bin with file to remove sim lock, then use new acer tool to flash 1.100.39"

could something be done on similar lines?? cuz if its possible in one android device, and since we have "complete" access to the phone, why can't it be acheived?

Edited by Rajit

Guest the-fallen

There are some companies that provide you an unlock code (one is also displaying it's advertises in this forum).

But you may also take a look if you can get the phone somewhere else without simlock. I for myself bought mine at T-Mobile (Germany). It was branded, but not simlocked, and it was cheaper than in the shop of the mobile company I use.

But this decision really depends on how much cheaper you will get it in combination with the contract.

Guest bbawden
Not to question anyone's legitimacy, but has anyone had any experience with these unlock codes?? do they work well??

I unlocked my HTC Hero so I could give it to my wife when I upgraded to the Desire. So yes, they do work (for me)

Guest trstn

Who are you buying it from?

o2 (UK) used to sell SIM unlocked phones, definitely up to the n95 coming out (little known fact that), now I've not actually tried any other sims in my o2 Desire but it's worth you testing my theory.