[FIXED] ROOT Access & OTA Updates

Guest GuyAdams

Guest GuyAdams

So a couple of weeks ago I used Unrevoked to install a custom recovery image and gain root access to my unbranded Desire so I could have a go with the Modaco Custom ROM. In the end I reverted back to the stock ROM but still have the clockworkmod recovery image.

I need to restore the phone to an original state so I can try the official OTA update.

How would I go about this?

Thanks

Edited by GuyAdams

Guest distantstorm

Some stock ROMS here

Also, here

Never had to do it but AFAIK it's just a case of running the appropriate exe in Windows.

So a couple of weeks ago I used Unrevoked to install a custom recovery image and gain root access to my unbranded Desire so I could have a go with the Modaco Custom ROM. In the end I reverted back to the stock ROM but still have the clockworkmod recovery image.

Well I think my phone may need to go back to HTC so I need to restore the phone to an original state.

How would I go about this?

Thanks

Edited by distantstorm

Guest GuyAdams
Some stock ROMS here

Also, here

Never had to do it but AFAIK it's just a case of running the appropriate exe in Windows.

Many thanks for the reply. So just to confirm the only way to remove the custom recovery image is by flashing an RUU update of the original ROM?

Regards

Guest distantstorm

I'm not entirely sure if there are other ways to do it, I've only been on Android a few months but this way will certainly get rid of it and unroot your phone again.

Guest Michelle My Belle
Many thanks for the reply. So just to confirm the only way to remove the custom recovery image is by flashing an RUU update of the original ROM?

Regards

I've used this method safely to unroot and load the RUU (in my case unbranded) back to bog standard 2.1.

As long as you can find the correct RUU - your original firmware, then the phone is back to its original state - good enough to return but make sure you don't have any incriminating update.zip's on your storage card - copy SD contents to PC for backup purposes and erase any incriminating data ;-)

MMB.

Guest GuyAdams
I've used this method safely to unroot and load the RUU (in my case unbranded) back to bog standard 2.1.

As long as you can find the correct RUU - your original firmware, then the phone is back to its original state - good enough to return but make sure you don't have any incriminating update.zip's on your storage card - copy SD contents to PC for backup purposes and erase any incriminating data ;-)

MMB.

OK so I've tried to run the RUU and the phone reboots to install the flash but then hangs at waiting for bootloader? I have a silver HTC logo on screen and nothing happens?

If I unplug the USB cable, the HBOOT screen appears with RUU, if I then plug the USB cable back in it goes back to the silver HTC logo.

I'm not sending the Desire back but I really want to try the OTA FroYo update, it downloads but fails verification check problem because my device is rooted and I have the clockworkmod recovery image.

All the advice I've seen to undo root involves removing the superuser application but it doesnt not appear in my application manager?

Any help or advice at this point is much appreciated.

Guest GuyAdams

Well I've managed to fix it;

I downloaded the RUU from shippedroms, when the update timed out on waiting for bootloader, unplug the USB cable and plug it back in again, then rerun the update.

This installs an unrooted stock ROM which then allows the OTA FroYo update.

Guest FloatingFatMan
Well I've managed to fix it;

I downloaded the RUU from shippedroms, when the update timed out on waiting for bootloader, unplug the USB cable and plug it back in again, then rerun the update.

This installs an unrooted stock ROM which then allows the OTA FroYo update.

Just remember. If you apply the OTA update, you will NOT be able to root your Desire any more.