Galaxy S arrives Thursday

Guest Mike Beecham

Guest Andrew Luecke
Mine is arriving tomorrow, Orange UK.

Can some experienced owners give us some super-duper important Day 1 tips?

1) Remember to hold down your finger on a text entry field and change the input method to swype first thing. Don't delay.

2) Actually DO the swype tutorial. Yes I know you find the phone fun, but I wasted 1 day without swype thinking I didn't need it.. But it is AMAZING.

3) To avoid getting constant annoying bings for everything you do, Go to the ringtones, set default notifications ringtone to silent, and manually set a notification tone in places you need it (such as in messaging for SMS, and in talk for IM's). Otherwise every time you get email spam, you'll get the same notification as an sms. It will be too much of a distraction. You can set up Vibration too, to give you some warning of SMS.

4) Got to settings, about phone, usb settings and change to Mass storage mode, or to ask you. Kies is rubbish..

5) Be aware that some custom lockscreens BREAK alarm functionality (such as the ICE one).. However, be aware that the default lockscreen is wayyyy too sensitive. I suggest setting up an unlock pattern. Whilst working, I've sometimes found my phone got unlocked in my pocket.

6) I also turned the brightness on the screen down to the lowest, you'll find the screen is the biggest use of electricity.

7) Don't get overly excited about flashing roms. Some guys here will flash to every new ROM they see and spend so much time trying to get better benchmarks, that they don't realise that any speed benefits are lost because of the time spent. I highly recommend JG1/Modaco R2 for now (using kitchen to stuff available from market, as mentioned in a few posts), and leave it at that, until Froyo or a rom is released with clear, proven benefits.

Because Samsung is most likely working on Froyo at the moment, so expect only minor fixes for the Eclair mods. That being said, you'll know when a new mod has real benefits, because you'll hear about it plastered all over the forums. But thus far, I've found the claims JG5 is faster, awesome GPS, etc to be wrong. That's why i'm running Modaco again. The problem with intermittant issues is that they can be difficult to prove fixed... Obviously, if you are a developer or cooking your own rom's though, messing with rom's is something you SHOULD do.

8) If your HSPA isn't working, check the APN settings, they aren't automagic..

9) Set screen timeout higher. It's current setting is too short and shuts off the screen during some basic tasks. I set mine to 2mins. You can manually lock anyway.

10) The phones are difficult to brick it seems. If you do have an issue, pull the battery and power, and then put it into download mode after immediately after putting battery back in. Has never failed me.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

Guest Kilack

Well I agree with mr Leucke's comments in the most part, you also have to thank the people that do flash every new rom because they are the ones that will report if they are better or not.

Also some people just enjoy trying out new roms and seeing what is new etc, if you have the time, why not, its a good way to learn more about things etc too, it can be frustrating of course.

It seems we have a recovery now so that will make things a lot easier, things go wrong, you just go back to what you had very quickly.

Best thing to do with a new phone is just play, I learn heaps just from reading these forums, best way to keep up to date.

Don't forget to set up the wireless also before you chew through your mobile data :(

update: I'd also install autokiller and set it to aggressive, it has a big impact on speed.

Edited by Kilack

Guest sionyboy

Excellent advice, thanks @Andrew Luecke!

I've played with the Galaxy S in a few stores but could never get Swype working, now I know how!

At the moment I'll steer clear of rooting and roms, think I'll get used to it at stock settings first. Rooted my girlfriend's Hero on the weekend and put a custom rom on, so I'm no stranger to the process, but think I'll just enjoy the phone as it was meant to be for a while first :(

Edited by sionyboy

Guest Kilack
Excellent advice, thanks @Andrew Luecke!

I've played with the Galaxy S in a few stores but could never get Swype working, now I know how!

At the moment I'll steer clear of rooting and roms, think I'll get used to it at stock settings first. Rooted my girlfriend's Hero on the weekend and put a custom rom on, so I'm no stranger to the process, but think I'll just enjoy the phone as it was meant to be for a while first :(

strange choice of words :(, I doubt samsung wanted it to be like this hehe.

Guest sionyboy
strange choice of words :(, I doubt samsung wanted it to be like this hehe.

Heh heh, well we'll see how it goes. I'm worried about these reports of lag/stalling on the OS, pretty sure that shouln't be happening given the hardware inside the phone. Hopefully its something that can be fixed in a simple firmware update, or perhaps FroYo will remedy it. If my phone suffers from it then I'll look into the remedies people have come up with so far.

Would be nice if the modding community can find someway to get a notification light as well, amazed that Samsung left such a simply feature out the phone.

Edited by sionyboy

Guest Kilack
Heh heh, well we'll see how it goes. I'm worried about these reports of lag/stalling on the OS, pretty sure that shouln't be happening given the hardware inside the phone. Hopefully its something that can be fixed in a simple firmware update, or perhaps FroYo will remedy it. If my phone suffers from it then I'll look into the remedies people have come up with so far.

Would be nice if the modding community can find someway to get a notification light as well, amazed that Samsung left such a simply feature out the phone.

Yeah one of the main things i miss from the nexus.. one of those things you dont think about too much until you don't have it.

I'm waiting for the day when an android device gets it all right...its going to happen! :(

but the galaxy is nice, with its flaws of course....

Guest Andrew Luecke

The lag isn't a hardware problem. I'm not sure how other people define it, but I found when a mate was playing with my mobile once, he started video recording, and the interface kind of froze up for a long time and after waiting 10secs, I gave up and shut down the phone to fix it.

You'll find that if you got a branded phone, it's worth getting modaco from kitchen and removing the branded crap (singtel for instance ships with apps that ONLY works on singtel). But if you don't have lots of branded crap on your phone, its possibly less important to do so (because it is genuinely nice out of the box)

Anyway, I learnt a lot by messing with my phone for the first 2 or 3 days, but then soon, it can get tiresome. But I'd say the panic attacks (yep, we've all been there), were worth it

Two more things:

1) Get Appbrain. It's a god. Means if you install another ROM you can sync your old apps back easily.

2) Take the time to PROPERLY organise your google contacts and merge the duplicates into consolidated profiles..

Guest Mike Beecham

All great tips...thanks guys.

Well, it came today and I'm NOT disappointed. The screen is like "hello ladies!!", and I cant believe how nice it is to have a HD video camera that actually works...after having come from a Hero.

I'm going to root it later this evening, but cant wait for a recovery...that'll be nice when it arrives.

Oh, does anyone know where I can get some really decent wallpapers for the Samsung? I know all the sites for my Hero, but obviously the screen size is bigger!

Thanks

Guest demusss
Yeah one of the main things i miss from the nexus.. one of those things you dont think about too much until you don't have it.

I'm waiting for the day when an android device gets it all right...its going to happen! :(

but the galaxy is nice, with its flaws of course....

Get hold of Flash Notify from the market. Its free and flashes the screen on and off for SMSs and Missed Calls

Guest Mike Beecham

Thanks Demusss...very helpful!

I did look into rooting it, but MAN it looks a lot scarier than rooting my Hero...might leave it for now!

Guest sionyboy

Is there a way to stop the phone conneting to mobile networks automatically? I'd like to have control over when it connects to mobile internet or wifi.