iTunes Sync

Guest spammyspam

Guest Mekerz
Anyone tried it yet? Results? Specifically.... does it deal with playcounts/dates okay?

I've heard it needs a new HTC Sync version to work, if you look here there's a new version but it specifically states that it only works with the Wild Fire.

I uninstalled the old HTC Sync because I didn't use it, but don't recall there being a music sync option so my guess is we need to wait for a HTC Desire version of the above HTC Sync that I linked to.

Guest rhedgehog
I've heard it needs a new HTC Sync version to work, if you look here there's a new version but it specifically states that it only works with the Wild Fire.

I uninstalled the old HTC Sync because I didn't use it, but don't recall there being a music sync option so my guess is we need to wait for a HTC Desire version of the above HTC Sync that I linked to.

the one for the wildfire works fine for the desire, i use it myself. much better than the earlier versions.

not tried the iTunes sync as my iTunes library is on a different PC.

Guest distantstorm
How will this work with mac os x?

My desire doesn't show up on my itunes.

It won't. There is no HTC sync software for OSX. The iTunes syncing is not going to be direct syncing - Palm got burned trying that with the Pre. It'll be the HTC sync software syncing selected iTunes playlists no doubt. For OSX solutions will remain Doubletwist, Missing Sync, Salling Media Sync or anything else you are currently using. Sucks I know. I'm firmly of the opinion that Media management software shipping with an OS (ie. iTunes for OSX and WMP for Windows) should have open plugin architecture for devices to sync media with. It shouldn't be necessary to keep your library in multiple applications or use 3rd party intermediaries. But sadly that's situation we are in.

Guest blogger
It shouldn't be necessary to keep your library in multiple applications or use 3rd party intermediaries. But sadly that's situation we are in.

last i checked, all i had to do to "sync" mp3s was to drag and drop them into a folder on my dealxtreme special $7 mp3 player.

anyone still using ovepriced iPaidTooMuchForIt trash and installing over 9000 megabytes of sync bloatware on PC is well,, you figure it out.

Guest spammyspam

There are genuine benefits with using a more smart syncing strategy - for me having playcounts and dates consistent across my pc and portable is vital to how I listen to my music. You don't get these things with file copy.

And you don't need to use iTunes - Media Monkey does a good job of detecting and syncing iPods with smart playlists. What's missing is the device side of things, or a way of allowing non-iPods to be seen as iPods. Judging by how Palm was treated, this isn't an easy thing to do. Ultimately though, nothing beats iTunes+iPods (unfortantely).

Edited by spammyspam

Guest distantstorm
last i checked, all i had to do to "sync" mp3s was to drag and drop them into a folder on my dealxtreme special $7 mp3 player.

anyone still using ovepriced iPaidTooMuchForIt trash and installing over 9000 megabytes of sync bloatware on PC is well,, you figure it out.

Absolutely - but most people will have their media in some sort of library. And given the number of actual iPods out there a lot of them, unfortunately, will use iTunes so that ratings, playcounts, positions in podcasts, whether a podcast is old or new and more are updated. Not to mention photo albums that may get updated on the PC. An actual sync - rather than just a copy. Now say I'm on Windows and have an iPod. I've had to install iTunes to use it and so reluctantly I have all my media in it. I decide I don't want an iPhone. Maybe I look at the new Windows Phone 7 and decide I want to give that a go when it comes out. By all accounts I will need Zune software to even transfer a photo off the phone and I'll also need my other media in the Zune software to sync music back and forth. As simple drag and drop isn't even an option. So I end up maintaining two libraries. That's forgetting for a moment that currently Zune software doesn't even exist for OSX so there is no solution for Mac owners that may want to try a Windows Phone (whether unlikely or not is beside the point).

It's just an example but you can see how frustrating it can be for even a power user, never mind a normal consumer that just wants to get his phone or device home and doesn't understand why he can't just plug it in and go. Although I find maintaining my media fairly easy, I look at friend's computers and everything is a mess, whether it's iTunes, WMP or some bizarre software that their MP3 player has come with. They are never going to manage to use multiple libraries. Hell, when it comes down to it at the consumer level, a lot of them don't even know where their music is. Ask them where on the computer their music is and they'll say "in iTunes". No concept of individual files, never mind tags. The system is set up to lock people in to a manufacturer and I think that stinks when it's software that comes preinstalled with an OS. Anything coming as part of the OS should be open to the extent that all your new device needs is a disk with a plugin.

Yeah, those users are frustrating sometimes but fault lies both ways and I would say the majority with MS/Apple.

Anyway, rant over. I think I've probably taken this way off topic which isn't fair on OP.

Guest spammyspam

Actually this post is part of a much larger question of how I can replace my iPod with my Desire, so it's perfectly relevant.

You might want to look at MediaMonkey - I now use that as "the truth" since it's so easy to get data in and out of its database. It also comes with an iPod plugin which has allowed me to totally deprecate iTunes on my PC. However I still need a genuine iPod for it to talk to since no other device (let alone my Desire) bothers with the metadata I need.

Still, I'm half way there I suppose. I guess what I ultimately need is a decent scrobbler for the Desire and then get MM to parse the log on sync.

Guest distantstorm

I bought a Gold license for MediaMonkey many years ago and yes, I would also thoroughly recommend it to people that haven't tried it. I also liked J. River Media Center, but that may be too featured (bloated?) for many. I believe there is a cut down free version these days though.

Unfortunately for myself, when I bought a new Vista PC when Vista first came out I hated it so much I changed PC into a Hackintosh and now run almost 99.5% of my time in OSX. As such, I've lost MediaMonkey as an option. I keep trying SongBird, although that's been a few months now too. I was pretty disappointed with its podcast support though but it may be an option for some. I'll keep checking in on it now and again.

I don't know how HTC Sync stacks up generally since I'm on OSX but I don't think people should get their hopes up too much about the iTunes sync. It may just be a case of copying playlists over and not include any smart updating of counts etc. However, at least they realise people are quite likely to have their media in iTunes and are trying to cater for that.

Edited by distantstorm

Guest spammyspam

I haven't tried it myself, but it seems it's simply a "read playlist and copy file" kind of sync rather than anything more sophisticated. I'll have to have a play myself at some point to make sure - however either way it might not be an option for me if it means using iTunes again!