The right rom for me ?

Guest timekillerj

Guest timekillerj

I know this is a subjective question, but I can narrow it down -

Basically, I'm looking for the newest/least buggy rom that I can use. I have the 8GB Galaxy S (prolly doesn't matter) - I live in the US, on T-Mobile. When I first got the phone it worked great, I applied one of the GPS fixes I found, and it seemed to work ok. I had to factory reset the phone, and since then I have not been able to connect to 3g for data (just edge). Also, the gps never locks now :(. Like at all, 45 minute drive, no lock.

So, I am looking to fix the 3g/gps issues, but also want to upgrade my rom - it came with JF3 loaded. So, should I stick with a JF rom ? is JG5 ok for me to use ? What gives me the most stable/usable phone ?

Also, if anyone knows how to fix my 3g/gps issues without flashing, let me know that too :(

For the record, I have the correct APN info, and have tried several gps fixes, including those listed on this site.

Thanks!

Guest miker71

I'm on JG5 in the UK and the GPS has issues. Everything else seems okay, however I've noticed updating apps that hook into the sound system will lock the phone if you try to use them without rebooting (I've narrowed it down to TapeMachine and Lithuim Player the common theme must be they are talking to the audio subsystem - may affect other apps, or, may not). Rebooting seems so ... Windows95

Guest DistortedLoop

I'm afraid to give advice on the US versions of the phone, since we're getting mixed results reported back on that. I'm in the US (Los Angeles), but have the Singapore-sold i9000 version of the Galaxy S. I am happily using the Euro version of JG5 with mimocan's fix and MinFreeManager on my phone. It has been rock-solid stable and fast as greased for me on my phone.

Warning: do at own risk!

Personally, I'd root my phone if I were you, that appears to be safe for the Vibrant & Captivate. Then I'd install ROM Manager from the Market, and get a nandroid backup of the phone and make sure I had a copy of the file on my computer. Then I'd try flashing JG5 on my phone with Odin. But I don't mind taking chances with my phone and am aware that I could really screw things up.

I'll say again, warning, might brick your phone messing around with ROMs that weren't designed for it, but not likely if you can find an Odin compatible version of your current ROM.

Also, with a nandroid backup in place, in theory, as long as you can get into normal recovery mode on the phone, with the Rom Manager update.zip file in the root of the internal sdcard, you should be able to just use nandroid restore to restore the phone back to the US ROM it came with.

The xda-developers forums has a section specifically for the US variants, you might want to check over there for what people are doing.

I'm anxious to hear how US variant owners are getting on. If they do well with these hacks, the Vibrant or Captivate will be the phone I start recommending to folks for the short term.

Good luck!