i920 Owners Read This.

Guest fire3element

Guest johnkoone

I have an i8000 and am disgusted at being ripped off by Samsung. It was advertised as 256mb of Ram yet we are lucky to get it to run with 50mb. This makes the phone useless. I've only had the phone for 2 months and have been forced to give up on it and buy another phone. I've started a thread about the i8000 memory problems if you are interested.

Guest urphonesux

Have you flashed your phone?

after installing everything i have 143.17 storage memory free and 69.65 program memory free (taken from the windows memory screen while playing kick ass on touchplayer in the background) and i have no problems at all

Guest Snow02
Have you flashed your phone?

after installing everything i have 143.17 storage memory free and 69.65 program memory free (taken from the windows memory screen while playing kick ass on touchplayer in the background) and i have no problems at all

And if you had the memory advertised, you'd have ~183 MB free RAM (program memory). Therein lies the problem. The issue is that we are encountering auto-clcosing of programs if the phone has been running for more than a day. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to have a gps open, with music playing in the background, and maybe pop open the browser for a web search or something. Currently this means one, or all, programs auto-close. This is unacceptable given that it would not happen if the phone had the advertised amount of RAM.

But thank you for your input.

Guest urphonesux

Yes i can do that with no problem..........I could have more free ram but i did choose to flash to a lighter stock rom and not a base rom so that is to be expected

i can have at leats 6 apps open in my task switcher at any time without any phone slowdown and i have not experienced the auto closing issue .....................you were saying?

but then again this isnt my first winmo device so if you need any help i would be glad to assist you

Edited by urphonesux

Guest livebig
Yes i can do that with no problem..........I could have more free ram but i did choose to flash to a lighter stock rom and not a base rom so that is to be expected

i can have at leats 6 apps open in my task switcher at any time without any phone slowdown and i have not experienced the auto closing issue .....................you were saying?

but then again this isnt my first winmo device so if you need any help i would be glad to assist you

I don't think this thread needs to turn into debating which rom gives you the best chance of multi-tasking with the i8000 or i920. Myself, yes, I've tried custom ROMs for the i920.. and YES, I still get the auto close program. The POINT is that this phone DOES NOT have the physical amount of RAM that it was advertised to have <period>. In the U.S. there are laws against doing such a thing, which is why we have a very good case. Let's keep focus on this thread regarding investigating actual specs and how to contact Verizon & Samsung as well as collective group efforts.

If people want to investigate custom ROMs and waste many hours reinstalling/configuring... there are MANY threads already on modaco full of good information.

Any more updates fire?

I got a copy of my fcc complaint notice in the mail, so at least we know they're being processed.

Edited by Snow02

Guest livebig

I too am interested to see if fire3element has an update... Here is an update from my end. I decided to call Samsung support yesterday (one more time before I spoke to Verizon again) to see if Samsung had any different information or if their story changed. I made it to Level 3 support again and basically had a very similar story as last time I spoke with L3 support (over an hour conversation by the way). Like the L3 rep before, this L3 rep I spoke to was adamant that the phone does NOT have 208MB or 104MB RAM. He was using the i920 while I was on the phone and had one of his hardware Reps involved and he said the phone has 140MB of RAM. After getting his rep involved they must have taken it very seriously because he said they just opened a ticket on their end to change the website to show the 140MB.

Suprisingly, I just checked and they already changed their specs page to state 140MB RAM (leaving the disclaimer that actual usable memory may be less)... AND, this time they also updated their FAQ page to show the 140MB. [they changed their webpage less than 24hours later] I am attaching screenshots as well as a saved html copy of the samsung i920 specs page.

post-744119-1283365757_thumb.jpg

post-744119-1283365780_thumb.jpg

Samsung_OmniaII_Setp_1_10.zip

Edited by livebig

Well at least someone is finally admitting faulty in advertising. Ultimately though, Verizon advertised and sold the phone, and is therefore responsible to maintain truth in advertising. Bottom line.

Good info big. Thanks for the post.

I don't know if we're actually getting anywhere.

Yes, people are admitting their fault.

