Removing unneeded things from 2.1

Guest gusthy

just a funny result of today: suddenly I realized that my pulse runs 7 apps + keyboard + advanced task killer: gmail, opera, messaging, aep reader, market, a z-machine and droidbox.

I switched the LatinIME.apk from stock to the one from G1 eclair, it seems to be a bit different, but I have to test the difference.

Can You upload the apk? :huh:

I made a dalvik-wipe and reflashed FLB, for this reason it should be a "clean" system while starting to tweak it. I removed sync*, debuggerd, port-bridge, Drm* and SFP (wasn't with flb mod 1.41) and rebooted the phone. I've got about ~17mb free RAM. My processes (values by OSMonitor):

system_server 28M

acore 21M

phone 15M

osmonitor 15M

handcent.nextsms 14M

com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts 13M

K9-Mail 13M

alarmclock 12M

Battery Indicator 12M

Touchpal 12M

zygote 10M

I'm using ADW, Handcent and Touchpal as not stock applications. Are the values by OSMonitor realistic? All synchronization in K-9 Mail is disabled but the process is started with each boot. I can't imagine that it needs about 13M. How about the alarmclock? I haven't configured an alarm but the process is there. I want to know how can I save more RAM. I think it's really less RAM because I removed some things and you are talking about 35M free RAM. Is ADW so hungry or maybe another?

Guest gusthy

@Ellia: you are running a lot of apps.

The free memory measured by me is running nothing but advanced task killer (to measure) and latin ime (or touchpal), since this one must run. without any keyboard my record was 62megs.

but you run handcent,

I made a dalvik-wipe and reflashed FLB, for this reason it should be a "clean" system while starting to tweak it. I removed sync*, debuggerd, port-bridge, Drm* and SFP (wasn't with flb mod 1.41) and rebooted the phone. I've got about ~17mb free RAM. My processes (values by OSMonitor):

system_server 28M

acore 21M

phone 15M

osmonitor 15M

handcent.nextsms 14M

com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts 13M

K9-Mail 13M

alarmclock 12M

Battery Indicator 12M

Touchpal 12M

zygote 10M

I'm using ADW, Handcent and Touchpal as not stock applications. Are the values by OSMonitor realistic? All synchronization in K-9 Mail is disabled but the process is started with each boot. I can't imagine that it needs about 13M. How about the alarmclock? I haven't configured an alarm but the process is there. I want to know how can I save more RAM. I think it's really less RAM because I removed some things and you are talking about 35M free RAM. Is ADW so hungry or maybe another?

Hello!

With reboot start more apps, I don't know why.

After a reboot, the first thing is push a "kill all" in a task manager.

You use ADW, that is more hungry, then the stock launcher.

You use K9. K9 is very attractive mail client, but it have a syncs service. In Android a service run always. When the system or You kill a service, because for example low memory, the system start the service as soon as possible. And the K9 sync service start if You setup auto sync or if you don't s etup :huh: If You use MailDroid, it has not a service yet.

The HandcentSMS, and all status widget, like Battery Indicator has also service, because that service do the watch and refresh functions.

The main thing is, reducation the services from the system, because a service always run and restarts automatically...

Hello!

With reboot start more apps, I don't know why.

After a reboot, the first thing is push a "kill all" in a task manager.

You use ADW, that is more hungry, then the stock launcher.

You use K9. K9 is very attractive mail client, but it have a syncs service. In Android a service run always. When the system or You kill a service, because for example low memory, the system start the service as soon as possible. And the K9 sync service start if You setup auto sync or if you don't s etup :huh: If You use MailDroid, it has not a service yet.

The main thing is, reducation the services from the system, because a service always run and restarts automatically...

I tried MailDroid a try, but Autokiller reports me that MailDroid is a service too. Can you confirm this? Which mail client do you use? I need one which could handle IMAP in a good way (not like the built-in).

Edit: I set of course the synch by MailDroid to never.

Edited by Ellia

Guest gusthy
I tried MailDroid a try, but Autokiller reports me that MailDroid is a service too. Can you confirm this? Which mail client do you use? I need one which could handle IMAP in a good way (not like the built-in).

Edit: I set of course the synch by MailDroid to never.

I don't have any idea, but is it a real problem? The goal isn't to compete on who can make a screenshot of biggest free memory, but to achieve the best result on an existing hardware.

Memory is a resource, everyone uses it to what he/she wants. If, in particular, you want to use it for (among other things) an IMAP client, then do that.

I usually run Nimbuzz, which also eats a bunch of memory, but Pulse multitasks happily.

By the way, my new Autokiller settings are 6/8/10/8/45/45, and this means I can usually run +1 app, and the phone doesnt slow down at all.

No, but I synch my mails manually one time or less a day. And I don't want that a service uses RAM the hole time without needing it. That's the reason.

No, but I synch my mails manually one time or less a day. And I don't want that a service uses RAM the hole time without needing it. That's the reason.

Hello!

I use MailDroid 1.32 beta. When I start it, I see it in running apps in ATK, I see it in "/Main menu/Settings/Applications/Running services" (sorry but I translate this path from hungary :huh: ), and I see it in a terminal, when I start a "ps" or "top" command.

When I kill it with ATK, I do not see anywhere, and do not restart later also.

Guest gusthy

You can do what M31 recommends, or:

there is an app in Market called K-9 Data Killer that - i guess - kills data provider service, or:

you can kill it manually.