Juice Plotter: much better battery life without it!

Guest MarvinFS

Guest MarvinFS

Guys,

Due to i'm not running JuicePlotter any more i got +32% of battery life!

So, for this particular moment the phone is running for 48 hours sharp (2 full days) and still it's 32% left.

Moderate calls, moderate sms very little GPRS, no WiFi.

when the juiceplotter was running the battery usage time was 36 hours with 10% left when i had to connect the charger.

the radio is

32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04

i got signal strength probs with 5.09

Edited by MarvinFS

Guys,

So, for this particular moment the phone is running for 48 hours sharp (2 full days) and still it's 32% left.

when the juiceplotter was running the battery usage time was 36 hours with 10% left when i had to connect the charger.

the radio is

32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04

i got signal strength probs with 5.09

Which Rom do you use? I'm on r5 and on a full charge juiceplotter shows 24 hours only :(

Guest lenik
So, for this particular moment the phone is running for 48 hours sharp (2 full days) and still it's 32% left. Moderate calls, moderate sms very little GPRS, no WiFi. when the juiceplotter was running the battery usage time was 36 hours with 10% left when i had to connect the charger.

i don't think juice plotter is the problem, because with "moderate calls, moderate sms, no WiFi and very little inet" I get about 1 week between charges. juice plotter is running all the time.

Guest MarvinFS
Which Rom do you use? I'm on r5 and on a full charge juiceplotter shows 24 hours only :(

try to uninstall it to see what will happen, i agree it's shows battery usage in a very convenient way, but still if it's the reason of additional battery drain i'll through it right away.

I used r6 kitchen for the latests measurements, yet i did it manually...first 2 days with juice plotter running in background and the last 2 days without.

OH I FORGOT TO SAY!!!!! i have juiceplotter STILL INSTALLED so it's collect service is running all the time, the only thing i didn't start the app itself after reboots to show me the stats...

with the following removed:

News and Weather

voice dialer\search

App Sharing

flickr

friends stream

Footprints

HTC Lock Screen

News / RSS

Peek

Plurk

Stocks

Amazon MP3

Jbed Java

Facebook

WaveSecure

and with the following added:

AdFree i

ASE + Scripts

Development Tools

Spare Parts

Titanium Backup i

WiFi Status Indicator

A2SD (with dalvik still on the phone for some reason i think it'll be faster then on SD card)

Trackpad Wake with Power

also i got battery percentage mode installed. (the only custom mode)

i got about 65 app and games currently installed, all of them were restored using tit. backup donate ver. , although i have to say it's not working correctly with restoring phone settings and contacts\sms stores when changing ROMs types (MCRr6<->DeFrost)

my current phone usage stats for the july are:

9h30m incoming calls

7h30m outgoing calls

285 incoming sms

273 outgoing sms

95MB incoming GPRS data

15MB outgoing GPRS data

Edited by MarvinFS

Guest lenik

Marvin,

please, don't bother fighting with applications, most probably it's pointless.

try *#*#4636#*#* and disable the radio completely, watch the juice plotter.

if you get a flat line -- problem is with the radio. if your battery still plunges

-- only then it might be software (or faulty battery =)

Guest pete.major

Juice Plotter is helpful in determining battery drain factors....

For instance, I can clearly see that at home my phone uses much less battery in standby than at work.

I think it's because of the radio. At home I have a Vodafone Sure Signal (femtocell).

Edited by pete.major

Guest svyat
i don't think juice plotter is the problem, because with "moderate calls, moderate sms, no WiFi and very little inet" I get about 1 week between charges. juice plotter is running all the time.

LOL, maybe if you use 3 batteries, that's true :)

Guest Noonski
Juice Plotter is helpful in determining battery drain factors....

For instance, I can clearly see that at home my phone uses much less battery in standby than at work.

I think it's because of the radio. At home I have a Vodafone Sure Signal (femtocell).

Yeah at home and to work it's doing fine, but at work I see my signal being gone sometimes and i lose around 20 % in 5 hours in which 4 hours syncing is disabled.

