Crash-reboots -> RMA

Guest Odroid

Guest Odroid

I thought it would be good to bump this kind of topic, since it took me a long time to realise my HTC Desire had a hardware problem.

In short:

- I had one of the first batch of HTC Desires in the Netherlands. One difference I noticed with Desires from a later batch is that my back-button is much more 'clickable'.

- Excellent performance for a couple of months. Using Google Navigation or Sygic Mobile Maps with Google Listen running in the background. No problem.

- Also when I rooted my phone and started using custom roms with A2SD, I never had any problems.

- After a while, suddenly my phone started crash-rebooting randomly. During navigation, but also playing games and doing simple things like web browsing.

- I tried several other custom roms (2.1 and 2.2), and the stock rom, with and without A2SD, but the problem persisted.

- To be sure I replaced my Class 4 sd-card with a Class 6 card. No change.

- I unrooted my device. Still crash-reboots and also my phone got very hot while charging or using cpu-heavy apps.

On several forums I found threads on this subject. Other people had the same issue, but were unsure if it was a hardware of software problem.

After all my research, I decided to send my Desire back under warranty. Hopefully they won't put Froyo on it and assume this will fix the problem, since I already know it won't.

Has anyone else had the same problems with his Desire and had it repaired?

Guest Odroid
I sent mine off after having the same problems.......been 9 days and counting.

They're telling me it will be 2 to 4 weeks... I hope it won't be that long.

To me it looks like a problem that occurs after having used the device for a certain time. Perhaps a minor bug in the circuitry because of overheating?

I wonder if this problem will be fixed permanently by a motherboard replacement. Could there be an unofficial 2.0-version of the Desire-hardware?

Guest skynet2mainframe

I had the same problem of random reboots so i called my provider (T-mobile) and thay said take it to my local store and to put in for repair under warrenty 3 weeks later i got a message saying it was ready for pickup. since than it has been fine not a reboot in sight touch wood.

Guest kman123

Ive started to notice the same problem.

I have insurance, and want to change the handset and get a new one, does anyone know how i can do this? do i call up tmobile and tell them i want a new handset from insurance, or..?

because its still under warranty, they might try to fix it, but i would prefer a new handset.

any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Myk202020
I sent mine off after having the same problems.......been 9 days and counting.

Finally got my phone back yesterday.

22nd July to 18th August (Carphone Warehouse sent it to HTC on 23rd)........ I say my phone, but actually they just exchanged it for a new one.

All good so far.

Guest peter.taylor
Finally got my phone back yesterday.

22nd July to 18th August (Carphone Warehouse sent it to HTC on 23rd)........ I say my phone, but actually they just exchanged it for a new one.

All good so far.

Mine went back to CPW last saturday (14-8-10), different issue (all calls made or recieved were diverting to speakerphone)

at least i know it could be a while without it :D

i was told 14days ish.

Guest RodeOrm

I could have written this post myself. I have exactly the same problems with random crashes/reboots - when charging, when browsing, when using Sygic Mobile Maps... the phone gets warm very quickly. Have also tried different ROM's and SD-cards.

I too have one of the first factory phones here in Denmark - maybe they initially shipped some with some hardware problems? Anyway, as in your case, the phone worked fine for the first couple of months.

It's very annoying, it's like I don't have a phone anymore!

Does anyone know where I can get a stock ROM with Froyo, to be able to return the phone in a stock factory condition?