Gmail Unread Count

Guest PaulOBrien

gmailunread1.pnggmailunread2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Gmail Unread Count

What they say

Supports multiple accounts.

Tap to launch Gmail.

Does not use polling!

Read homepage for info on how to use custom icons.

What we say

Yet another entry from the 'simple yet so effective' list! This app lets you put a widget on your home screen with a variety of styles available to give you an at a glance view of your unread gmail count. I use the stock post 2.0+ style, which basically makes it look EXACTLY the same as the regular Gmail icon on screen, but with a small number atop it. One of my must haves!

Permissions

GET_ACCOUNTS / com.google.android.gm.permission.READ_GMAIL / com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH / com.google.android.providers.gmail.permission.READ_GMAIL

Download

View Gmail Unread Count at AppBrain

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

gmailunread.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

4.41 (4737 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

There are other similar apps, but this is the best one! Also check out Unread Messaging Count which offers the same features for SMS / MMS, although that annoys me a little as the icon text is a couple of pixels out of alignment. :(

Suggested improvements for the next version

I'd like to see this app do the SMS unread count too, but aside from that, it's great!

Have your say

Fan of Gmail Unread Count? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :(

Guest agriff
I would suggest to use SMS Unread Count instead. It not only gives Gmail unread count but SMS and EMail too.

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...widget-BFq.aspx

I had 3 gadgets installed and replaced all with this one, getting memory back, for free.

SMS unread count is good too, but last I checked it only supported one Gmail account, whereas Gmail unread count supports multiple. Sticking with Gmail unread.

Also FYI, LauncherPro now supports Sms and Gmail unread count labels in its dock bar. No extra apps needed. Built into LP.

This is why 'SMS Unread Count' doesn't work for me atm... the text alignment is fractionally too low (3rd icon on top row, second icon on middle row). OK, so it's overly OCD, but it annoys me. :)

P

smsunreadcountalignment.png

Guest z3ntn3l
This is why 'SMS Unread Count' doesn't work for me atm... the text alignment is fractionally too low

100% true. I noticed this "Problem" some time ago and was quite happy when i saw that LauncherPro supports those Notification-Bubbles too.

Guest artesea

The problem with GMail Unread (which I believe is the 2nd icon) is that the bubble containing the text (Gmail) is just a couple of pixels smaller than regular icons.

Guest Scottland

I also found on 2.2 roms that both Gmail unread count and SMS unread count (for Gmail) only opened the last email received, rather than taking you to the inbox.

Guest n1ck2010
Also worthy of attention: Launcher Pro has this built in for the dock icons. No need for external apps.

How do you enable that? Ive added the launcher pro gmail to the dock icons but it doesnt ever seem to change.

Cheers