Vibrant / Captivate ROM compatibility

Guest PaulOBrien

This is a holding topic for discussion of ROM compatability with the Samsung Vibrant / Captivate devices (Galaxy S variants).

I don't see any major reason why ROMs wouldn't be compatible, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I may look into picking up a Vibrant so I can test future ROM releases on it.

Anyone have anything to add? :angry:

P

Guest }SkOrPn--'
This is a holding topic for discussion of ROM compatability with the Samsung Vibrant / Captivate devices (Galaxy S variants).

I don't see any major reason why ROMs wouldn't be compatible, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I may look into picking up a Vibrant so I can test future ROM releases on it.

Anyone have anything to add? :angry:

P

Yes Id like to add, you have my support for custom ROMS on my Vibrant. lol.. This thing is amazing and I am loving it. Even got her, her own pillow to sleep/charge right next to me. If you can help her understand me better I think we would make a great couple. I just need her to hurry up and do what I ask of her, dont argue with me and give me pleasure when I ask for it. Right now as it stands she seems to always have a headache and well I hope you have some aspirin here soon.

Hope I made you laugh and keep up the great work Paul...

P.S. My name is Rod and I am happy to be here finally. Bye Bye Crackberry... lol

Edited by }SkOrPn--'

Guest J Catral

Paul, that would be awesome to try out some of your custom ROMs for my Vibrant! :D I'm really excited that you're planning on working with the Vibrant. :angry: I can't wait!

Guest jpippin86

Yes i agree with everybody as well. I am looking forward to the custom roms considering i went ahead and leaped early and installed a ROM that i thought worked but apparently it jacks with the radio. I'm a newbie to the android but totally loving it. If somebody could perhaps upload a factory ROM of the samsung captivate and help a brother out it would be appreciated. I found a MoDaCo i9000 Rom and flashed it to my phone. :-( Shouldn't have done that. Now i have a worthless Captivate. Please help a RETARD :-)

Guest evets311
Yes i agree with everybody as well. I am looking forward to the custom roms considering i went ahead and leaped early and installed a ROM that i thought worked but apparently it jacks with the radio. I'm a newbie to the android but totally loving it. If somebody could perhaps upload a factory ROM of the samsung captivate and help a brother out it would be appreciated. I found a MoDaCo i9000 Rom and flashed it to my phone. :-( Shouldn't have done that. Now i have a worthless Captivate. Please help a RETARD :-)

I have a samsung galaxy s vibrant and im on the same boat. My screen is just stuck on the vibrant logo when I reboot. I am still able to go in under flash recovery mode so I dont think im totally screwed am I?

Guest anosis

Anyone have anything to add? :(

P

Paul, don't know if the rom I installed originated from this forum or not, however it was referenced as being the source. Just in case there are any doubts here is the link : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=733755

I also posted my findings in that thread which I will add below. Hopefully this will help you or others with experince in this figure out why the phone calling would not work.

Quoted from XDA thread:

Update #2: Interesting !! In Koush's rom manager you can apply a rom directly from there. No need to boot into recovery and chose the rom from there. So I tried and this time I was greeted with a new homescreen telling me I had success. Now the playtime begins. I'll keep you guys posted.

Update #3: The Vanilla Rom is actually pretty nice. It has more settings options as the stock, like it allows to install unkown market apps without having to edit a DB file on your pc first. Also the Samsung Apps are pretty cool.

BUT, don't waste your time with either of the two because the phone is not functioning. When you try to dial a number it just hangs and stays silent. When I checked the task manager there where two phone apps open and I could only force close one, the other would not. Simply speaking, you can connect to the internet and download apps but you cannot make calls.

Let's see what shows up in the comming weeks. This phone will have a huge following with chefs that will come up with great roms.

Also, huge kudos to Koush's recovery image. It works flawlessly and is simple and straight forward to use. Thanks man!!

Edited by anosis

Guest rafyvitto
Paul, don't know if the rom I installed originated from this forum or not, however it was referenced as being the source. Just in case there are any doubts here is the link : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=733755

I also posted my findings in that thread which I will add below. Hopefully this will help you or others with experince in this figure out why the phone calling would not work.

