Installations on External SD vs Internal SD

Guest acjames

Guest acjames

When I have installed games like Sniper vs Sniper, Homerun Battle 3d and Asphalt. They all have me to download more files but they are always installed on the internal SD instead of the External SD. Is there a way to prevent this?

Guest Kilack
When I have installed games like Sniper vs Sniper, Homerun Battle 3d and Asphalt. They all have me to download more files but they are always installed on the internal SD instead of the External SD. Is there a way to prevent this?

Don't think so as you cant specify where they are installed and the external SD is just mounted as a directory on the internal SD...

Only way would be to move them after and symlink them...

Guest DistortedLoop
Don't think so as you cant specify where they are installed and the external SD is just mounted as a directory on the internal SD...

Only way would be to move them after and symlink them...

That won't work.

FAT32 does not support symlinks.

Guest Kilack
That sux. Hope i dont run out of space....

I doubt you will run out of room, you get 2 gigs for installing apps dont you + sdcard?

A lot of other phones only get a couple of hundred megs?

Edited by Kilack

Guest DistortedLoop
I doubt you will run out of room, you get 2 gigs for installing apps dont you + sdcard?

A lot of other phones only get a couple of hundred megs?

You get 2 gigs for the ROM, which includes all the OS files and firmware stuff, so it's not a full 2 gigs for apps. I don't recall the actual size available for apps and stuff, but haven't we seen a few complaints of running out of space already on the SGS? I think the Market might be involved, and the reason Paul and mimocan included the "market fix" in their hacks.

Still, I think you're correct that the typical user won't run out of space unless they get a lot of BIG apps. Most of us here probably aren't "typical" users though, we're the a-typical user that wants to use custom roms and stuff.

Guest DistortedLoop

It's a minor issue for me, but only because I use The Missing Sync to manage music on my phone, and it insists on putting the music on the internal sdcard (it appears to be hardcoded to put files into the path /sdcard/MarkSpace); this prevents me from using my external sdcard to it's maximum size for my music collections, and frankly that's about all the external card is good for if you can't specify different apps use it as you see fit.

In the end, it's more an issue with app developers not giving the user control over the path than an issue with Android itself of the SGS's implementation of it.

Best suggestion is to contact app devs and request user designated paths as a feature/bug fix.