Are you using a task killer?

Guest 325i

Guest skinnypupp

When I first switched from WinMo, I ignorantly thought I would need a task killer. Turns out I was wrong, so I don't use one anymore.

Guest skinnypupp
But by not using one, does the list of apps running in the background get bigger and bigger?

No, it would just cache the least used one, if you happen to need more memory. Then when you switch back, it opens it from cache. If you use a task killer instead, it has to restart the whole app, which actually uses even more CPU.

There really is no point to using a task killer with Android.

Guest tommo123

i use one - mainly for browsers and the link. e.g i can't be bothered hitting back on dolphin till it tells me to exit, i just hit home and close the app. it's faster.

i dont do it if i want to resume the session of course.

that, and the fact that i like the option of being able to do this

Guest ciairo

I don't use one, I'm normally fine with the android task management.

Yet I like the applications that expose the close button. I think it's about the psychological need that you get after years of PC usage :(.

To be honest I have another typical PC (windows) habit - and I'm sure I'm not alone - that is periodically resetting the phone, e.g every 1 or 2 days. Indeed, it seems it really helps sometimes, especially for the battery consumption.

So, be it just a psychological feeling or a real need, imho task killers are not really needed in android, but sometimes they are liked.

Guest spammyspam
So, be it just a psychological feeling or a real need, imho task killers are not really needed in android, but sometimes they are liked.

There are plenty of times when a dedicated quit facility makes sense - a chat application, a ftp downloader, a torrent app. These are applications where you want to know exactly when they're running and how - and wouldn't want the system to manage on its own. I just don't see how Android can ever be suited to these kind of apps, unless they conceptually run in a different way - most of which don't.

I'd rather know that my Twitter client isn't updating in the background by quitting it explicitly. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Guest ozmale

Guys,

Have read every post and would like to give a little of my experience, but i am by no means an expert.

1. If task killers are not needed why are there so many available on the "market" ?

2. I was in my local mobile phone shop and was showing a friend a "HTC desire". It was running as slow as anything was like it had a 2 bit cpu in it. Even screen swipe was slow. I (whilst in the shop) downloaded and installed "Advanced task killer" (took ages) and ran it. It appeared that every app on the phone was running. After running ATC, bingo the phone instantly sprang back in to full speed life.

As I say I am no expert but it was a pretty convincing demonstration.

Guest skinnypupp
There are plenty of times when a dedicated quit facility makes sense - a chat application, a ftp downloader, a torrent app. These are applications where you want to know exactly when they're running and how - and wouldn't want the system to manage on its own. I just don't see how Android can ever be suited to these kind of apps, unless they conceptually run in a different way - most of which don't.

I'd rather know that my Twitter client isn't updating in the background by quitting it explicitly. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Twitter syncing is set in the main account sync section. If it is set to sync at all, the app will start up, and sync at the set times. If it's set to disabled, it won't sync automatically, so when you switch windows you don't have to worry about it.

Guys,

Have read every post and would like to give a little of my experience, but i am by no means an expert.

1. If task killers are not needed why are there so many available on the "market" ?

2. I was in my local mobile phone shop and was showing a friend a "HTC desire". It was running as slow as anything was like it had a 2 bit cpu in it. Even screen swipe was slow. I (whilst in the shop) downloaded and installed "Advanced task killer" (took ages) and ran it. It appeared that every app on the phone was running. After running ATC, bingo the phone instantly sprang back in to full speed life.

1) Because a LOT of people are ignorant, as you can see from the poll results here

2) Because there was probably a single piece of s*** software that was causing the whole problem. My friend had an MSN app go haywire on him, it was running full CPU overnight, and his Nexus One was over 60 degrees C! It was almost too hot to touch! Be sure to use reputable software, and there will still be no need for a task killer.

Guest Nemesii
Guys,

If you're using quotation marks around market and HTC Desire to let us know you weren't really on the market and you were using some sort of bootleg facsimile of the HTC Desire, then I'd say that's probably why the phone ran so poorly.

Otherwise, convincing demonstration or not it just isn't how Android works. As skinnypupp mentioned, there was probably a poorly made app on the phone and if there wasn't what you noticed was a placebo effect. The placebo effect and the habitual nature of humans are the two reasons there are so many task killers available on the market too - good developers see it is bad form to close their apps and so they don't put close buttons in, but people expect to require them and notice imagined differences in speed and battery usage and so task killers are born.

A dedicated quit facility isn't even necessary in chat, torrent/ftp client or music streaming device - in those instances all that is needed is the ability to disconnect. Usually they have them too, but people don't realise it and think they need a task killer to stop the app from downloading any more data. People associate closing with stopping everything and disconnect options don't even register - I know from experience as I downloaded a task killer to stop my music streamer for that exact reason.

