B7610 ROM Upgrade

Guest DMello

Guest DMello

Dear All,

Yes! Yes! I am new and thus the same questions.. :( Which ROM can I use for my phone and How to Do it?

My Phone details:

Windows: 6.5 Prof CE OS 5.2.21863(Build 21863.5.0.67)

PDA:B7610NXXIK2

CSC:B7610NXEUIK2

Phone:B7610XXIK1

Bluetooth: 2.0+EDR

S/W: 2.0.3

H/W:2.0.1

WiFi: 802.11 b/g

S/W: 1.0.8.8.83

H/W:2.5

thanks in advance

Guest Freezy1982

For all who are new... the same answers :( : Simply choose one from this Threads in B7610

Scroll through the pages and read the belonging ROM thread intently. There are lots of Information about the ROM, free RAM, Version, bugs, removed Apps and so on.

Read THIS too! Here are neccessary Information stored.

First read and search - then ask :(

Guest johnathome

Hi DMello,

This could be interesting - I'm also a newbie :( and I have the exact same phone with the exact same factory ROM and I'm pondering which lite ROM to start playing with.

To be honest, when I initially switched the phone on, my reaction was one of shock, because the Samsung UI is just so horrrible, slow and not very customisable. Hardly any free RAM either. EBay was tempting after the first day.

The second day I ditched the Samsung UI and installed SPB Mobile Shell, which I already had from my previous device. For me, this made the phone about 10 times more useable.

There is so much valuable info here on Modaco and many useful tools - I just don't know where we'd be without these guys. I've already found numerous tricks to make my device more freindly, for which I'm very grateful. I can post back with what I've learned so far if you wish.

Anyway, I've decided simply to use the phone as is for a couple of weeks (it's not that bad?), so I can properly evaluate which features I like and which are a waste of space, otherwise I won't know what to reinstall on top of a lite ROM.

Good luck with your research!

Guest DMello
Hi DMello,

This could be interesting - I'm also a newbie :( and I have the exact same phone with the exact same factory ROM and I'm pondering which lite ROM to start playing with.

To be honest, when I initially switched the phone on, my reaction was one of shock, because the Samsung UI is just so horrrible, slow and not very customisable. Hardly any free RAM either. EBay was tempting after the first day.

The second day I ditched the Samsung UI and installed SPB Mobile Shell, which I already had from my previous device. For me, this made the phone about 10 times more useable.

There is so much valuable info here on Modaco and many useful tools - I just don't know where we'd be without these guys. I've already found numerous tricks to make my device more freindly, for which I'm very grateful. I can post back with what I've learned so far if you wish.

Anyway, I've decided simply to use the phone as is for a couple of weeks (it's not that bad?), so I can properly evaluate which features I like and which are a waste of space, otherwise I won't know what to reinstall on top of a lite ROM.

Good luck with your research!

Dear John.. please do .. I need to disable the Samsung UI and get myself SPB Mobile Shell... can you send me a couple of Tricks you have uncovered..

Thx in advance

Guest boyong

You should try to flash a megalite ROM in order for you to eliminate the Samsung UI. If you like a cool interface, try the HTC Sense. I like it better than SPB Mobile Shell. All the ROM information and flashing it are here. All you have to do is read.

Guest johnathome
Dear John.. please do .. I need to disable the Samsung UI and get myself SPB Mobile Shell... can you send me a couple of Tricks you have uncovered..

Thx in advance

Discoveries:

1: The Camera has a digital zoom function operated by the volume rocker, you won't find that in the manual!

2: On the hardware keyboard, most ALT symbols can be accessed by either pressing and releasing alt and then pressing the key,

or pressing alt and the key simultaneously (like a PC), but the arrow key symbols only respond to pressing alt and the key simultaneously.

Tweaks:

I don't know how long you've had the phone, or how well you understand Windows Mobile,

but if you're prepared to delve into the registry, which I'm guessing you must be if you're

considering flashing a new ROM, there are quite a few changes you can make there.

These are some of my tweaks in no particular order (after ditching the Samsung UI of course).

I won't repeat how to, you will find the instructions for all these in either the B7610 or i8000 sections:

1: Reduce font size in messaging & e-mail app etc. (Windows setting)

2: Replace battery icon on taskbar with clock (registry tweak required).

There are plenty of other ways to check the battery - personally I like ISS Battery Monitor,

which adds a thin strip meter along the top edge of the task bar.

Then whatever program I'm in, I know the time and battery condition.

3: Remap "the button" to something else, like rotate screen (registry tweak required).

4: Enable front camera (registry tweak required).

5: Install "Showcase" close button and task switcher app.

6: Install "O2compass" app, which makes use of various built in hardware:

The magnetometer, that Samsung kept very quiet about for some reason, provides a perfect digital compass.

The accelerometer, provides a spirit level.

The camera flash LED, provides a torch.

Swiss army knife of phones this one - I love it.

Annoying thing yet to be fixed:

Touch Player Library found every media file in "My Storage", including all Copilot Live turn by turn instructions, how stupid is that?

There is a fix out there, but I'm just using Windows Media Player for now.

Impossible to fix:

Samsung chose to map the software and hardware keyboards differently and give them different behaviours!

e.g. ALT symbol for letter A is:

"+" for software, accessed by a long press of the key (brilliant - my opinion)

"!" for hardware, accessed by pressing the alt key - long press just gives you the letter (stupid - my opinion)

Give me another week and I'll be up for flashing a Sense ROM, I guess Mobile Shell is a bit dated now.