Idea for an app but I'm too useless to make it

Guest vidler

Guest vidler

Righto, after a good look in the market last night, I can't find anything thats exactly what I'm after. Going to put the idea out there so hopefully some developer picks it up and makes it happen.

Basically its like the 3G watchdog, but instead of just monitoring the 3G usage and giving you a warning when you get close to your data allowance, I'd like an app that i can program with my monthly billing period and data allowance, for example, 28th June - 28th July with 500mb Data. When the 500mb is reached within a billing period, it automatically cuts off the 3G connection to the network, or just changes the APN's. Come the start of the new month it restarts the 3G with another 500mb of usage.

Another handy little feature would be to program it to turn off 3G overnight, when the screen is off etc etc. I know there is a few apps out there like JuiceDefender and APNdroid that do something along those lines, but i can't seem to install them and they look rather complicated.

Just a nice user friendly app to set the billing period, monthly data allowance, auto cut off and 3G off overnight kind of thing

Any thoughts?

Guest jayz_style

If you are on Orange Network then there is an Orange app for that which tells how much data allowance left and when its renewed.

Guest vidler
If you are on Orange Network then there is an Orange app for that which tells how much data allowance left and when its renewed.

I'm with Telstra over in oz, I can log check my usage via their homepage type thing on my phone, but think something that can cut off the 3G automatically would be a handy safeguard for lots of people

Righto, after a good look in the market last night, I can't find anything thats exactly what I'm after. Going to put the idea out there so hopefully some developer picks it up and makes it happen.

Basically its like the 3G watchdog, but instead of just monitoring the 3G usage and giving you a warning when you get close to your data allowance, I'd like an app that i can program with my monthly billing period and data allowance, for example, 28th June - 28th July with 500mb Data. When the 500mb is reached within a billing period, it automatically cuts off the 3G connection to the network...

Netstat does all of that except the auto cut off. You could try asking the developer if s/he'd consider adding such a feature.

Guest vidler

had trouble installing APNdroid last night but tried a couple more times and it worked. Have set it up now. Going to tether it to my computer and start downloading to test the cut off as it gets reset tomorrow