problems with Rom Manager

Guest r6rr

im with stock firmware and no Rom installed on my SGS, i've installed RomManager. when i try to backup the current state it gives me a box to choose the name of the backup, it finishes after a few seconeds(which doesnt make sense), and when i go to "Manage an restore backups" option theres no indication that any backup was mads, its blank, what am i doing wrong? where can i see the backup file it creates?

10x.

Guest Kilack
im with stock firmware and no Rom installed on my SGS, i've installed RomManager. when i try to backup the current state it gives me a box to choose the name of the backup, it finishes after a few seconeds(which doesnt make sense), and when i go to "Manage an restore backups" option theres no indication that any backup was mads, its blank, what am i doing wrong? where can i see the backup file it creates?

10x.

Did you flash the clockwork recovery?

Did you flash the clockwork recovery?

what exectlly does the mean? (sorry android newbi)

i thought it ment pressing the "flahh clockwork recovery" option in the menu of the rom manager?

that i did, and chose the galaxy s i9000 no super user request appeared and then went to creat backup option..is that correct?

10x

Guest Kilack

No worries, I am new to the clockwork recovery too though have it working well here.

You don't have a update.zip already on the internal sdcard?

What firmware are you running?

and yeah when you click make a backup of current rom, it should reboot the phone and then load into a recovery menu and start backing up the whole phone and that can take... a few minutes depending on how much data you have,

so you would definitely know.

Edited by Kilack

No worries, I am new to the clockwork recovery too though have it working well here.

You don't have a update.zip already on the internal sdcard?

What firmware are you running?

and yeah when you click make a backup of current rom, it should reboot the phone and then load into a recovery menu and start backing up the whole phone and that can take... a few minutes depending on how much data you have,

so you would definitely know.

i have pda:I9000XWJFB

PHONE: I9000XXJF5

CSC: I9000XXJF5

i have a update1.zip file on my internal sdcard (i've renamed it to update1.zip) but i get no automatic reboot when i press the backup rom option in the rom manager, any thoughts?

Guest DistortedLoop
i have pda:I9000XWJFB

PHONE: I9000XXJF5

CSC: I9000XXJF5

i have a update1.zip file on my internal sdcard (i've renamed it to update1.zip) but i get no automatic reboot when i press the backup rom option in the rom manager, any thoughts?

Why did you rename update.zip? You should only have done that if it is something you put there for another purpose (like the root update.zip).

ROM Mgr places its own update.zip in the root of your sdcard, and it is what actually runs on the reboot to put you into clockwork recovery.

At this point I would make sure there is no update.zip in your INTERNAL sdcard's root. Then in ROM Mgr, select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Follow any instructions it gives you. That should set you up and allow you to make backups. Also, you might want to check and see if after running the flash command that a new update.zip was placed on the internal sdcard. I think some people have said they had to manually reboot into recovery and then run the update.zip manually

Why did you rename update.zip? You should only have done that if it is something you put there for another purpose (like the root update.zip).

ROM Mgr places its own update.zip in the root of your sdcard, and it is what actually runs on the reboot to put you into clockwork recovery.

At this point I would make sure there is no update.zip in your INTERNAL sdcard's root. Then in ROM Mgr, select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Follow any instructions it gives you. That should set you up and allow you to make backups. Also, you might want to check and see if after running the flash command that a new update.zip was placed on the internal sdcard. I think some people have said they had to manually reboot into recovery and then run the update.zip manually

i've renamed the file because like you said, i had an update.zip file that i used to root the SGS, so i've renamed it. after i press the flash recovery is askes me which phone i have, i select i9000 and than nothing special happens, i go to the backup current rom option, it asks for a name i press ok and again nothing happens, there is no creation of a new update.zip file in my internal sdcard root or anything...

basiclly after you press the flash option, and go to backup current rom option the device should restart in recovery mode and then what?

realy weird...

i've renamed the file because like you said, i had an update.zip file that i used to root the SGS, so i've renamed it. after i press the flash recovery is askes me which phone i have, i select i9000 and than nothing special happens, i go to the backup current rom option, it asks for a name i press ok and again nothing happens, there is no creation of a new update.zip file in my internal sdcard root or anything...

basiclly after you press the flash option, and go to backup current rom option the device should restart in recovery mode and then what?

realy weird...

:( never mind, i turned out the Rom Manager didnt have SU premissions, once that was fixed everthing worked ok.

10x anyway.

Guest DistortedLoop
:( never mind, i turned out the Rom Manager didnt have SU premissions, once that was fixed everthing worked ok.

10x anyway.

LOL, I just now read your post on xda about that, and came back here to suggest that, and then see it was you. Glad you figured it out!