Media Scanning taking ages & a few gripes

Guest fredphoesh

Guest fredphoesh

Hello guys,

There are a few gripes I have with SGS, and this is one of them. Ive had three other phones with ext sd memory, and none took so long to scan, and unfortunately it slows things down considerably when it is scanning... Anyone know how to limit where it scans?

My other pet peeves

1/ marking area in text to copy/paste is very poor compared to phones with a touchpad/ball

2/ calendar keeps defaulting to create new events under My Calendar, which is some crap internal thing which is NOT your google calendar

3/ album art shows in gallery

4/ gmail cant delete one message in a thread

5/ notification sounds should be split into each type, sms, calendar, mms, different email apps etc.

6/ some contacts with many phone numbers show only 2 phone numbers where some show 5 or 6, I cant understand why some do not show.

So here's hoping the final version of Froyo will take care of those!

Mark.

Guest bushrat

add a blank file called ".nomedia" into each folder you want skipped. This will solve your #3 and speed things up a little. This will also stop game sounds and other stuff showing in the music player.

Edited by bushrat

Guest AXIS of Reality

It looks the the media scanner does exactly what it says.

Unlike other Android phones such as HTC's, the Galaxy S appears to do all the stuff like loading album art, sorting music, making thumbnails, etc in the 'media scanning' phase. On my old HTC Hero, it didn't do this and instead I would then have to wait while the music player loaded up all the album art and made the thumbnails the first time after loading new music on it. Same with looking at pictures, it could take forever if I had any decent resolution ones for it to sort it all out once I opened the 'albums' app (as it's known in Sense).

Believe me, it's better doing the indexing this way than stopping to do it all when you want to start using the media.

I would like it to be a bit faster though. Perhaps the final Froyo firmware with its far better speeds might help?

It also might be better once they fix the current I/O bug of the internal memory working abnormally slowly (which is the problem causing the lags / hangs) if it's loading the thumbnails and index info onto its internal memory.

Sadly a lot of the issues you've stated are simply because the current firmware preloaded on the Galaxy S isn't final yet as Samsung rushed to get it on the market before the iPhone 4 (when everyone's contracts would be expiring...).

For #2, I found this annoying also but got into the habit of switching which calendar to make the event on each time I did it.

Guest fredphoesh
add a blank file called ".nomedia" into each folder you want skipped. This will solve your #3 and speed things up a little. This will also stop game sounds and other stuff showing in the music player.

Hi bushrat

tx for the reply...

the problem with that is my library of mp3 folders on my computers all have folder.jpg files to make the cover art compatible with some players, and some have other album art available for display while listening, so removing them manually from each and every folder, each time I have dragged and dropped a bunch of albums to my sd card would be a large irritation as this is somethign I usually do in the morning before commuting to work, where I am rushing about getting ready for work rather than pains-takingly removing jpegs from each folder.

tx for the suggestion anyhow mate,

Mark.

Guest fredphoesh
It looks the the media scanner does exactly what it says.

Unlike other Android phones such as HTC's, the Galaxy S appears to do all the stuff like loading album art, sorting music, making thumbnails, etc in the 'media scanning' phase.

Hi there Axis...

yeah, perhaps its a good thing to some, but I would far rather be able to configure the folders which I want scanned, and have that happen in one or two seconds rather than a complete scan of each sd card every time the phone gets switched on or the sd card gets unmounted.

Also perhaps android should have some sort of intelligent indexing where a sd card will never get scanned unless files are added or removed, so simply mounting and unmounting your sdcard should never result in a scan unless a new file has been added. I suppose this would not work because when mounted, the sd card is being addressed by a computer as external memory and the phone OS has no way of knowing whether a new file has been added (in MTP mode)

Mark.

Guest Vince Scott

thank you for that, i was about to ask the same question.

from looking at aLogCat i could see all the tiles MultiMap had downloaded were being indexed, and it was taking a *long* time.

Cheers.

Guest fredphoesh
thank you for that, i was about to ask the same question.

from looking at aLogCat i could see all the tiles MultiMap had downloaded were being indexed, and it was taking a *long* time.

Cheers.

Hi Vince,

I think it would be useful for that example you give, but for audio folders it would not work because the audio files will be ignored too!

Mark.