But has anyone been offered an upgrade or new device? Some kind of compensation?

I guess we just have to keep working at it!

Ultimately, I'd be happy with a discounted early upgrade. This is what SHOULD happen. Whether or not it does remains to be seen. I can't take another 20 months with this thing.

Ultimately, I'd be happy with a discounted early upgrade. This is what SHOULD happen. Whether or not it does remains to be seen. I can't take another 20 months with this thing.

Hmm.. All well and good for people on plans. :huh: Pre-Paid FTW. Or loss, in this instance.

Guest Rippleeffect

I'm really glad I found this thread since it totally shows me I wasn't going crazy.

I'm really shocked at how horrible the memory situation is with this.

On a fresh boot up, I get 60mb free. Loading up email and opera it drops down to 42mb. Whoops, I missed a call, let me check vmail, 36mb. Boss wants to know the phone number for a local business, google maps, 24mb.

What's even worse, this is long before I've added the Good client software to access work email/calendar. That drops the available ram to nothing. I can be typing an email... just an email and the app will close.

This phone is horribly unresponsive with anymore than 2 apps running. I cant even stream videos with just the video stream running.

I'm not sure how my company approved these for the users. They'll be getting a phone call today.

looks like a lot of i8000 owners are interested in this topic too. moving back to general section, per requests. sorry about that guys.

edit:

@ live big

i have recieved your request too, and it took me a while to read it, i'm sure that VZW's reps are not gonna be happy when they have conversations with you :huh: man, u have no idea how many requests i got after moving this to i920. looks like we have a lot of invisible people who are interested in this topic.

Guest WhoTheHellAmI

has anyone actually gotten a replacement phone (other than another Omnia II), and if so, under what conditions, and how much did it end up costing?

Guest fire3element

I apologize for my lack of input as of late. I have been so busy, I just forgot. Well I didn't forget. It would cross my mind from time to time, but I didn't have the time to deal with it. I have been checking my email and have not received any updates. I also sent an email to the lady from Level3 Tech at Samsung. I basically told her that enough was enough and that I thought it was time to talk with someone from Samsung Corporate. She emailed me back and said she was going to try one more department. Till today, I still have not heard anything. I emailed her on 8/20.

I also have not heard anything back from my Tech contact at Verizon. I was just about to call now, but I missed the business hours by 45min. I will try to contact him tomorrow. If no contact tomorrow, I will call first thing Monday morning.

Oh I almost forgot: THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE TAKEN INTEREST IN THIS THREAD

Let's keep pushing. I promise you, MAJOR COMPANYS DONT LIKE PRESSURE. This is the key to making our case.

Don't give up. Make your voice heard.

Edited by fire3element

Guest nhatdung2

I own a O2 & Google Nexus One.

The Nexus One have 512MB RAM but it allow me to use ~150mb only ~30%

The O2 have 256MB Ram and give me 65MB free ~ 26%

and i think it normal :P, the ram is for system usage.

Guest amdzero
I own a O2 & Google Nexus One.

The Nexus One have 512MB RAM but it allow me to use ~150mb only ~30%

The O2 have 256MB Ram and give me 65MB free ~ 26%

and i think it normal :P, the ram is for system usage.

This is not the normal, or at least we better not LET it become the normal.

A while back there was a group of black berry users who complained about not being able to use their GPS chip that was in their phone, because it would only send encrypted data to Verizon's own VZNavigator program. Had it not been for that lawsuit, and the MASSIVE complains from i910 users, the original Omnia phone might not have an unlock GPS system.

There are those who Make things happen,

There are thoes who Watch things happen,

And there are those who Let things happen.

Which one are you?

For example, my computer has 4 GB of ram, yet at any time I have between 1.5-2.5 GB actually free. However, the system recognizes and can use 4 GB as was advertised. This is the issue.

The O2 has 140 MB useable, of which roughly 60 MB is free on a fresh boot. If we had an additional 60-120 MB of ram as was advertised, the auto-close issues would be non-existant.

Guest nhatdung2
This is not the normal, or at least we better not LET it become the normal.