(Also only get G in that neighbourhood and HSDPA 500 meters down the road. I whish im could set me preferred Cell in that neighbourhood)

Bad reception is a killer for for battery.

Which reminds me I did forget to set me settings back to GSM Auto PRL preferred.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=688492

Guest DiscoHero
theres now way you get 1 week inbetween charges on a desire. thats a blatant lie

What ROM/Setting are you running with? I lust for battery life. I've had some success with 800mV kernels that pushed battery life into 30+ hrs but no more. 30+ with SetCPU (non-Sense ROM) and 2G/3G micromanagement (3G reception at home [mountains] is spotty at 1-2 bars forcing constant H/3G/G handovers while 2G is full bars all the time. In the city 3G is better so handovers are minimal.)

Can't live without APP2SD (non Froyo) otherwise open to suggestions. Would love to be able to get through two days without overnight charging.

Guest bigdan35

The phone can easily last a week if you're using it for normal day usage. I personally haven't tried it because I'm a heavy user, my phone is barely out of my hands at the moment, with Froyo being announced, ports and now official.. I've been wanting to get my battery lasting longer, but that's a different story.

My friend went on holiday for a week, forgot to bring his charger, had the screen on the lowest setting, wifi and aeroplane mode on, and used the alarm clock once a day and a few texts (just a few). Got home and the batter was at 15%, I was impressed as that wasn't heavy usage and the battery could last such a long time.

It just all depends on how you're using it, I didn't expect (nor should anyone really) to have great battery life on a phone which is power hungry, searching for signal, apps, and especially when playing with it all the time.

We should be grateful that we've got a Desire, and enjoy the Mods which are rolling out, handed to us on a plate.

I suggest if you want to increase your battery life, for a full day, try and stagger how you use it, turn off wi-fi when you're not home, just put internet access on when you're wanting to search for something, don't have the screen on full brightness - though is is annoying as when it's on no brightness you can't see it outside, in the sun, reflections are a killer also.

Dan

Guest spammyspam

I think most people normalise away usage patterns by only measuring loss during standby. For example, overnight (when it's not touched at all) I lose around 10% per hour, which I feel is pretty unacceptable even for a super duper clever Android.

I've now turned data off (which I don't consider "normal usage" for a smartphone of this calibre).

Edited by spammyspam

Guest lenik
What ROM/Setting are you running with?

I use 1.21.405 with small modifications. You may read the whole story here:

http://lazydroid.com/2010/06/juice-plotter/

http://lazydroid.com/2010/06/battery-life-improved/

http://lazydroid.com/2010/06/back-to-1-21-...ry-consumption/

Basically, I've started from stock 1.15, then went to MCR, found really nasty battery drain, reflashed stock image from local provider, battery situation improved, so I took 1.21.405.WWE and modified it according to the settings from local provider ROM until done.

Also, don't forget to turn off Settings->Location->Use Wireless Networks, and REBOOT your phone after that.

Guest BaGRoS
Guys,

when the juiceplotter was running the battery usage time was 36 hours with 10% left when i had to connect the charger

Maybe You things about Juice Defender ??

Guest DiscoHero
Also, don't forget to turn off Settings->Location->Use Wireless Networks, and REBOOT your phone after that.

Thanks. I looked there isn't an operator (Movistar ES) ROM for Desire. There is one for Dream from which operator specific values could be salvaged but only downloadable if you have the phone's serial number so a no go for me.

Do you not use Location services or turn on GPS on adhoc basis? Is it such a drain on the battery? Turned mine off, will see how it fares.

Guest foxmeister
I think most people normalise away usage patterns by only measuring loss during standby. For example, overnight (when it's not touched at all) I lose around 10% per hour, which I feel is pretty unacceptable even for a super duper clever Android.

I think you've got an app somewhere burning through your battery overnight, because I'm probably only losing 1% per hour overnight - with radios on!

Regards,

Dave

Guest spammyspam
I think you've got an app somewhere burning through your battery overnight, because I'm probably only losing 1% per hour overnight - with radios on!

Inc data?