i920 Owners Read This.

Guest fire3element

Guest fire3element

Well I spent another 1hr and 10min on the phone with Samsung today. I was not able to get in contact with the lady from the first call. The guy I talked to today was a little more tech savvy. He went over the spec sheet of the phone with me. From what he explained ( and he was not 100% for sure ), the phone's physical memory is split up into 2 parts. One part has like 64mb of RAM and X amount of ROM and the other part has 144mb RAM and X ROM. Now those 2 numbers combined = 208mb RAM which is displayed on Verizon's site.

He was not completely sure of how the i920's memory allocation works, but assured me that is what the spec sheet called for. I explained to him that 208mb of RAM is not possible. The actual phone's memory chip is probably 256mb and then part is allocated for graphics, camera, and what not. He agreed. I also brought up the point that going from 256mb to 148mb in allocations is a HUGE jump. He agreed.

Then we get into the "Who dun it?" phase. The guy told me that the phone carrier controls specs and software aspects of each new developed phone. So basically the phone is "made to order". To an extent this can be true, however I do not think that anyone at Verizon is capable of making the software decisions that cripple this phone. Now by that I mean the lack of OpenGL 1.0 support and the non-supported FPU core. I that respect, I do not believe that Verizon has anyone inteligent enough to say leave that stuff out. It is more likely that the phone manufacture takes advantage of Verizon's Idiots. I hope that I am not wrong on that account. I just can not imagine that Verizon would knowingly cripple their phone and piss off customers.

So I really did not make any progress today other than to let Samsung know that I am no going away. The guy said that he would email R&D again and hope for an answer.

I made this phone call at 8:30am. I requested to speak with the lady from before, but she was not in yet. I told the guy to put a note on her desk to call me before days end. At 4:30pm I still had not received a call. So I called again requesting to speak with that lady. Again she was not at her desk. The guy I spoke with this time knew who she was, and told me that he would put a sticky on her desk to call me before they closed for the night. It is now 8:30 and still no call. This is getting old.

Now, the reason I would like for everyone to save Verizon's spec page for the i920 is because the guy from the call this morning said that Samsung was going to contact Verizon regarding the wrong info on the website. No if this comes down to False Advertisement and Verizon decides to pull the page, then we are going to need all the proof we can get. Save it on as many computers as you possibly can.

Also while you are at it, save the i920 spec page from Samsung's site too.

Thank you for listening. I hope to have an update soon.

Guest fire3element

Yeah if you are using Firefox, there is a "Save Page AS" in the File tab at the top of the browser. Save it as a file to a safe location in your computer.

OK Update: I just checked my email again, and the lady responded (although it was not the phone call I requested). She says that she has not received any info back from R&D. So in all fairness, she did what she said she would do. Now I guess we wait...

Edited by fire3element

Guest livebig

I think Verizon is BUSTED! [see why below]

Nice work fire3element! OK, so I printed the Verizon webpage and then proceeded to the Samsung website and noticed that their website now shows the i920 has having 104 MB (Main) + 8GB (Internal user).

[http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/...il&tab=spec]

Now granted it has been MANY months since I last visted the Samsung site (last fall) when I was shopping for the i920, but I'm PRETTY sure it was NOT listed as 104 MB or I would have called B.S. the first few months I was calling Verizon due to apps crashing because of low RAM.

SO, thanks to the good advice and with what I've printed out, I'm going into my local Verizon store with the Verizon page that says 208 MB and the Samsung page that says 104 MB and see about getting a better phone.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love this phone with some of the great ROMs out there, BUT almost EVERY headache I've had (and still have) with this phone is due to the LOW amount of RAM!!

I'll let you know how it goes in the next day or two.

Edited by livebig

I think Verizon is BUSTED!

This is all well and good for you guys in America. But what about us that bought our i8000's on eBay? :)

Impossible, BUT it would be great if Samsung stepped in here and offered an upgrade or something similiar.

Guest fire3element

Thank you Snow02. That is the same question I was about to ask.

