USB Problem PLEASE HELP!

Guest rob989_69

Guest rob989_69

My phone has been working fine, up till last night. All of a sudden when I plug it into USB I get an error that there was a device malfunction. Device manager shows and unknown device. This is happening on 3 seperate PC's so appears to be something with the phone. I've tried system restore (on PC) as well as a Clockwork restore and factory reset. Nothing works. I plug in the phone, it recognizes its plugged in, sometimes I get an option to mount, some times I don't. And if I choose any connection type I then get the error in windows.

I've googled and nothing seems to work. Reinstalled drivers, reinstalled USB roots, power drained the PC. Nothing..

Any ideas?

Guest rob989_69
Just checking, you've gone to settings > about phone > usb settings and set it to mass storage? Tried connecting it to Kies?

Yes to both.

Guest squidgyb
Yes to both.

Does it get into Recovery/the "Android at Work" screen? If so, does Odin recognise it when it's on the "Android at Work" and are you able to flash a new ROM?

Guest squidgyb
I can get it into DL mode but it's not seen in windows or by Odin.

If that's on multiple PC's then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. I dunno if there's any way of flashing rom entirely from SD...

tried different USB cables? //clutching at straws

Guest chimerical26

I've been having a similar problem and looking around the internet for solutions has only been depressing I'm afraid. I found my own little work around though. Its not ideal but it might save you from total heart break.

If you Unmount your External Microsd card (Settings - SD Card and Phone Storage) and then open kies and connect the phone with the External Microsd Unmounted it should connect okay (minus the External MicroSD obviously).... (I assume that this will work for Odin as it works for Kies but I haven't tried Odin yet)

When you are finished disconnect the phone as normal and turn it of and turn it on again and the micro sd will be remounted.

If you are hoping to transfer files etc to the microsd then you can just mount it as mass storage and drag and drop under my computer. I have mine set to "Always ask" in the "About Phone - USB Settings" section because it looks like this is a problem I will have to live with for a while. There doesn't seem to be a solution out there.

I'd love to figure this out once and for all. If you want to start comparing software we have in common on our PCs/Phones let me know and maybe we can make some progress but for the moment I'm going to stick with the above workaround...