Unable to update since rooting?

Guest ArtyW

Guest ArtyW

Hi, I thought being as I stumbled upon this site a month ago, AND successfully rooting my HTC Desire I would join to thank the author(s) and the researchers for the very useful thread!

I do, however have just 1 problem, I occasionally get a message saying there is an update available for my desire (the filename being OTA_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2-1.15.405.4_release_P4ohim1mtp6zq.zip) but this will not install, once it has downloaded i choose the option to install now, the phone restarts and for a few seconds I get the updating screen, then it comes up with a screen that is similar to the screen when you are told to connect phone to PC for recovery menu but with a red question mark and then the phone just restarts and after says the update cant be installed.

I have even tried to install it through the recovery menu, but it says file verification failed and wont install.

Does anyone know how I can update my device in future while keeping the device rooted please as I cant stand all the rubbish Orange has on the phone, and I dont have any FC's at all when running my mobile rooted.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this has been explained before but there are soo many pages it would take months to see if this has been addressed before!

BTW: I am using a UK HTC Desire :angry:

Guest Kleptomaniac12

If you root your phone you cant install HTC updates. I've heard Orange butchered the desire, I think there is a service for debranding your phone though might want to google it.

Guest ArtyW
If you root your phone you cant install HTC updates. I've heard Orange butchered the desire, I think there is a service for debranding your phone though might want to google it.

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I thought that rooting also debranded my mobile as the Orange crap has all gone, think it was a generic RRU I used, not too sure!

Is there anyway I could get an updated rooted firmware, and also WHEN Froyo finally is released, would I be able to install that or would I have to wait for a hacked version?

I dont want to do much more as its a contract phone, but its insured so if anything goes wrong, I can reflash it or just "accidentally" drop it so the screen cracks or just brick it!

I am also interested in deleting a few system apps, as I am surprised how much un-necessary stuff runs on startup without me opening them!

I guess I will have to read up hard on this!

Thanks again!

Arty.

Edited by ArtyW

Guest kayceejayh

Simple fact of the matter is you'll probably find the latest releases of the Desire software on here.. Paul is well known for using the freshest releases to build his Modaco ROMs, so you'd probably get it WAY before it gets pushed over the air.

Even if an 'official' update did install it'd revoke your root access too.

K