Anyway to charge faster on USB connection ?

Guest TboneCam

Guest TboneCam

Hi there,

I have done searched far and wide but haven't found any info on this.

What I want to know is. Is there a way to increase the amount of power that the phone can draw from a USB port on the computer.. I'm running Windows 7 and when I go to "Device Manager" I notice that that the phone is only drawing 98mA from the USB port.. At the moment the phone is the only USB device plugged into the computer. I am led to believe that a USB port can output as much as 500mA.. Is there anyway to change this to get the phone to charge faster ?

Thanks,

Cam

Guest JonnyG165
Hi there,

I have done searched far and wide but haven't found any info on this.

What I want to know is. Is there a way to increase the amount of power that the phone can draw from a USB port on the computer.. I'm running Windows 7 and when I go to "Device Manager" I notice that that the phone is only drawing 98mA from the USB port.. At the moment the phone is the only USB device plugged into the computer. I am led to believe that a USB port can output as much as 500mA.. Is there anyway to change this to get the phone to charge faster ?

Thanks,

Cam

I found that a portable harddrive wasn't getting enough juice to spin up when plugged into certain USB ports on my desktop PC. I would say that the main USB ports on the mobo are likely to be higher power than any on riser cards, etc. Perhaps try a different port?

Guest Shizophren
I found that a portable harddrive wasn't getting enough juice to spin up when plugged into certain USB ports on my desktop PC. I would say that the main USB ports on the mobo are likely to be higher power than any on riser cards, etc. Perhaps try a different port?

I don't think that this is possible. The usb port has a max amount of output power.

As you can see e.g. portable harddrives has up to 2 usb connections. One only for power the other for data connection.

So you wold need a usb cable for you desire with 2 usb plugs...

Guest skinnypupp

Keep in mind that it's the charging of the battery that kills its life span. The slower the charge, the better it is for the battery. Unless you're in a hurry, it is much better to trickle charge it.

Guest bcmobile
Keep in mind that it's the charging of the battery that kills its life span. The slower the charge, the better it is for the battery. Unless you're in a hurry, it is much better to trickle charge it.

The supplied charger is 1 amp. Using a usb "y" cable would give you 2 x 500 milliamps.. or 1 amp. I use a y cable and a mini-to-micro usb adapter. Charging is much faster.

Never heard anyone suggest that fast charge would degrade a nimh or Li-ion battery??

Guest charlie_boy

This is a bit outdated. You are thinking of nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride batteries. The whole battery thing reversed with lithium ion batteries and lithium polymer batteries are even more Hardy. Don't try it and its obviously way outside manufacturers specs, but I would suggest that you can charge your battery very quickly by shorting it accross; say, a car battery for a couple of minutes doing no harm at all. I don't know why the desire doesn't charge at 500mA on a USB. Its had me thinking for a while and it doesn't make sense. I would be interested to hear if a Y cabble helps but I doubt it because if I connect my camera using the same cable it charges at a much higher current so I think the cause is the charging circuit within the desire. I have wondered before if the really cheap charge only micro USB cables will help as I can only assume the desires charge circuit detects the data connectivity.

Guest lenik
I would suggest that you can charge your battery very quickly by shorting it accross; say, a car battery for a couple of minutes doing no harm at all.

very nice method to get yourself killed, or severely burned. google for "lipo explosion" and have fire extinguisher ready nearby.

phone batteries should be handled very precisely, with very small tolerances about charge/discharge currents and voltages.

back on topic, if you want to charge battery faster, just use included AC adapter, it can supply current up to 1A and can recharge the battery in under 2 hours.