Quoted from XDA thread:

I flashed the i9000 JM2 rom on my captivate and its working perfectly, dint even flashed the captivates kernel, i did this after a failed i9000 rom(update.zip) i made, the phone dint went into userland, it went up to the S animation after that a black screen and nothing, so i went ahead and flashed the i9000 jm2 rom on it using ODIN3 and its working perfectly fine, except for the battery meeter its not measuring battery % properly.

Edited by rafyvitto

Guest DistortedLoop
except for the battery meeter its not measuring battery % properly.

Deleting the batterystats.bin file might help that. It's in /data/system/batterystats.bin

Guest rafyvitto

It was stated by samsung firmwares that it wont work on the US version of the galaxy S...but i haven't test it my self as of yet.

EDIT: Its official if you flash i9000 JP1 & JP2 Froyo on a captivate/vibrant you wont be able to revert back, it doesn't work properly , Scepterr said so on hes twitter, even tho some users report that they have indeed reverted back to stock after flashing the new froyo release....confusing yes i know ><

Edited by rafyvitto

Guest a3k6g3d
It was stated by samsung firmwares that it wont work on the US version of the galaxy S...but i haven't test it my self as of yet.

EDIT: Its official if you flash i9000 JP1 & JP2 Froyo on a captivate/vibrant you wont be able to revert back, it doesn't work properly , Scepterr said so on hes twitter, even tho some users report that they have indeed reverted back to stock after flashing the new froyo release....confusing yes i know ><

Yeah, I made the mistake of trying that to flash the i9000 rom on my captivate and had huge problems. The only fix i found for it was to reset into download mode and use Odin one click downloader to fix my device! it works now though!!!!!!!!

Guest rafyvitto
Any chance we could get a link to your wallpaper? Thanks :(

Thats the wallpaper pack from the droid x =], you can google it, its everywere :(, id have a link right now sorry mate.

Guest blackerwater

I just got the vibrant and would love a Modaco ROM! Paul we can flash your ROM for the i9000 but its choppy and the volume buttons get reversed and going back to stock is extremely difficult. im waiting for a kernel that works on all galaxy s devices to make all the Roms interchangeable. or you to release a kitchen for the vibrant. we have good progress at xda but id rather trust this source..............

Guest blackerwater
I just got the vibrant and would love a Modaco ROM! Paul we can flash your ROM for the i9000 but its choppy and the volume buttons get reversed and going back to stock is extremely difficult. im waiting for a kernel that works on all galaxy s devices to make all the Roms interchangeable. or you to release a kitchen for the vibrant. we have good progress at xda but id rather trust this source..............

Anything new on this paul. Are you going to be working on getting us a vibrant rom? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blackerwater
Anything new on this paul. Are you going to be working on getting us a vibrant rom? Thanks

Ok sense I wanted to use the modaco rom and had a vibrant I figured out how to do this. I flashed the modaco rom to my phone then the vibrant kernel then the csc file for my config setup and walla it works great. No reversed buttons no lag no problems. I love it paul thanks :huh:

Guest lp1527
Ok sense I wanted to use the modaco rom and had a vibrant I figured out how to do this. I flashed the modaco rom to my phone then the vibrant kernel then the csc file for my config setup and walla it works great. No reversed buttons no lag no problems. I love it paul thanks :huh:

WHOA this is huge-- can you please elaborate??

• 1 month later...
Ok sense I wanted to use the modaco rom and had a vibrant I figured out how to do this. I flashed the modaco rom to my phone then the vibrant kernel then the csc file for my config setup and walla it works great. No reversed buttons no lag no problems. I love it paul thanks :P

Good job. Could you give more info about you did with the CSC file? With regards to the kernel, did you just overwrite the ROM's kernel with the stock kernel using the USB connection??

I've just bought my Galaxy S Vibrant. It's been already unlocked. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether I woould lose the unlock upon flashing the new ROM?

• 4 weeks later...