If you use a lot of beta apps or test your own stuff then I could understand wanting a task killer just for ease of access, but even for someone who has an app crash and hang once a week (which would be a crappy app lol) going into the settings and stopping it in there isn't that much of a problem you'd need to grab a dedicated program.

Guest spammyspam

>It was almost too hot to touch! Be sure to use reputable software, and there will still be no need for a task killer.

But this is exactly the point. How do you know what's reputable?

Rather than get everyone to do a scientific analysis on how a program they've downloaded works and what resources it uses, why not just allow them to quit apps?

It's blatant and classic over-engineering which in certain cases simply doesn't work - be it due to poor coding or just that the job the software is means it can't be managed in this way.

And for the record I don't use a task killer myself, but then I've trained myself to not use my Desire to what I feel to be its fullest potential. It's a silly and limiting way to use a multitasking smart phone imo.

>Twitter syncing is set in the main account sync section. If it is set to sync at all, the app will start up, and sync at the set times. If it's set to disabled, it won't sync automatically, so when you switch windows you don't have to worry about it.

I was talking about a generic twitter (or anything) app, not the built in one. The point is that not every app has been written like Peep, and most probably will never be. But even so, the fact that you may need a certain combination of a variety of options (possibly only found by trial and error) to ensure that a program will be reclaimed just highlights how silly and imprecise relying on the system is. Spread this across 30-40 apps and you begin to see why a quit option/task killer may be necessary.

The closing/running of apps should never be non deterministic. Let's say I have a slow loading webpage which takes around 30 seconds to load. Do I switch to my email in the meantime and risk the browser being reclaimed? And there's been a few times that I've written a tweet and hit "send" via Twidroyd (an otherwise well written and quality application) and switched out, only to realise that the send was cancelled after the context switch - many times I'm left unsure if operations have been completed. The whole thing is daft, especially for the power users Android is aimed at.

Rant over :(

Edited by spammyspam

Guest skinnypupp
>It was almost too hot to touch! Be sure to use reputable software, and there will still be no need for a task killer.

If you have an app that is crashing or causing your device to overheat, either uninstall it, or force close it if you absolutely must use it. Otherwise, if it's properly programmed, you can just ignore it.

Guest Nemesii

Rather than get everyone to do a scientific analysis on how a program they've downloaded works and what resources it uses, why not just allow them to quit apps?

It's blatant and classic over-engineering which in certain cases simply doesn't work - be it due to poor coding or just that the job the software is means it can't be managed in this way.

And for the record I don't use a task killer myself, but then I've trained myself to not use my Desire to what I feel to be its fullest potential. It's a silly and limiting way to use a multitasking smart phone imo.

>Twitter syncing is set in the main account sync section. If it is set to sync at all, the app will start up, and sync at the set times. If it's set to disabled, it won't sync automatically, so when you switch windows you don't have to worry about it.

I was talking about a generic twitter (or anything) app, not the built in one. The point is that not every app has been written like Peep, and most probably will never be. But even so, the fact that you may need a certain combination of a variety of options (possibly only found by trial and error) to ensure that a program will be reclaimed just highlights how silly and imprecise relying on the system is. Spread this across 30-40 apps and you begin to see why a quit option/task killer may be necessary.

The closing/running of apps should never be non deterministic. Let's say I have a slow loading webpage which takes around 30 seconds to load. Do I switch to my email in the meantime and risk the browser being reclaimed? And there's been a few times that I've written a tweet and hit "send" via Twidroyd (an otherwise well written and quality application) and switched out, only to realise that the send was cancelled after the context switch - many times I'm left unsure if operations have been completed. The whole thing is daft, especially for the power users Android is aimed at.

Rant over :(

Do research into the apps you are going to use. If you are the power user you claim to be, who trained to limit the potential of their phone by not using task killers or whatever you are trying to say you should be able to find out whether an app is full of memory leaks and other problems.

And as for switching between web pages and email and going to the home screen while a twitter update is still sending, what apps are you running that dominate your system like that? I thought I had a ridiculous set up with my launcherpro/pureagenda/mariolivewallpaper/rssfeed set up and I still never have problems like that.

Guest Mushhushshu
I have one installed but use it only to kill crashed apps what is not often :(

Android Task Management is very good

I agree with this - I have taskpanel installed but dont have it set up to autostart or kill anything by itself, I also cant remember the last time I hit the "kill all" button - but I leave it installed just to close the odd crashed app, once every few weeks :( Dont think Id miss it too much if I uninstalled it but I have space for it so it'll stay put for now.