How to root Desire out of box

Guest kevin5059

Guest kevin5059

Hi, i just update my desire from 2.1 to 2.2 yesterday out of the box. Is there any way to root the Desire after the official OTA update?

thank!

Guest Nitrius

To answer your question, no. But there may be a way in the future. Though there have been some talk about downgrading.

But there are rooted 2.2 ROMs out there, based on the official 2.2 update by HTC, but ofc since you have already updated, you can't install those. So if you really want the root ability, it looks like you just have to wait for now until someone figures a way of downgrading or rooting the official 2.2.

Guest Asselberghs
Hi, i just update my desire from 2.1 to 2.2 yesterday out of the box. Is there any way to root the Desire after the official OTA update?

thank!

You can try the unrevoked method, but I don´t know if it will work on Android 2.2 Froyo.

unrevoked method: www.unrevoked.com

Maybe you can find it in their wiki or something if it indeed will work, it´s automated and easy way of rooting, on the other hand you can just take the MoDaCo root method nice and easy and be a bit more sure of the result, but with the risk of making a mistake if you are to quick on your fingers.

I trust Paul & thereby i guess MoDaCo he´s the god/admin around here and the primary master of hacking roms and rooting devices. (I am not trying to ignore nor belittle other peoples work efforts here alright?)

On the other hand I diden´t trust myself not to make some kind of mistake along the way thats why I rooted with unrevoked 3.

But at the time, before I flashed with MoDaCo Android 2.2 costum rom, I was on Android Eclair 2.1 so I can´t tell you what will and will not work based on the Froyo update. My guess is it´s got more to do with physical hardware and what I guess is locked version numbers in the "boot menu" if you can root or not, and not so much the current state of the rom. But I am not a wiz at this, I just follow a guide, trust the writer and hope I succeed.

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest KHShapiro
Hboot=0.75

wow .75 , thats kinda weird. maybe the 2.2 ota went back to .75 .... either way with .75 i think tere is a god chance you ca still root.. the Android gd might be smiling on you.

what kernal do you have?

Guest kevin5059
And exactly what kernal version do you have?

Sorry guys, it used to be 0.75 when it was running on 2.1. I didn't check it again after the update i thought it gonna be the same and obviously I'm wrong.

After the update,

Hboot=0.92.001

Radio=5.09.00.20

Baseband version= 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

Kernel version= 2.6.32.15-fg9c0527 (htc-kernel@and18-2 #1)

Build Number= 2.09.405.8 CL218634 release-keys

Software Number= 2.09.405.8

Browser version=WEbKit 3.1