Task killer not killing apps

Guest 325i

I am running the froyo R5 ROM which has much improved the phone.

One thing I have noticed, on the web browser if I am on a website and then I kill the app. Then if I reload the browser, it goes back to that last site I was on. Before it used to go back to the homepage.

It's the same for the market and tapatalk app. Both go to where I was Before.

It's a froyo feature or can you change it like on 2.1?

Can someone confirm if this occurs on there froyo roms especially modaco r5 please?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Edited by 325i

Guest FatherD
It seems that advanced task killer is not killing the apps. Any idea why or what other task killer i can try?

I love 'Task Panel X' it is easy to configure, has an auto-killer (which I don't use), a very good exclusion list, smart looking 1-click kill icon, smart looking 4x1 widget .. etc etc .. cool app!

I have tried Task Killer Pro and Automatic Task Killer and still same issue.

What ever app i open and then kill it. When i open it again, it goes back to the last screen.

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated. Can someone else who has the Froyo R5 ROM that this does not occur on there desire?

I am running the froyo R5 ROM which has much improved the phone.

One thing I have noticed, on the web browser if I am on a website and then I kill the app. Then if I reload the browser, it goes back to that last site I was on. Before it used to go back to the homepage.

It's the same for the market and tapatalk app. Both go to where I was Before.

It's a froyo feature or can you change it like on 2.1?

Can someone confirm if this occurs on there froyo roms especially modaco r5 please?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Sorry for hijacking a thread, I'm just wondering what a task killer gives us? I'm new to Android but so far I have not experienced any problems that I could imagine a task killer would fix, Iv'e not suffered poor performance or memory errors.

Sorry for hijacking a thread, I'm just wondering what a task killer gives us? I'm new to Android but so far I have not experienced any problems that I could imagine a task killer would fix, Iv'e not suffered poor performance or memory errors.

when using extreme multitasking, navigation apps, (and i dont mean google navigation) like copilot live and others , web browser, photo gallery, keeping on changing settings on htc sense homescreens,, it uses a lot of memory, some apps are cached in the memory(residents) and others are in the foreground and active. if the memory runs low, only some of the foreground apps will be terminated by the system automatically while many others will remain cached in the memory, thereby rendering ur system more laggish to start apps on the long run. people use task killers or task managers in order to terminate apps that are of no use to them in the immediate time, thereby freeing more memory to run other apps easier and decrease unnecessary cpu and battery usage.

Edited by kav

Guest spammyspam

It's all very subjective and isn't just about task killers but the ability to close apps at all.

Those against task killers will say that the system itself knows when to kill inactive apps and recover resources, so they don't need to have been ended.

Those for will say that it takes very little to write an app which is never inactive - like a chat client - which can indefinitely use resources and that explicit ways of ending tasks ARE needed whether by the app itself or externally with a killer.

Personally I'm in the latter category, although I don't run a task killer normally - I just make sure I use well behaved apps with explicit "quit" functions (if relevant). My problem with task killers is that it's often unclear what can or cannot be killed.

It's rare times like these when I envy Apple's way of doing things - you know exactly what's running and when on that platform. Don't get me started on net usage.

regarding the original post,, i have been using android system info and system panel pro. i find these 2 apps very useful to me to monitor my usage of my phone and adjust it accordingly for highest performance all the time.

It's all very subjective and isn't just about task killers but the ability to close apps at all.

Those against task killers will say that the system itself knows when to kill inactive apps and recover resources, so they don't need to have been ended.

Those for will say that it takes very little to write an app which is never inactive - like a chat client - which can indefinitely use resources and that explicit ways of ending tasks ARE needed whether by the app itself or externally with a killer.

Personally I'm in the latter category, although I don't run a task killer normally - I just make sure I use well behaved apps with explicit "quit" functions (if relevant). My problem with task killers is that it's often unclear what can or cannot be killed.

It's rare times like these when I envy Apple's way of doing things - you know exactly what's running and when on that platform. Don't get me started on net usage.

use of a proper task manager will allow u to see exactly what processes are being run , their cpu usage and memory cached and use, including the system processes. but unless u know what u are doing, i would advise not to start killing system processes. some of them can be killed without consequences to the immediate use of the device, some will cause the system to hang, so tread carefully...

Right after experimenting a little, i have discovered the following.

The task killers are killing apps. I have done a test to confirm this.

I have opened many apps and then gone into the menu then RUNNING APPLICATIONS. There it shows me all the opens that i have opened. So i then kill nthem using a task killer and i go back to RUNNING APPLICATIONS. Now these apps are not there so they have been killed.

This "issue" that im having may be standard feature of froyo.

So can anyone open a few apps, use them for a few seconds and then kill them. When you re-open them, do they go to the last page you were on or do they go to app main page.

thanks

Guest Golf60

look for Task manager 2.1.2 in the market. it works brilliant on the r6 Rom, but some task won´t be killed because they are in the rom...

Greetz

Golf60

Thanks, but can you confirm that when you kill the internet app, and then reload it. Does it go to the last page you were on or the home page?

cheers

Guest Golf60

yes, at my desire it is the same with the internet... but you can see the killed app´s when it shows the new memory, also they must be killed...

Thanks, it does show that the apps have been killed and an increase in memory.

But when i was on the R3 2.1 ROM, every app went to its home page when it was killed and then re-opened it.