I could swear that back when the phone released that the samsung website said the Omnia 2 had 256mb of RAM.

This is quickly getting into lawsuit territory. I wish Samsung would just step up to the plate and take care of the problem. I called Verizon last night and informed someone from the highest level of tech support. He advised me to get in contact with Verizon Corporate. I am going to try and call them today if I have time.

Let you guys know if I find out anything.

Guest rpmm70
Thank you Snow02. That is the same question I was about to ask.

I could swear that back when the phone released that the samsung website said the Omnia 2 had 256mb of RAM.

This is quickly getting into lawsuit territory. I wish Samsung would just step up to the plate and take care of the problem. I called Verizon last night and informed someone from the highest level of tech support. He advised me to get in contact with Verizon Corporate. I am going to try and call them today if I have time.

Let you guys know if I find out anything.

Good luck dealing with Corporate. Hopefully you don't have to spend hours explaining what RAM is to them.

Guest livebig
LoL @ rpmm70

Ok I contacted corporate today, but I don't have time to give details. I will update my post later tonight.

I can't wait to hear how your day went. Mine.... I was on the phone for 4.5 hours talking to Samsung support (level1, 2, & 3) and Verizon customer service (actually, I spoke to VZ support last night too).

Well... it sucked. The L1 & L2 support @ samsung didn't know the difference between RAM and Flash memory. Thankfully I had better luck with L3 support. However, we now have a new kink in things. Samsung's support ultimately wasn't clear on how much memory the phone has... but as the L3 rep said, either way, it's less than the 208MB Verizon advertised. Samsung has 2 numbers... 104MB that we are all now aware of, but there is another page that states (64MB phone + 64MB PDA).

[64MB RAM] - http://www.samsung.com/us/function/espsear...keyword=221317#

[104MB RAM] - http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/...il&tab=spec

I'm sticking with the 104MB spec when I speak with Verizon for simplicity sake [if you throw 2 numbers at them they obviously blame Samsung]. After speaking to 3 support/tech support reps @ Verizon, the only thing they would offer me was the opportunity to buy a certified pre-owned phone. HOW is that right? Verizon LIED to us by falsely advertising one thing and sold us something different (which I think is illegal)... and now they want me to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a used phone?? That is just WRONG! :D

Things went down hill with the last Verizon supervisor I spoke to (Melissa #2317) - She was VERY rude... AWEFUL... She thinks asking me to pay a couple hundred bucks for a used phone is a good offering. She also thinks I need to bring this up to Samsung because it is there fault.... they only advertise what samsung told them (which she couldn't prove). I explained to her that I spoke with L3 support @ samsung and all 3 levels of support were adamant that the i920 does NOT have 208MB of RAM. The Verizon supervisor thought it was unacceptable that I was wanting a credit for my phone 8 months after I got the phone. I told her it is because I just now found out I was LIED to. I did call in with issues within the first 30 days... but sucked it up because I kept getting the runaround and didn't truly understand the scope of the problem until it was too late... but now that I know I was LIED to... I'm PISSED! :D

Oh... BTW. I told the reps I spoke to (when they offered a pre-owned phone) that I want something with Swype and TV out so I have a feature-compatible phone... Well, the only available phone Verizon sells would be the DROID X, which they don't have any pre-owned.

According to this 'floor supervisor' [Melissa #2317], there is nothing else she can do. I will have to wait 48 hrs for a callback from a supervisor :)

To everyone reading this post... PLEASE take time out of your day to make a stink with Verizon. Not that I think anyone else should endure a dandy like Melissa #2317... but perhaps it would be good to throw some weight in a single direction instead of 10 separate supervisors hearing a single complaint. Perhaps if fire3element has a better rep for us to speak too we can all go that route, but I think it is best for a supervisor to get multiple complains because I'm tired of hearing that they've never heard of any issues with this phone!

fire3element... I'm intrigued to hear how your call with corporate went today. That is what I wanted to do... since the phone # wasn't listed on their contact page I called support to get a hold of someone in corporate and then got sucked into the support trap, being gullible enough to think they could help me. If you have a different number to share with us, that would be great. Looking forward to hearing your story.

