Enlarging App2sd partition

Hi, I'm running low an disk space with my app2sd MCR5 setup and am wondering if there is a way to enlarge the app-partition without wiping the phone?

Also, I'm rather surprised that I'm actually low on disk space, so I was wondering how I could look up the size of the app-partition and test the correct setup of it? Maybe something went wrong and it's actually the real phone memory that's running low, not the app-partition.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ok, I just found out that my app-partition is 1gb big - can this really be full? Seems a bit implausible... Still don't know how to display the used disk space on that partition - any hints?

Guest kendon

adb shell df -h

or "df -h" in a terminal on your phone. watch for the line that contains /system/sd.

1gb of ext partition equals roughly 1000 apps, so i highly doubt that you filled that up. also i wonder how you would know that the partition is full when you don't even know how to check the status...??? you sure you not confusing the ext partition with the internal storage?

First of all, thank you for you reply!

Yeah, I found that rather implausibel as well. The reason I started this topic is, that my phone tells me it is low on memory and I cannot install apps anymore. That is why I was wondering if the app-partition was full.

Anyway, here are the results of the query:

/system: 145,7/170,0 MB = 86 %

/data: 151,3/165,8B = 91%

Now what to read off the values?

My guess:

First, the internal system memory seems to be 86% filled - which is close to full. What are my possibilites here?

Second, data is 91% full, and the size of that partition is 165,8 MB - I thought the data-partition would be what is moved to the sd-card by a2sd. Am I wrong there? What other than the apps is stored here?

Third, and these are pretty wild guesses, would it be possible to make the space used by /data available to /system and move /data to the sd-card, as it should be?

And one more thing: is it possible navigate through the files system linux/dos-style (cd/ls etc)?

/edit: Just went to the MCR 5 release topic to check which app-to-sdcard version comes with it - now I read "Optional A2SD and A2SD+ (old style) via the online kitchen". Does that mean without the kitchen A2SD is not included in the release? I used the release with additions, as I thought this would have a2sd included.

Edited by Guest

Guest kendon

don't worry about the system partition. it is at the rom creator to make sure the rom fits the partition, and it usually isn't altered unless you flash a rom.

the data partition is your problem. with apps2sd there is still the dalvik-cache left (besides userdata: settings, savegames etc which can't be moved), that doesn't get moved to the sdcard. it takes up some space for every app installed. the kitchen a2sd+ would solve this problem by moving the dalvik-cache to the sdcard. you can also try to wipe it from recovery menu, since the corresponding cache item is not automatically cleared when the app is uninstalled. the first boot after wiping can take a while (depending on the number of apps you have installed 30 mins and more), because the dalvik-cache is then recreated. this might give you a few mb back.

you can navigate through the filesystem perfectly, find out how to use a tool called "adb" from the toolkit (google, theunlockr.com, villainrom wiki etc). this will give you a linux shell on the phone via usb. you can also use terminal apps from the market, typing onscreen isn't too comfortable though.

Again, thanks for the help!

Wiping the dalvik-cache didnt help - still almost full data-partition. Is it possible to add dalvik2sd to my phone without the kitchen?

Furthermore, is there a tool to check how much of each partition of my sd-card is used? I believe my a2sd setup might not be working - after uninstalling a few apps, the used space on /data was reduced (142,2/165,8). Doesn't that mean that /data is still used for my apps?

/edit: I flash dalvik2sd from the villain rom forums and now /data is only 45% full! Woohoo! Thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction :(

Edited by Guest