Trading Omnia 2 in for HTC desire, need advice

Guest dawo5010

Guest dawo5010

First, i can trade in my Omnia II for SGD$300

I will get a phone from www.singtelshop.com

Desire: SGD$548 with contract and iPhone 4: est. SGD600++

Now i need a recommendation: Should i get Desire or iPhone 4?

In terms of:

1)Pricing (not THAT important)

2)Core apps (email, sms, etc) functionality&speed [Most Important]

3)Regularity of Updates & new features

4)Social Networking

5)Gaming graphics/availability/fun-ness

6)OPTIONAL:Call filtering/Call blocking/Call recording

7)Final recommendation

Hate my Omnia II, the core apps are laggy.

Hope to hear from u guys, whether u find the desire worth my hard-earned cash.

Thanks.

Note: Don't call me an apple fan, personally i hate them, but the point is that i cant find a phone which the CORE APPS launch quickly and not lag at all. Keep reading about bad reviews about other phones. Plus now there is JailbreakMe, so i was considering, but iPhones are ex.

Guest charlie_boy
First, i can trade in my Omnia II for SGD$300

I will get a phone from www.singtelshop.com

Desire: SGD$548 with contract and iPhone 4: est. SGD600++

Now i need a recommendation: Should i get Desire or iPhone 4?

In terms of:

1)Pricing (not THAT important)

2)Core apps (email, sms, etc) functionality&speed [Most Important]

3)Regularity of Updates & new features

4)Social Networking

5)Gaming graphics/availability/fun-ness

6)OPTIONAL:Call filtering/Call blocking/Call recording

7)Final recommendation

Hate my Omnia II, the core apps are laggy.

Hope to hear from u guys, whether u find the desire worth my hard-earned cash.

Thanks.

Note: Don't call me an apple fan, personally i hate them, but the point is that i cant find a phone which the CORE APPS launch quickly and not lag at all. Keep reading about bad reviews about other phones. Plus now there is JailbreakMe, so i was considering, but iPhones are ex.

You're going to to get the same response from everyone here. This is a desire forum after all. I believe the desire is faster and better in every respect. Call barring of any number is easy. Email and other core apps are excellent. Every ipants4 owner I know regrets getting it.

Edited by charlie_boy

Guest Asselberghs

Good to hear m8.

I too hate apple, due to a row of bad experience with apple products:)

I am a HTC Desire owner, my recommendation is go for a Desire.

Here´s why:

1) I am not going into pricing deliberately it depends on what deal you can find.

2) Android in it self is speedy, very freaking good and stable:D I don´t experience problems at all, I think I had one crash on an app for now, since I bought my Desire right at the release date. And the case was it took me 2 secounds to start it up again no damage done.

As to the functionality the core apps are good, they work haven´t experienced any thing bad on the core apps.

But if you find you are missing something, you fancy a certain feature or a special design you can properly find an alternative that will suit you in the market, often a free one:)

3)Updates: often enough that you go, wow these guys care about their app and don´t just go "thats good enough" but not so often that you feel you get spammed with updates. When you update it´s usually a bunch of apps at the same time and even so the update is done damned quickly. I don´t look at the change log mostly because I am happy with the features that are in my apps, but I update them for security reasons don´t want there to be bugs in my phone or it´s apps that can be exploited.

4)Social networking, there´s an app for that:) heh I think it´s the Android motto by now,it´s easy to get Facebook on the phone and theres a bunch of twitter apps out there.

If you go with the stock Desire rom from HTC without flashing new roms you also get friendstream which is a widget merging twitter and facebook updates into one.

I haven´t managed to get Friendstream on my costum rom from MoDaCo but that don´t bother me much.

5) To be honest m8 I´ve got no clue, I don´t game on my cellphone. But theres a big game section in the android market I know, so it´s not a problem i´d say, plus Android phones are some of the most powerful devices on the market they are far more powerful, seen on the side of hardware specs, than the Iphone is.

6)I don´t have experience with that so honestly I can´t tell you, I diden´t focus on it.

7)My final recommendation would be this. Buy a HTC Desire. Once you go Android you never go back dude:)

Ohh btw what I´ve heard of Iphone is that the damned thing in addition to being inferior to Android devices is that the bloody thing can´t even make phone calls, all I ever hear about Iphone on RSS news from diff. tech news sites is the antenna is having trouble, wow apple is making a "next gen phone?" don´t make me laugh and it can´t even make phone calls. Nicely done apple...NOT!!

