PUSH NOTIFICATIONS???

Guest dodolom

Guest dodolom

Hi guys,

Is there any app that would be doing the same thing like the push notifications on iPhone? I've attached an image below, I am sure most of you know what I am talking about. I'd love if my screen would wake up with a notification for anything. Like a new e-mail, sms( I know handcent sms does have this function), breaking news,etc...

Anyways, I'd love to hear if anyone knows any app for this.

thnx

post-719178-1280760823_thumb.jpg

Guest spammyspam

AFAIUI the iPhone only needs push notifications as applications cannot listen in the background. Seeing as Android apps can, it doesn't really need such a mechanism.

Whether the phone wakes up or not is a decision of the developer. As you say Handcent has this option, so your best bet is to ask the developers of the apps you're interested in to put in an option to wake up the device on notifications.

Guest dodolom
AFAIUI the iPhone only needs push notifications as applications cannot listen in the background. Seeing as Android apps can, it doesn't really need such a mechanism.

Whether the phone wakes up or not is a decision of the developer. As you say Handcent has this option, so your best bet is to ask the developers of the apps you're interested in to put in an option to wake up the device on notifications.

ok, i get it.

thnx

Guest PhilA

Google are rolling out a similar mechanism for Froyo called "Android Cloud to Device Messaging Framework". It's not generally available to developers yet, though so it will be a while before we see many apps using it.

Guest dodolom
Google are rolling out a similar mechanism for Froyo called "Android Cloud to Device Messaging Framework". It's not generally available to developers yet, though so it will be a while before we see many apps using it.

sweet. Looking forward to it.

Guest foxmeister

It's not really new - it has always been there, and is how the Google Apps work. All they are doing now is opening it up to 3rd parties.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jared Kuolt

Full disclosure: I work for Urban Airship.

Urban Airship just opened up a public beta of our Android Push Notification service, which supports Android 1.5+.

Hi guys,

Is there any app that would be doing the same thing like the push notifications on iPhone? I've attached an image below, I am sure most of you know what I am talking about. I'd love if my screen would wake up with a notification for anything. Like a new e-mail, sms( I know handcent sms does have this function), breaking news,etc...

Anyways, I'd love to hear if anyone knows any app for this.

thnx