Best Backing up method?

Guest r6rr

if i want to backup everything before i start to play arround with roms and firmware changes, whats the best way to do that? is there a way to save an image some point back in time if you will? something like nandroid? i have titanuim backup and backup pro, but as i understand it, its not a really full backup...

Guest Matty Dee
if i want to backup everything before i start to play arround with roms and firmware changes, whats the best way to do that? is there a way to save an image some point back in time if you will? something like nandroid? i have titanuim backup and backup pro, but as i understand it, its not a really full backup...

Yep if you use ClockworkRecovery you can make a full backup of everything which is nice if you change roms and want to go back. Titanium is good for backing up apps and data so when you install a new rom you can have your apps and data back. I do both to be one the safe side

Guest DistortedLoop

Purchase ROM Manager ($3.99) from the Market. It's the Clockwork recovery previously mentioned. It lets you run a nandroid backup on your Galaxy S. Currently it's the only way to do it that I know of.

Titanium's the best, in my opinion for apps and settings backup. If you join here as a Modaco Plus member, you get a free license for Titanium Pro and some other goodies.

Guest jonsat
Purchase ROM Manager ($3.99) from the Market. It's the Clockwork recovery previously mentioned. It lets you run a nandroid backup on your Galaxy S. Currently it's the only way to do it that I know of.

Titanium's the best, in my opinion for apps and settings backup. If you join here as a Modaco Plus member, you get a free license for Titanium Pro and some other goodies.

I don't know why, but Titanium (pro) just won't restore my contacts/sms and homescreen settings. Very strange.

For me is unusable as backup utility, I prefer ROM manager.

Guest Kilack
I don't know why, but Titanium (pro) just won't restore my contacts/sms and homescreen settings. Very strange.

For me is unusable as backup utility, I prefer ROM manager.

I use titanium for apps and their data which works perfectly for me

I don't know if it will restore OS settings like homescreen etc?

There are a lot of apps that backup sms/contacts to gmail etc.

ROM Manager is great but isn't going to help you restore apps if you move to a new rom, great if you want to revert back though :(

They all have their uses..

Guest DistortedLoop

I use Google sync for all my contacts, calendars and stuff, and I use Google Voice for SMS messages, so all that stuff is automatically synced to the cloud and just magically shows up on all of my Android phones that I use. Because of that, I've never noticed what Titanium does with those things - given how well it performs with other apps and phone settings, I'm surprised to hear this. you might want to message the developer with the issue, he's always updating the app.

I have another backup program called MyBackUp Pro which backs up that stuff to the company's servers or your own sdcard, along with other things you select to backup or not.

I've never gone wrong with Titanium for switching ROMs, and nandroid for recovering from disaster.

Guest AndyCr15

Might be a silly question, but what is the difference between the premium and free versions? I can't tell from the descriptions.

Guest DistortedLoop
Might be a silly question, but what is the difference between the premium and free versions? I can't tell from the descriptions.

They're essentially the same. The free version is ad-supported, and you can't turn off the ads displayed in it. The premium version comes with the ad-support turned off, but you can turn ads back on as a way to further support the developer. Other than that, I don't believe there's any difference.

I figure something this important, that makes fooling around with customizing my phone so much safer and hassle-free to go back to a known good configuration if I screw it up, is well worth the price of a Starbucks coffee to keep the developer interested in supporting the app and my i9000.

Koush wouldn't put it out there in a free version if he were only interested in making money off of it, but I always buy a good app if there's a free and paid version.

Guest AndyCr15

I guess I'm used to RA Amon's free recoveries on my N1. $3.99 is also quite an expensive app compared to most others I've paid $0.99 for. If it's almost a donation version, I think he might have priced it a little too high?

I'll use the free for a while and see how I feel about it :(

Guest DistortedLoop
I guess I'm used to RA Amon's free recoveries on my N1. $3.99 is also quite an expensive app compared to most others I've paid $0.99 for. If it's almost a donation version, I think he might have priced it a little too high?

I'll use the free for a while and see how I feel about it :(

Nothing wrong with that. I think any app under $5 is a steal. Rom Mgr has more user friendly function (on other ROMs) than RA Recovery, including GUI access to download ROMs and all that in Android itself. It will come as stuff gets out there for the SGS. But to your point, Cyanogen's got a free ROM manager app for his stuff that's pretty similar.

I guess the way I look at it for some of these leading edge devs is that we all want them to be working on the latest greatest phones that we've updated to. Many of them are college kids...where are they going to get the money to buy the new hardware to test and play with and get the stuff out for us. Throwing a couple of bucks there way is nothing to most of us, but it adds up and helps fund the development of future stuff by these guys.

Edited by DistortedLoop