Guest fire3element

I apologize for not updating last night. I ended up doing a job late till 11:00pm.

Well as I posted before, I called the MAIN corporate location yesterday around 11am or so. The gentleman I spoke with was very respectful and seemed concerned. He assured me that he would have one of the executives look into the matter. He told me that someone would contact me within 48hours.

Now I understand that everyone is excited anticipating a resolution with this issue. Lets not push Verizon too hard just yet. Remember, Verizon seems to be the only ally we have at the moment. We want them to work with us. At this time it does not look like Samsung is going resolve the matter, so Verizon might be the last resort. Verizon corporate is looking into the matter. I say, let us give them a chance to do what they say they will do. If they don't, I will most certainly be contacting them back.

If Verizon still does not give me any answers... then it will be a free for all. I will post the Verizon Corporate phone# and everyone can have at them. Again, I understand all the frustration, but give them a chance to prove themselves. Good chance that Samsung is the culprit.

I will update you guys when I have more info.

Guest Echo30

Cool glad you're updating man!

Good idea not bombarding them or pushing them too hard. Keep it up, I wish this was on a PVR so I could fastforward to see how it turns out lol

Guest fire3element

Can anyone try to inform some other cellphone news websites. We are going to need a lot of support before this trip is over. I would inform them myself, but other people here know of better outlets than I. Plus I am kinda short on time. If we could get this thread to say 20,000 views or more, I think that it will demonstrate the serious nature of this problem.

Does anyone have any info on that petition that was sent to Samsung? I remember seeing the link to the site in a thread here on Modaco. I just don't have the time to thumb through every thread to find it. I thank you in advance.

Guest rpmm70
Can anyone try to inform some other cellphone news websites. We are going to need a lot of support before this trip is over. I would inform them myself, but other people here know of better outlets than I. Plus I am kinda short on time. If we could get this thread to say 20,000 views or more, I think that it will demonstrate the serious nature of this problem.

Does anyone have any info on that petition that was sent to Samsung? I remember seeing the link to the site in a thread here on Modaco. I just don't have the time to thumb through every thread to find it. I thank you in advance.

I submitted a "tip" on pocketnow.com about this. Hopefully they will follow up on it and post a story.

If Verizon still does not give me any answers... then it will be a free for all. I will post the Verizon Corporate phone# and everyone can have at them. Again, I understand all the frustration, but give them a chance to prove themselves. Good chance that Samsung is the culprit.

Does anyone else see this becoming an absolute s*** fight? :D (Something similiar to iPhone 4?)

It would be nice to have some answers though.

Guest amdzero
Does anyone else see this becoming an absolute s*** fight? :D (Something similiar to iPhone 4?)

It would be nice to have some answers though.

unfortunately I see this going nowhere. Don't get me wrong I have the same "problem" as all of you, lack of RAM. Not even a logical AMOUNT of RAM. But I honestly don't see this going anywhere NEAR the fame of iphone 4 antennagate.

Since the phone is aged and not extremely popular I'd be surprised that they do anything but offer an upgrade at a reduced price. Probably not even new phone.

I'd like to be wrong, and I hoping that I am, but I'm not being optimistic about this at all.

Since the phone is aged and not extremely popular I'd be surprised that they do anything but offer an upgrade at a reduced price. Probably not even new phone.

Oooh!! An upgrade would be AWESOME. :D Probably wouldn't bother me at all. lol

Guest Snow02

The problem I see is that the phone does physically contain 256 MB of ram. The issue is one of intentionally misleading, not necessary false, advertising. However, Verizon was clearly aware of this issue by saying it has 208 MB. There is definitely a case to be made. Especially with the samsung page showing 104 MB.

Guest tedkord

Looking at SKTools, under system information/Memory, it shows that the SCH-i920 has 152292kb of total program memory, and 214590kb total storage. That works out to 148MB of RAM, and 210MB storage space. So, that's a new set of numbers, clouding things even more.