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest samac92

Everyone here is going to tell you the Desire. Just go and try them out at a store if possible.

Both phones are very fast, neither are going to feel slow at all.

iPhone pros:

Camera is far better on the iPhone,

Gaming is miles ahead on the iPhone (do not get an Android phone if you want to get some decent games)

Keyboard is far better

3rd part apps - huge selection, and all very high quality. All Android apps seems second best, e.g the facebook app doesn't even have fb chat.

Very highly polished UI.

iTunes

Android pros:

Android has more customisation, but as you said if you jailbreak then you get that with the iPhone.

Price

Personally, I would have bought the iPhone if it wasn't for the price, as you can have almost all the Android pros if you jailbreak :)

Guest dawo5010

Camera... +1 for iPhone

Gaming: Thats +1 for iPhone

iPhone keyboard is better? Really? i have issues typing on my ipod touch! +1 for Android

I prefer Sense since it has FriendStream.+1 for HTC&Android

iTunes on Android? Doubletwist.(tiebreaker between desire and iPhone)

Personally i went to read iPhone 4 reviews and me being more of a geek i would go with android(+1 for android)

what i need to hear from u guys is about:

1)The Keyboard (size/accuracy)

2)The battery life. (i know the iPhone wins hands-on on this, so just give me recommendations on how to save battery on a desire)

Most likely taking a HTC desire.

As a student, i find android more interesting too, plus i can switch to silent mode in the lockscreen or polite ringer.

Highly polished UI.. hmm in iPhone u can't do anything from the homescreen, thats one reason why too.

Edited by dawo5010

Guest le_lutin
Camera... +1 for iPhone

Gaming: Thats +1 for iPhone

iPhone keyboard is better? Really? i have issues typing on my ipod touch! +1 for Android

I prefer Sense since it has FriendStream.+1 for HTC&Android

iTunes on Android? Doubletwist.(tiebreaker between desire and iPhone)

Personally i went to read iPhone 4 reviews and me being more of a geek i would go with android(+1 for android)

what i need to hear from u guys is about:

1)The Keyboard (size/accuracy)

2)The battery life. (i know the iPhone wins hands-on on this, so just give me recommendations on how to save battery on a desire)

Most likely taking a HTC desire.

As a student, i find android more interesting too, plus i can switch to silent mode in the lockscreen or polite ringer.

For me, the camera is much better on the iphone, but you don't mind about that, so it's ok.

As for the keyboard, i'd have to agree with samac92 that the iphone's is better.

The loudspeaker on the desire isn't very good.

Battery life - well there's probably not that much in it. You'll be charging them both every night, but could get a couple of days out of either one.

From the sound of it, you're leaning more towards the desire even though you know its weaknesses and I think that's a good sign, so go for it and you won't be disappointed.

Guest dawo5010

Aw damn, just found out froyo ain't for singapore yet.. if it comes out for s'pore before aug 16 (re-contract date) i might consider the iphone 4, plus my friend just got one, its quite okay.. especially with jailbreak (which i helped him to do)

Guest Asselberghs

Bahh, buy Desire, Root it, and by that time Paul will I am sure, have released the Costum MoDaCo rom of the Official HTC release of Android 2.2 thus you get froyo on you phone:)

Guest dawo5010

does it void warranty? and can someone find out if thickbuttons works on desire?

@le_lutin the reason why i still like desire coz all the cons so far listed, except for batt, is correctable via software update.

Edited by dawo5010

Guest Asselberghs
does it void warranty? and can someone find out if thickbuttons works on desire?

@le_lutin the reason why i still like desire coz all the cons so far listed, except for batt, is correctable via software update.

Yes rooting voids warranty as for the thickbuttons app, yes it is in Android Market just tested works fine.

Guest dawo5010

is there any way to 'restore' the device in the case of needing to go back to service centre? or else i'll just wait for warranty to end

Guest xTc is loVe
ok thanks, will look forward to my desire.. 12 more days!

Good!

The Iphone is a very very good Phone in the way its build: It can start Apps! WOW nothing more nothing less for me. THe Iphone is a boring all day phone!If u play around with your phone much an Iphone is always the last Alternative.