A while back there was a group of black berry users who complained about not being able to use their GPS chip that was in their phone, because it would only send encrypted data to Verizon's own VZNavigator program. Had it not been for that lawsuit, and the MASSIVE complains from i910 users, the original Omnia phone might not have an unlock GPS system.

There are those who Make things happen,

There are thoes who Watch things happen,

And there are those who Let things happen.

Which one are you?

I'm just a normal user :P

I just tell the true, i can post some screen shot here about Nexus One have the same issue. Of course they doesn't show me a RESERVED RAM like O2. But compare between O2 & N1 the ram free % is same. SS should tell us what they doing with those RESERVED but i think they will never do that. Is a traditional of SS. Doesn't care about customer. Even if we doesn't use SS Phone they can sell hardware to Apple, HTC, Nokia,... and still live good.

Guest vol-fisher

Guys here is a contact for Verizon Executive Relations named Tosha. 501-906-7316

Please contact her and voice your displeasure about the false advertisement that was used to sell us the phones. Mention that you have already filed an FCC complaint about false memory on both Samsung and Verizons part. Also, get here email address and send her links to this thread and any others that are out there. My 920 is now sitting here on the desk back in the box and will never see my hands again after finally getting a real phone, the DX. At this point, I am through with windows mobile and do not want another as a replacement. I am asking them to replace this with a refurbed Droid 1 since they are going away soon. They came out at the same time period as the 920, so I don't think it is too much to ask. We do not need to sit on the side any longer, we need to stick together and get something done as a group. Please update on this post any information you can get so we all have this when calling EACH DAY!

Thanks!!!!

Guest fire3element

Sorry guys for not posting. Been a little busy. So I did call my Verizon contact on Monday, but it was a holiday and everyone was off. Now the tech guy was there, but he could not give me any more info than what he had. Since everyone was off, he couldn't contact anybody for more info. He told me to give him till the end of Wednesday for an update. That was yesterday. I tried to call him today, but his extension is telling me that he is not available. He might be off for the day. I think I am going to call the main office and push for some info.

@ Vol-Fisher: I think that swapping the i920 for another phone is a fair trade, however due to my experience with refurbished phones I wont except a refurb. I PAID $300 for this phone, plus tax and the 2yr contract. Now I will forgive the contract since Verizon allowed me to upgrade to the Droid X without penalty. A very good move by Verizon, but I still have the paperweight and a bad taste in the mouth.

If I wanted the Droid 1, then thats what I would have bought. I chose to wait for the omnia 2 for many reasons. The i920 had a 800mhz processor, a GOOD 5mp camera (not the junk on the droid), 256mb RAM (heh... so we thought), a power saving and vibrant AMOLED display, long battery life, WinMo 6.5, TV out, loud stereo speakers, and a well-built design. While my Droid X has a 8mp camera and a big display, it still falls short of the i920 in places. The camera is not nearly as good and it's 8mp vs 5mp to boot. The screen isn't as vibrant or efficient (and thats not due to the size). It doesn't have very good battery life (I might make 15 hours before it is dead). Can't hear the darn thing ring, and forget listening to music or radio while you are working. Drops 3g signal alot, then I have to reboot to get it back. As a matter of fact, my Omnia 1 had a better camera. Oh and did I mention the battery life sucks?

So while swapping out the i920 for a Droid X is "considered" an upgrade, going to a Droid 1 would be a set back. Even though the specs are similar, the Droid 1 and i920 cannot compare. So I do not think I would except the Droid 1 as the replacement. Definitely not a Refurb. I did not pay $300+tax for a used "Certified Like New" i920. Samsung needed to step up and fix this problem or give everyone a refund. But as I said before, too late to fix it now. I have moved on to a newer device and never ever used my i920. I kept on using my USED beat up i910 that did what I asked it to.

Guest WhoTheHellAmI

@fire3element

Lucky for you, you still had your O1, I sold mine just as my O2 arrived. I got $70 for it, but immediately after selling it, I began to notice the problems with this particular phone. If they are willing to replace this O2 with a new phone, currently worth the same as I originally paid for the O2, that would be ideal.