English Custom ROM to Another Language is Possible

Guest daskalos

Guest daskalos

For those who can't use English Custom ROMs because of it's not your native language

I think turning an English Custom ROM to another language is possible after all...

When I made a i8000 custom ROM, it was in English, but I was surprised when someone is using it with another language...

When I ask how he done it, he said about dumping the CSC and Flashing it back etc.

Anyway he's username is iScream you should ask him...But I remember he did mention that language porting is quite "buggy", though he did not elaborate it...

Here's the proof (I cooked the rom in English but he uses it in another language, below is his screenshot)

screen05p.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Discuss it here :(

Guest Thunder141

that would be great for me. because my native language isn't english but german. Rom's are great but would be better to get them "speaking" german ;-)

Guest ErnstJanF

It's not possible. The startmenu links will be dead as each language uses it's own startmenu location.

If you read the I8000 forum, none has ever cooked a multilanguage ROM.

Guest jappoman

RESPONSE FROM iScream^:

"I just flashed it with selecting the correct(in my case XEH) CSC, and it turned into Hungarian"

So... what does it means ?

I think he has flashed the pda part of one of your custom rom daskalos and the csc from another rom ... but wich rom ?

the story continue :( !

Edited by jappoman

Guest jappoman

Another response from iScream^:

"

ME:

So you have flashed the pda part of the custom rom with a csc from another rom ? Daskalos told me that you says that this procedure has some bugs... wich bugs ?

ISCREAM^:

1: Yes, Daskalos's PDA with JF4 CSC.

2: The Sense and the Windows language files have bugs.

"

so .. what can we do about languages ? continue hoping or give up ? :)

Edited by jappoman

Guest ErnstJanF
Another response from iScream^:

"

ME:

So you have flashed the pda part of the custom rom with a csc from another rom ? Daskalos told me that you says that this procedure has some bugs... wich bugs ?

ISCREAM^:

1: Yes, Daskalos's PDA with JF4 CSC.

2: The Sense and the Windows language files have bugs.

"

so .. what can we do about languages ? continue hoping or give up ? :)

If you flash a CSC over a custom ROM, your ROM will be the official ROM you flashed before :D

Guest shadowangel
If you flash a CSC over a custom ROM, your ROM will be the official ROM you flashed before :)

No it doesn't go back to your official ROM (at least on i8000) - I've done it... what it does is hard reset (with the last rom flashed).

I've managed to change the language of my Windows Mobile (as you can see here on the 6.5.5 build).

What you need to do is get the all xxxx.mui (xxxx being your language number) from the same build you are using (all except shellres.dll.XXXX.mui as these keeps some localized folder information), rename it do 0409.mui, copy it over the windows folder and soft reset (by leaving shellres.dll.0409.mui there will be some parts in english yet)

If you are using HTC messaging, unzip this FIX to any folder and rename the xxxx part with the same number you used above and put those files on \Windows folder (or you won't receive sounds from the incoming sms/mms and other alerts)

Search the net for KenRename... it can be very helpful with this task :D

Edited by shadowangel

Guest jappoman

Hmm interesting but ... I haven't undersand everything ! :) By the way, this can be useful for chefs isn't it ? :D

I've found the mentioned tool, if some chef want to use it, voilĂ :

Ken Rename v0.90beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ELB8HC17

Can be possible to release some kind of software that auto-translate cooked roms with the method discribed ? Or is it possibile to have multilanguage rom by default in this way ? :D If I have understand correctly the first choice is possible, isn't it ? :P

Edited by jappoman

Guest ErnstJanF

Try fetching some MUI files from oneanother, rename the code (e.g. 0409 -> 0413) and replace the file in your /windows/ folder.

@jappoman:

Multilanguage ROM's cannot be cooked. First of all, every kitchen needs initflashfiles.dat, which is different for every language. Second, our devices are pre-programmed to be a kitchen. It uses the internal storage to dump/build the ROM and create it in your language (including initflashfiles)

Edited by ErnstJanF

Guest ErnstJanF
Where are exactly the .mui files ? only in the windows folder or ... everyware ? :)

I don't know, but if you dump a ROM, you'll find OEM_LANG_xxxx which contains multiple language (MUI) files. Copy these to your device and see what it does?

• 2 months later...