Debranding Telstra Desire A8183

Guest AlkaiserNova

Guest AlkaiserNova

Hey guys,

I have just bought my first Android phone the Telstra HTC Desire A8183, but i cant stand all the Telstra bloatware on the as i am using a Virgin Mobile sim all of it is rather useless to me.

Now i have read plenty of topics here on what and how to debrand the phone but as this is my first time doing it i would like to ask some questions to gain some clarity since i think i may have confused myself by reading so many different ways to do it.

Ok so from what i have gathered i have to do this: -

- Install ADB on my computer

- Ensure USB debugging is enabled on my phone

- Create a gold card using this guide:- http://android.modaco.com/content/general-...ing-a-goldcard/

- Use this guide to root the Desire: - http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...o-1-21-support/

After i have rooted it what are my options with flashing another ROM on it? I would like to just have a Generic HTC Desire Rom on there without all the Telstra stuff, but i am worried that i may choose the wrong one for my phone and brick it! So if anyone could set me up with a direct link for what i need that would be great. Maybe also a guide on how to flash it too?

Also how do i check my hboot version?

Hopefully i will be able to do this tonight!

Just incase here is all my current Software info

- Firmware Version

2.1-update1

- Baseband Version

32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

- Kernel Version

2.6.29-3cb3dfbf

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

- Build Number

1.16.841.1 CL171554 release-keys

- Software Number

- Browser Version

WebKit 3.1

Thank you!

Guest Jamien

No need for that.

Follow this guide: http://myhtcdesire.com/modding/how-to-root...easily-method-2 and you're done!

No need for gold cards :(

Then all you have to do is copy the ZIP of the ROM you want on your device onto your SD card, boot in recovery mode (hold down the back button when you turn it on, then go into fast boot -> recovery) and install from a zip (or install update.zip if you named it that).

Easy and safe!

-edit

I followed the guide above yesterday to successfully root my Telscum branded Desire. After you've installed the custom USB driver, re-install HTC Sync. That way it will be able to find the phone when you plug it in to use Unrevoked.

Edited by Jamien

Guest AlkaiserNova

What do you recommend i flash on there if i want the phone to be as stock as possible? just without the Telstra crap.

Also will flashing the phone with a different rom give me any functionality issues? e.g. problems with WiFi and GPS and proximity sensor...

I've been reading that alot of people have been having problems with those sorts of things.

Sorry to worry so much! Still trying to get the balls to do this! so i just wanna make sure everything will be ok!

Guest danw1million

hi guys, does any one know how to change

the screen which comes up when you first turn on the phone.

phone is a htc desire rooted to froyo.

still have the one remaining image which load first up... saying telstre next g etc. does any one know where it is ?

-Dan